For real or not for real - that is the question!!

ArtistsRifles

Got this in the e-mail tonight - and I'm not sure if it's genuine or not.. Whats the collective wisdom on the forum say:

Dear Owner,

I'm interesting in buying off your ( Warsaw Pact 7.62mm PKT) posted for sales and I will like to know your final asking price for your adverts posted for sale and the present conditions also i will like to see some pictures of it and if its available,you can attached it and send it to me as soon as possible.Hope to read from you soonest.

Have a great day.

Cheers,

Mueenat ****tu

I'm inclined to the phoney side myself as the only places these are advertised is MilWeb and here - and in both places there are photo's of the weapons together with the asking price....

The give away is the brackets, where his computer program inserts the title of every advert on milweb when it trawls through the site. This is why email addresses shouldn't be published on a site like that....

Chris

Chris is right about the brackets and the pick up by a 'trawler'.

However, if you want you can have significant fun pissing them about at their own game, just dont give an inkling of where you are! :) I came across a thread way back on a scooter forum which listed the exchanges between a scammer and a punter who strung him along beautifully for ages - even managed to get a token $1 out of the scammer via Western Union just to 'verify his account' etc. hilarious reading and I often thought I ought to have saved a copy just to do the same if ever I had the chance. Now if everyone did that who received one of these mails.... I reckon it might snarl up their mail boxes no end.

Do it Neil - I replied to an email asking for help to move some money out of Africa - poor soul - member of his family had died.

I called him on the number (mobile) in the email - I asked where abouts in the country was in and he said London - I said I too lived in London and seeing as he was kind enough to make me a millionaire just by helping him I thought it was only the polite thing to do was to meet up............the phone went dead.

OK Folks - let the wind-up begin:

Sent: 23 October 2008 23:03

To: 'mueenatbukky@yahoo.com'

Subject: RE: Interested

Dear Mueenat,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the PKT's for sale. Obviously you understand that, as these are still in current service this is reflected in the asking price of £3,000 (or, if you prefer $4,900 US). They are in first class condition for their age of manufacture. You must also realize that these can only be used in a particular type of vehicle. If you let me know what country you want them shipped to I will provide you with details of a secure courier shipment to this location.

Regards,

Mr N. Plucknett

Yep - it's a scammer alright!!! Usual one - they offer to pay a bit over if you cash their cheque....

Hi,

Thanks for the mail, I am ok with the price as for the payment i will be paying you with a cashier cheque drawn in United Kingdom therefore i will need the following information.

Your Full Name

Full Address

Zip Code

Telephone Number

Also note that the cheque that i will be sending to you will include the money for the shipping of the item so i will like to know if you receive the cheque and cash the money and you deduct the money for the sales of your item would you be able to send the remaining funds to my shipping company so that they can come down to your location to come and pickup the item. I will compensate you with extra £100 i will be waiting to read from you so that i can issue out the payment immidiately.

Thanks await to read from you.

Mueenat

It's now bloody obvious this <censored> has NO idea what it is he thinks he's going to scam me for - so here's the reply that went back (gawd these idiots must be SO thick!!) :rofl::rofl::

Hi Mueenat,

I reget that, due to changes in UK banking policies earlier this year, I am unable to accept a cheque in payment for this type of item. Probably the best way forwards if you are really serious about wishing to purchase these PKT's would be if you could provide me with the following:

A valid credit (NOT debit) card number

Name it's issued to (as shown on the card)

Issue and Expiry dates

The 3-digit security code from the signature strip on the rear.

I can then contact my bank and they will submit a payment claim for the amount required. Once this is competed and the funds transferred over (shouldn't take more than 5 working days) I can get the item packaged and despatched under plain wrapping. I still need you to give a shipping address though

Which leads us to the next question - how many do you want/need??

Regards,

Neil.

• 2 weeks later...