I have left home but could someone please dress me!

Jack

Right, here goes.

I need to get dressed for this summers shows ( no wise cracks Degsy, Karoshi or anyone else for that matter :twisted: ).

So I will be driving my GMC so what do I need to wear that will be relevant to that?

I would like to add at this stage that whatever happens I want to include a side arm.............its a childhood thing, ok!

Cheers.

Jack.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Degsy's just having a laugh with you, .............the helmet would have been subdued in wartime.

Told you already, HBT coveralls, HBT cap or wool beanie, Buckles (maybe) rough outs and leggings.

Yeah, but you keep changing your mind :shock: mustards, pinks, mini skirts :cry:

Ooooh,you didn't say anything about after you'd painted it green, I thought you were going to play with water.

You must decide what unit you are going to mark the truck to before you make a final decision on clothing, if you go for mustards and an M41 jacket with roughout boots you can cover a vast range of units just with a change of badging.

Cheers

Degsy

Ooooh,you didn't say anything about after you'd painted it green, I thought you were going to play with water.

You must decide what unit you are going to mark the truck to before you make a final decision on clothing, if you go for mustards and an M41 jacket with roughout boots you can cover a vast range of units just with a change of badging.

Cheers

Degsy

Good point Degsy.

The local 'big house' was home to the Pioneer Cor so thats what I would like it badged up with.

............as long as I can have .45 on my hip

You must decide what unit you are going to mark the truck to before.......

Back to where we started !

Jack "broadly" pistols is occifers. Occifers didn't drive trucks....."usually". Go with the shoulder arm, 41's and mustard's. Or 43 and mustard's for later period.

Mustard's are wool based so go with HBT's for summer comfort, or a full 43 outfit, being cotton

Decide if the Red Ball features in your plans? Or just obliterate the vehicle marking with burlap, as was common with forward units. (spys you know)

Easy to get confused isn't it , I started with mustards, 41 Jacket,roughout boots and leggings but have since acquired pretty much everything.Once the troops got into combat they used whatever they could acquire and that they were happy with. Pistols were at the top of the list of wants and

many EM's and Non -Coms carried them although probably not in Georgies 3rd Army.

Regards

Degsy

Ok, I hear you Karoshi but could you change the rules so I can wear one on my hip! 8)

Redball............is there something i should know?

So where do I get all of this clothing from and how bloomin much is this going to cost me?

Forgot to suggest in the previous post that you get Soldier of Fortune

Re-enactors Catalogue, costs £3 but worth it and I think you can get a refund when you order.

I was in their warehouse last week buying boots,the cheaper range they are doing now seem quite good.

It is nice to have original stuff but it is not that easy to get, S-O-F stuff is pretty accurate and they have a good range in stock.

Jack I'd recommend you to just get a basic uniform to start and then look

around at the shows and add to it as items/cash becomes available.

.Cheers

Degsy

Red Ball, how can I put this, you're the wrong colour and it's not PC anymore to do a B&W minstrel job. Red Ball was QM, QM was black.

Can I just quote a passage from that very informative and good read "The Road to Victory" by D.P.Colley:

........Although three-fourths of Red Ball drivers were black, and the majority of the quartermaster truck companies in the ETO were manned by blacks, African American troops represented less than 10% of all military personnel in WW2

We're talking here 3/4th and Majority. Not 100% and Total.

Some specific companies, 514th for instance, was an all black outfit, however;

Colley, Road to Victory again:

Thousands of white infantrymen were pouring into France during the late summer of 1944. before going into the lines, these men faced weeks in muddy, rainswept bivouacs in Normandy, where they trained incessantly and waited to "marry up" with their equipment. There was an alternative for some of these troops, for a few weeks at least. The army needed drivers for the Red Ball Express and asked for volunteers.

Hi Karoshi

I stand corrected, I've got the book but I was generalising and turning the key another notch or two, there is one thing in Jacks favour tho', from the pics I've seen he looks the right size for the dangling left leg from the open cab. :P :lol:

Cheers

Degsy