military number plates

chevpol

This may sound strange, but does anybody collect military number plates? (originals, repro ones for your vehicles dont count!!)

With and without flash, the bottom one is a bit strange with the flash, I dont think the Colorado hasnt been issued, no month or year stamps.

Anyway, comments etc!!!

Mark :cool:

2008_11020002.jpg

2008_11020003.jpg

It could just be that Colorado don't require their NG vehicles to be annually restamped, instead relying on paperwork in each "NG Armory" to certify their vehicles roadworthy (annual plate changes being their form of MOT sticker and Road Tax certificate rolled into one, after all). That sound plausible?

Well... it was only an idle thought :) I also notice that the Colorado plate omits the aircraft logo, meaning presumably that there is another design for the Colorado ANG (Air National Guard). Of course, it could also be that this is merely a draft plate for consideration purposes. *shrugs*

Best bet? Contact the State of Colorado Department that deals with National Guard stuff, and ask 'em ;)

This is a bit different. Good call.

I had a miserable time trying to get Bundeswehr plates for my Iltis and gave up when it became apparent that the German government forbade reproductions of them without an EU flag logo. Thus ruining the whole effect. They were easy enough to make - but Mr Rick W took the thing off me and gave it some love.

MB

• 1 year later...
This is a bit different. Good call.

I had a miserable time trying to get Bundeswehr plates for my Iltis and gave up when it became apparent that the German government forbade reproductions of them without an EU flag logo. Thus ruining the whole effect. They were easy enough to make - but Mr Rick W took the thing off me and gave it some love.

MB

I know my reply is a long time too late but...

I was researching this week and found a supplier of bundeswehr reproductions. The only thing they are missing is the small white/black bundeswehr eagle decal. I'm going to order a set tomorrow for show use.

Chris.

I was researching this week and found a supplier of bundeswehr reproductions. The only thing they are missing is the small white/black bundeswehr eagle decal. I'm going to order a set tomorrow for show use.

Chris.

when you get them could you put a pic on here ? would probably like a set for the Munga....

MilNoPlatea.jpg

Dscf9896.jpg

Speaking of repro plates, it occurred to me a while back that the actual print-face (font) used in British plates for period vehicles is more often than not just wrong - they're using the modern font, not the old 1940s and 1950s font - in the two plates of the three you've shown above, the first uses the modern font, the second the correct font (probably as it's an original).

And no, I haven't a clue where to find the font - I've been looking on and off for a year on this, so any ideas would be welcome!

Chris.

Chris

the "Bundesadler" (Eagle) sticker is a legal proof of registration. To affix it to a non-registered plate would contravene German Traffic AND Criminal law. For anyone to be in possession of such stickers, other than the appropiate registration authority, is also an offence and carries a sentence of up to 5 years nick! When a German vehicle is deregistered the sticker (also known as a Siegel, or seal) is removed.

I know, because I've got a car dealer in my nick for being in possession of a bunch of stickers (albeit for the City of Frankfurt) - he's just got 3 years. The civil servant who supplied him has been suspended and will go on trial shortly.

I would suggest photographing a Bundeswehr number plate, cut out print the seal and apply it. As you'll only displaying in the UK (I hope!), you wont contravene German (or EU) law.

Roger

Edited by schliesser92
typos

For those that are interested, here's some material from my archives.

Remember - Bundeswehr plates do NOT have the EU logo on the left, and the plates are, in contrast to normal civvy plates, non-reflective (sort of makes sense).

Y1.jpg

Y2.gif

Y3.gif

Y4.jpg

remember, certain variants of the Munga require the square plate for the rear

Edited by schliesser92
typos

OK, just found the nearest candidate by a long chalk...

Basic Character set:

Mock-up plates

The font is called "Liberation Sans Bold", it's freeware (GNU), and can be found here: http://www.dafont.com/Liberation-Sans.Font

Good for printing up mock-ups while you wait for the actual plates to arrive :)

uk-military-numb
.jpg

uk-military-numb
.jpg

• 5 months later...