I have left home but could someone please dress me!

Jack

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps we are missing a major point here,do you want to look like a caricature out of a Hollywood film or a reasonable representation of a WW2 GI? The original uniforms were made to a basic design by dozens if not hundreds of different companies with different production methods with cloth produced by different companies and so it goes on,different dye etc etc. They were issued by eye not measurement and they fitted where they touched. The same sort of criteria applied to things like vehicle paint,according to a leading supplier and restorer of US vehicles there were well over 100 suppliers of paint, shades were bound to vary slightly,in the depots in the ETO where many of these vehicles were built up from kits or repaired the paint was thinned with whatever came to hand ,frequently petrol, but in each case more effect on the shade.

In short there was a war on and aesthetics were the farthest thing from anybodys thoughts.

Russ has got HBT coveralls, rough out boots,gaiters & a HBT cap. that is it, nothing fancy just exactly what it says on the tin.

oh & I didn't mention the s***arm on purpose as i thought it may just be forgotton if we all ignore it :wink:

cheers

berni

Hi Berni

I don't want to get into an argument with you or anybody else on this or any other subject, as far as I am concerned this thread is going nowhere

and I will make no further comments.Please don't take these comments the wrong way,everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Regards

Degsy

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for everyones imput, think I have it sussed now :oops: :roll:

Cheers.

Jack.

.....just one more thing :oops:

May have been mentioned already but just in case, would a 'truck driver' wear a steel helmet?

Getting a shopping list together 8)

A truck driver would certainly have a helmet issued to him,as did all GI's from clerks to fighter pilots,but wheather he would actually wear it is another matter!

Matt.

• 1 year later...

After reading this again I have one question, "what are HBT overalls"

I thank you while you all digress :-D

mark - you telling me that you own a GMC and you haven't got a pair of HBT overalls :computerterror2:

mark - you telling me that you own a GMC and you haven't got a pair of HBT overalls :computerterror2:

Sorry Brother Jack, No I have not got HBT's all I have is an M something jacket (Korean I think) :-D British DPM trousers and a Tesco t-shirt, is that OK :dunno:

Am I missing something (other than an axle :whistle:), but what's with the 1 piece suit fetish you GMC guys have :-D . For a more authentic driver uniform, you would be better suited with HBT trousers and M41 jacket, with double buckle or roughouts/gatters. Drivers would have worn the same type of uniforms as the assult troops. HBT overalls you can were when your fixing your trucks (ahh, thats why you all need HBT overalls ;-) :-D)

Am I missing something (other than an axle :whistle:), but what's with the 1 piece suit fetish you GMC guys have :-D . For a more authentic driver uniform, you would be better suited with HBT trousers and M41 jacket, with double buckle or roughouts/gatters. Drivers would have worn the same type of uniforms as the assult troops. HBT overalls you can were when your fixing your trucks (ahh, thats why you all need HBT overalls ;-) :-D)

Ahh but Pop - HBT's coveralls were worn by the 101st Airborne right through to the airforce :-D

Well yes, but the airbourne guys only wore them for training, and wouldn't have entered combat in them, theres nowhere near enough pockets to carry everything :-), 101 airbourne drivers would have worn a uniform similar to the gliderbourne troops: wool trousers, M41 jacket, boots and gaters. Of course after D-Day the US army standardised its uniforms to the M43 trousers and jackets with double buckle boots for all its units.