I have left home but could someone please dress me!

Jack

Hi Karoshi

I stand corrected, I've got the book but I was generalising and turning the key another notch or two, there is one thing in Jacks favour tho', from the pics I've seen he looks the right size for the dangling left leg from the open cab. :P :lol:

Cheers

Degsy

So, this leg thingy, is this something else I have to buy? :cry:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote from the 'road to victory'

When the need for more trucks and drivers became critical a large number of trucks and drivers came from idled U.S. Infantry divisions awaiting transfer to the front. Those units included the 26th, 95th. 104th, 94th, 84th and the 102nd. Newly arrived combat divisions were held in reserve for several weeks in rear areas because the lack of supplies made it impossible to equip and provision them adequately at the front. All in all, the U.S. Army created some sixty-one provisional truck companies whose service was invaluable.

so you can badge up as any of the above infantry divisions & still have the truck insignia for the red ball. That way you can be correct for many occasions & be the correct skin tone.

get yourself a copy of the 'Road to victory but for a taster here is a link.

http://carol_fus.tripod.com/army_hero_red_ball.html

The Red Ball was a crucial part of the war & is often overlooked as it is not one of the most glamorous units to portray.

cheers

Berni

The Red Ball was in many ways a shambles but it allowed the QM Dept to see all the errors and pitfalls and most of the problems were addressed and overcome in subsequent long haul ops such as the ABC.

Cheers

Degsy

Well Berni's spoken so now you'll have to do what you're told, so to repeat ,olive drab wool shirt ,tan tie.M41 jacket, M1937 trousers (mustards),tan trouser belt, canvas gaiters,rough out ankle boots,knitted jeep capall topped off with an M1 helmet. If you were to have had a job which was to keep you on the beach for a period then you would have been issued with Corcoran Para boots in an effort to keep out sand and sea water,in practice most troops kept them for walking out and put up with the wet feet. As for vehicle markings, if you use magnetic for the unit markings you can swap units at will.

Regards

Degsy

poor jack is going to be more confused than ever :?

you're better off buying HBT's to start with which are very comfy for driving & don't chafe to much ( eating cloth isn't a pleasant pastime). It is very difficult knowing what to badge up as & what markings to put on the truck so bounce a few ideas round & I'm 100% positive that you will get the yeh or neh from the chaps. All I can say is books,books & more books & internet. Research is the only answer.

Don't forget that what you wear & badge up as should go with the Jimmy if you intend driving her while uniformed up otherwise the Military world will know all the mistakes you have made. Veterans will also spot mistakes so get it right first time & save yourself a lot of wasted money getting it wrong.

we all have our own preferences but that may not be yours

ultimatley it is your choice & i presume by asking for help in the first place you want to get it right.

in many instances the bridge between Mv owners & re-enactors is closing as more Mv owners who have the vehicles get the history correct & many re-enactors get the vehicles to go with their history.

research,research & more research on what unit you want to portray & then the uniform etc will be the easier (not always easy) bit

cheers

berni

:x Give me strength :roll: Exactly what we've been telling you, the reason I made up that list for you was because that was the basic uniform

issued to the majority of troops up to late 1944 and was used through the remainder of the war., HBT's and M43's were made to be worn as layers over the top of the items I listed for you. I did leave you a message

to land line me so that I could explain things to you.

Regards

Degsy

:x Give me strength :roll: Exactly what we've been telling you, the reason I made up that list for you was because that was the basic uniform

issued to the majority of troops up to late 1944 and was used throough the remainder of the war., HBT's and M43's were made to be worn as layers over the top of the items I listed for you. I did leave you a message

to land line me so that I could explain things to you.

Regards

Degsy

............yeah but Berni said it in a nice way :wink:

............yeah but Berni said it in a nice way

but she's not been banging her head against the same wall for the last 6 months ! Give her time.

However nicely put Berni's seems to have missed the point, not followed the plot, not up to speed or just or chosen to ignor the criteria.

Can't see anything in what she says the justifies or permits the side arm.

Degsy remember, you can lead a horse to water.............

Give me strength.

Hi Jack,

there is i belive a local firm known as `sutlers trading` which sells re-enacting uniforms if you want to give them a call.

Ashley

P.S. have just checked the site my self some of the items are expensive (IMO)

Ashley