Kit Bag

cripp

Looks the same as my old RN one, not sure on the service number though, is that navy? mine started with a single letter 6 numbers and another single letter late seventies era? try looking for the service number on a search engine, perhaps war graves site.

Re your Kit bag, I new that the number rang a bell down here and after a quick search of DVA records here is the real owner's.

Service record

In addition to viewing this service record, you can also

# produce a certificate of this service record

# get help with the certificate

# view an explanation of the service record details

# request a full service record from the National Archives of Australia

Service Record

Name TWENEY, ALAN HUBERT

Service Australian Army

Service Number VX2261

Date of Birth 11 May 1909

Place of Birth KENT, ENGLAND

Date of Enlistment 27 Nov 1939

Locality on Enlistment ROMSEY, VIC

Place of Enlistment SOUTH MELBOURNE, VIC

Next of Kin TWENEY, ESSIE

Date of Discharge 20 Oct 1941

Rank Private

Posting at Discharge 9 DIVISION AUSTRALIAN ARMY SERVICES CORPS

WW2 Honours and Gallantry None for display

Prisoner of War No

Copyright Commonwealth of Australia 2002.

The question now is were did you get it, or how did you get it,and were 9 Div in the middle east prior to his being discharged. did he return to Kent? and what are you going to to with it?

I bought a WWII US pup tent a couple of years ago. When I picked it up from the seller it was in that bag. He said it was his dad's and had been in the shed for years. He was just clearing out, I presume his dad had died. I told him to let me know if he found anything else but I never heard from him again.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Probably keep it unless it's going to make me rich.:-D

Brilliant information Shakey,:clap: all I was expecting was someone to say "it's British" or something.

During the first great war the government tryed twice to introduce conscription and failed. the only time we had conscription was during the Vietnam War. I note Paul that you live in Kent so If you obtained it in Kent then he probably returned home (place of birth). The 9th Div are the Rats of Tobruk from April to December 1941.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-battles/ww2/tobruk.htm

Edited by Shakey985
Added link

Posting at Discharge 9 DIVISION AUSTRALIAN ARMY SERVICES CORPS

WW2 Honours and Gallantry None for display

Prisoner of War No

Copyright Commonwealth of Australia 2002.

No mention of campaign medals, I have a felling that he didn't return to Australia, if we can find the son again he might no.

Has anyone tried the phone book for his family living in Kent (his place of birth and Paul's location of were he got it) ?

Paul if you search here you can get his service record, its not for free but cheep. http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/explore/defence/service-records/army-wwii.aspx#section1

If the kit bag was with him threw out his army life and he was deployed overseas then it becomes an item of interest that could be displayed along with were its been and how you got the information.

Good Luck

Great Stuff Mark. :tup::

Paul if you search here you can get his service record, its not for free but cheep. http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/explore/defence/service-records/army-wwii.aspx#section1

If the kit bag was with him threw out his army life and he was deployed overseas then it becomes an item of interest that could be displayed along with were its been and how you got the information.

Good Luck

Thanks for that. Ordered a copy of the records. Just got to wait and see what's in it now.