Austin k6 tipper

saracenstump

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A tipper - would this have been original fitment for military service, or a common postwar conversion?

wot o N.O.S, it is an original fitment mostly supplied to the RAF for repairing airfields, there is a small write up in the late mike connifords military vehicle pamphlet number 3 austin k6 but it does t say how many were built of this variant,

hope this helps

wot o saracenstump, great lorry, good luck with restoration i have a friend near me who has one in pristine condition ex RAF but in civvi colours if you need any help just PM me

regards

cheers mate will do,got the rest of the parts today so now looks a bit more like a lorry at the front anyway,jason wheres those photos!!!!

These photos should assist in restoring the body of the K6 they are of a original RAF truck here painted Blue with black chassis and front mudguards and show a genuine RAF number to boot. Graham have you got that right about the late Mike Conniford i was talking to him about 4 months ago and we have been friends for nearly 40 years and i feel i would have been informed if something had happened

cheers

Les

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

hmvf3.jpg

hmvf4.jpg

These photos should assist in restoring the body of the K6 they are of a original RAF truck here painted Blue with black chassis and front mudguards and show a genuine RAF number to boot. Graham have you got that right about the late Mike Conniford i was talking to him about 4 months ago and we have been friends for nearly 40 years and i feel i would have been informed if something had happened

cheers

Les

wot o les, my sincerest appologies to him, i got my pamphlet off ebay and that was in the write up also if you google austin k6 4th down on 1st page is a ww2 book shop stating the same, not very nice is it

if you could pass on my appologies to him

thanks

In this lower photo, there is a radiator surround to the left of the truck, it does not look like an Austin one, have you photo of this part?

You are correct, but it did come with the, loory. I haven't got any photo's of it at the moment. Do you know what it is from????

You are correct, but it did come with the, loory. I haven't got any photo's of it at the moment. Do you know what it is from????

Difficult to say, from that angle, but vertical bars remind me of a Mack or an Opel Blitz, need to see it from the front really.

this is like one of Clive's Mystery Objects" :)

Difficult to say, from that angle, but vertical bars remind me of a Mack or an Opel Blitz, need to see it from the front really.

stuart(saracenstump) thought it was from a mack

cheers

Les

LES very interesting 2 distinct versions, the top pair with the underbody ram also have a one piece complete mudguard attached to the chassis, the version with the Edbro type ram has the rear portion of a mudguard on the tipping body frame , the front portion on the chassis. The bodies are also very different the Edbro type has 2 equal body side boards the other looks unequal, only the underbody has a behind cab spsre wheel carrier. ??

most interesting

TED

In this lower photo, there is a radiator surround to the left of the truck, it does not look like an Austin one, have you photo of this part?

richard i have got a front photo of this part for you

DSC00672.jpg

Just a thought looking again at the underbody ram version there are 2 devices each side with like a D shaped handle I wonder if this is a 3 wat tipper version and they are the locking levers for sideways tipping ??

TED

I think you may well be right Ted, I wondered if it could be a side tipping version but hadn't noticed the locking? handles.

Edited by Degsy