National Service 60th Anniversary Weekend

Heads up on the latest plans to mark National Service 60th next year

I have managed to talk the Great Central Railway into formally marking the 60th Anniversary of National Service over the weekend of 8th/9th August 2009. As previously outlined, the GCR in Leicestershire is a restored 8 mile double track main line steam railway that recreates the 1950/60's BR scene.

This doesn't detract from my plans to encourage anyone interested in joining in with a post Xmas opportunity to don period post war attire and travel behind steam, to join me on Sunday 4th Jan to mark the Anniversary proper (1st Jan 1948) - all arms all ranks welcome - in 1948-62 period attire.

Back to August 09 - Uniformed re-enactors will be welcome and encouraged and vehicles will be welcome to head to Quorn Station for display. Expect discount travel arrangements for NS veterans and possibly uniformed persons, but don't have any more details than that at the moment.

Expect to be liaising with RBL etc ref them publicising it, but open to suggestions as to how it might be enhanced.

This could turn out to be a fantastic opportunity for all you post war vehicle boys and girls to get your vehicles in front of the folks that used them.

Finally, NO WORLD WAR TWO VEHICLES please, unless they are in appropriate post war markings!

Neil

----------------------------

I'd rather drive a champ than push a jeep!

Did I just write that?

I'm sure the irony of moi organising a post war vehicle event will raise a smile or two somewhere!! Henry Kissinger eat your heart out!

Could I just reiterate, NO WORLD WAR TWO VEHICLES please, unless they are in appropriate post war markings!

great_central_rail_053.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
So did this event happen?? anyone on here attend:confused:

Erm, well I took the 80" on the Saturday. I hope they had a better turn out on the Sunday :yawn:

There were a few folks dressed the part and a grand total of 4 military vehicles. This pic is a bit deceptive as the classic car run only parked up for a picnic then disapeared again

P8080075.jpg

But at least I got to ride on the steam train! :)