Early War Paint colours

thedawnpatrol

Hello Guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is your opinion of the early, 1940 British vehicle colours, I have to to spray, a MCC CDSW and a CS8, both want to be in the mid 1940 colours with the early Cammo paint work.

Whats colours should I use ? I was told Dark Bronze Green ?

Any photos would help also.

Cheers

Jules

The scheme in June 1939 was the basic colour Khaki Green No.3 with disruptive Dark Green No.4 for average European conditions or for very light backgrounds Light Green No.5. AFAIK the next revision was Nov 1941.

I'm afraid I don't know if any corresponded to BS colours of the time as that would have been the 1931 standard & there were only 57 colours at that stage.

Mike Starmer has examined and matched unexposed samples of KG No.3 and (probably) Light Green No.5 disruptive from my 1939 Norton which was abandoned in Belgium in 1940 and unused since. In addition to his modelling colour mixes, he analysed samples with the Vintage Paint Company who can now match with vehicle colours.

Mike has also written an article for Rob van den Brink's WD Norton site.

http://www.wdnorton.nl/Colours.html

Khaki Green No. 3 is definitely the correct base colour. The suggestion is that Dark Green No. 4 was the preferred disruptive colour but my motorcycle was Light Green No.5 (quite a hastily applied diagonal type of overpainting, presumably applied in theatre).

Vehicles at that time seem to have been delivered in KG No.3 and the camouflage applied later. I think that you can make your own choice there. Black and white photos are a difficult source due to the differing film types and correction filters used. Most of the 'official' photographs from 1939 - 1940 were taken on large format cameras with great attention paid to atmosphere in both composition and developing.

IWM O 838 has a few nice examples of 1939 / 40 BEF disruptive.

morris15cwtml8.th.jpg

It looks as if the base colour is the lighter, thus KG No.3 and that the darker overpaint is DG No.4. This would suggest that the 2 Div Crossed keys were applied after the camo which is not impossible as the insignia was chosen after the Battalions arrived in France.

I found some colour under brackets on one of my CS8 wrecks ... the steering column clamp and such - the colour I found to be the N0.5 Light bronze green . I think some vehicles were N0. 5 overall base coat .

I have one original wooden side panel from a CS8.. this was painted in No3. with the darker No.4 disruptive over .

Mike

I took this pic 5 minutes ago.

The side of my Morris PU.. it's still has the original ww2 colours ... 2 greens very faded of course . You can see the later coat of light stone speckled there too.. it has fallen off .

Mike

100_1962.jpg