Modern UORs

SPTA team

Yes I know they are not old but thought you would like to see what all your taxes have been paying for. I got an invite by 43 Wessex BGD to have a look at the new UOR vehicles that are currently being used in Ganny and Iraq. UOR means Urgent Operational Requirements.

Pictures are. Tomcar trials vehicle. WMIK(E). Jackal. Snatch3. Panther. Ridgeback. Mastiff. Bulldog WRAP2. Warrior WRAP2. Scimitar with honey combe Armour with bar Armour wrap. Spartan with bar Armour. GMLRS. Oshkosh HET with bar Armour. MAN with bar Armour and finaly a BVS10 with full bar Armour.

HMVF2.jpg

HMVF4.jpg

HMVF5.jpg

HMVF14.jpg

HMVF9.jpg

HMVF7.jpg

HMVF6.jpg

HMVF10.jpg

HMVF12.jpg

HMVF1.jpg

HMVF3.jpg

HMVF13.jpg

HMVF15.jpg

HMVF16.jpg

HMVF8.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Tony

Hi I'm the driver of the sparton, I'm with ATDU. I don't feel you should be talking about this security sensetive equipment and especially the armour suites on an open forum let alone displaying photo's that were taken at a non public event. Careless talk really does cost the lives of service personel!

Hello Craig

Firstly all these picture were taken at the UOR media day hosted by HQLF / ITDU Warminster. All invites where sent out to media via whitehall of which I got one. While at the event we got AAA including looking at all new vehicles and photographing every one. I'm not saying what you have said is not correct but the idea of media days is to give media ie News papers, TV and web hosting sites like mine and many more the chance to see and share such vehicles with the public. Like with Grand Challenge and Indian Army with the Mercian Regiment, the UOR event had a lot of TV film crews attending. These were also backed up by members of MMI, Jane's and god knows how many rags and web sites. I will remove the affending picture for you.

Like I say all these picture where taken at the HQLF media Demonstration day 18th September 2008.

Sorry for any offence caused.

Tony

Edited by SPTA team

• 6 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but having taken the new Support Vehicle to Beaulieu Motor Museum at a Mil Veh display last year i know a bit or 2 about the wheeled UOR's.

Actually its not really the thickness of armour but what its made up of. The level of protection and what it can sustain is classified but the thickness doesnt really help anyone.

The thickness of armour from WW2 in armoured vehicles will be thicker than armour in some modern wheeled vehicles yet the modern stuff can withstand greater explosive force.

The UOR demo days are there to give the public, the taxpayers, what their money is being spent on and enabling the Government to say that they are spending loads (literally) to equip soldiers out on Ops. Due to my job i saw today PANTHER, MASTIFF, RIDGEBACK, EPLS, MAN SV and loads of others being readied for Afghanistan. All costing a pretty penny.

the Jackal was at the Lord Mayor's show in London. The guys were only to happy to let me poke and photograph. Many of the members of the Forum have military or para military experience. None of us are stupid, we all know when to keep our mouths shut.

First time one goes operational, it will be under scrutiny by the enemy, and by the time they have thrown everything at it, they will know what its about, fortunately, with exception of the usual Land Rover stuff, they all look pretty good, id rather be in the Panther or a Mastiff any day compared to the Snatch.

I do like the go faster spoiler on the Scimitar, they must have the toy manufacturing rights on that!!

Simply LOVE the look of those exposed Jerry cans on the back of the sand coloured variant of the Mastiff 'Pickup'!...................:cool2: Hope they arent carrying full ones when they deploy in Afganistan! :shake:

Yes I know they are not old but thought you would like to see what all your taxes have been paying for. I got an invite by 43 Wessex BGD to have a look at the new UOR vehicles that are currently being used in Ganny and Iraq. UOR means Urgent Operational Requirements.

Pictures are. Tomcar trials vehicle. WMIK(E). Jackal. Snatch3. Panther. Ridgeback. Mastiff. Bulldog WRAP2. Warrior WRAP2. Scimitar with honey combe Armour with bar Armour wrap. Spartan with bar Armour. GMLRS. Oshkosh HET with bar Armour. MAN with bar Armour and finaly a BVS10 with full bar Armour.

HMVF2.jpg

HMVF4.jpg

HMVF5.jpg

HMVF14.jpg

HMVF9.jpg

HMVF7.jpg

HMVF6.jpg

HMVF10.jpg

HMVF12.jpg

HMVF1.jpg

HMVF3.jpg

HMVF13.jpg

HMVF15.jpg

HMVF16.jpg

HMVF8.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Tony

Slim chance that the Jerricans will go up. Diesel wont ignite that easily if a round hits it. Depending on the temp of the fuel. But dont forget most of those pics are showing the veh's in "PR" type poses. Whats carried on Ops may look different.

Slim chance that the Jerricans will go up. Diesel wont ignite that easily if a round hits it. Depending on the temp of the fuel. But dont forget most of those pics are showing the veh's in "PR" type poses. Whats carried on Ops may look different.

I thought of that. What I was thinking was if fuel leaked out after a hit, it would make that gun platform VERY slippery & Dangerous! Deisel burns very well actually. Look at the new No.2 Cookers! In the desert, extra fuel is always carried, but I would have thought it should be stowed in armoured lockers? Of course it's safer than Petrol, But, It's still a very real Hazzard!

A close hit with an RPG wouldnt leave the fuel spilt alone! :sweat:

As you know, the Ragheads LOVE the RPG & use it very frequently! :coffee:

More armoured lockers mean more weight, which then goes towards limiting the ability and mobility of the platform itself.

Without getting into a pissing contest of diesel burning, at temp below 54 degrees C, diesel is actually quite hard to ignite, in fact it wont with the introduction of a spark. Anyone knowing the workings of a CI engine will tell you its the compression process of causing diesel to ignite etc. When the temp is really cold other processes to help this ignition process are the old EasiStart (bane of my life!) and glowplugs. In the new MAN vehicles we have fuel heaters etc.

IF we were that worried about it, we wouldnt of bolted 2x205ltrs drums of diesel on the back of Challenger Tanks.:shocked:

Diesel is so difficult to burn (outside of an engine obviously) that I understand that the Abrams' fuel tanks are actually designed to provide wet protection to crew and ammunition.

Diesel is so difficult to burn (outside of an engine obviously) that I understand that the Abrams' fuel tanks are actually designed to provide wet protection to crew and ammunition.

Mmmm, lovely! getting shot to bits and swimming in diesel!

There's not much diesel in an Abrams, it has a gas turbine engine.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought of that. What I was thinking was if fuel leaked out after a hit, it would make that gun platform VERY slippery & Dangerous! Deisel burns very well actually. Look at the new No.2 Cookers! In the desert, extra fuel is always carried, but I would have thought it should be stowed in armoured lockers? Of course it's safer than Petrol, But, It's still a very real Hazzard!

A close hit with an RPG wouldnt leave the fuel spilt alone! :sweat:

As you know, the Ragheads LOVE the RPG & use it very frequently! :coffee:

Think back to the Soviets in Afghanistan and the Iraqi forces in GW-1 when using BMP-1 and-2 vehicles where the rear doors are actually fuel cells with about 150 litres of diesel in each. Squads riding inside when hit up the backside by API rounds or RPG's got roasted alive if they didn't have the upper hatches at least ready to open if not actually open..... Even if they did they were burnt to some degree....

Not a nice way to go..... :-( :-(

More armoured lockers mean more weight, which then goes towards limiting the ability and mobility of the platform itself.

Without getting into a pissing contest of diesel burning, at temp below 54 degrees C, diesel is actually quite hard to ignite, in fact it wont with the introduction of a spark. Anyone knowing the workings of a CI engine will tell you its the compression process of causing diesel to ignite etc. When the temp is really cold other processes to help this ignition process are the old EasiStart (bane of my life!) and glowplugs. In the new MAN vehicles we have fuel heaters etc.

IF we were that worried about it, we wouldnt of bolted 2x205ltrs drums of diesel on the back of Challenger Tanks.:shocked:

Points noted & Digested. BUT, as you may be aware in the 'Sunny Climbs Theatre' One of the 'favoured weapons of choice of your Enemy', is the RPG. Having fired & tested many of these I can attest to the amount of sparks & flames produced upon impact! Sparks + Diesel = Fire! The Ragheads use these weapons with much abandon, i am personaly concerned with the safety of 'Our Boys' (& Gals!) out there. As Im sure, are you. :coffee: