Any Info On This Please

Hawk

Thought it might be that one! I do know a bit about it.

Came from Pounds as a BARV many years ago, 'converted' back to a gun tank using a 76mm turret and gun and ended up at a Museum in Jersey. Moved to a different museum in Guernsey until brought back to the mainland in 2001.

Restored with the correct turret and gradually fitted out with an interior. Recently sold and repainted by the new owners.

Being enjoyed by them and the public alike ever since!

Tony, yes that's the one.

Luke, yes, owned by Cadmans. Very early M4A1

The Sherman stood at was then the Strawberry Farm, also the site of a massive underground bunker that was part of the German Island HQ. For company it had an Austin K3 and an 88 mm gun. then the place was sold, at which point Sherman and rest disappeard, and turned into a ghastly theme park called 'Living Legend'. (:noyay:) Unfortunatley they have also closed entry to the bunker under what was the main house and hidden the external one on site under a fibre glass mountain.

Save0158.JPG

wot o tony, the k3 is actually a k6 with gantry and winch used by the REME and i think that it was donated to the REME by the jersey govenment and now resides at arborfield REME museum, i think mr farrant could confirm this

regards

Edited by HotBed

wot o tony, the k3 is actually a k6 with gantry and winch used by the REME and i think that it was donated to the REME by the jersey govenment and now resides at bordon REME museum, i think mr farrant could confirm this

Hi Graham,

I am pretty sure this is the one now in the REME Museum at Arborfield. This one and yours, were both completly rebuilt at the same time, but I think yours was the one that was once at Warnham War Museum.

Does anyone know anything about the history of this paticular M4A2?

http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnywiggla/2641485705/sizes/l/in/set-72157605937708956/

Cheers,

Luke

Comparing your pictures with some that I took I think this one belongs to some friends and now lives here in North Essex . I first saw it earlier this year whilst being renovated by them just before W&P . Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to ask about it's history - next time I meet up with them I'll try and ask .

A couple of my photo's of it are posted up on the Damyns Hall show thread . Have a look and see what you think .

:blush: Stand corrected. Anyone know where the gun went?

I am not sure but I know that an 88 turned up at Richard Heaumes occupation museum in Guernsey shortly after the closure of the Strawberry farm so I assume it was the same one.

It was a great shame that the strawberry farm closed not only because of the excellent museum there but also because I seem to remember them doing excellent cream teas,

Nigel

there must be an awful lot of militaria hidden away somewhere from Jersey with the closing of Strawberry farm ,St peters bunker the island fortress museum and the removal of atefacts from La hogue bie,I know the island fortress collection went to auction ,but where is the rest?

The Channel Islands Occupation museum, is privatley owned most of the kit belongs to Ian cabot and his partners. That was the one at St Peter's but the bunker there kept flooding as the road level was raised. The Steam Museum, Pallot family, have the WLF and a Mack. C.I.O.S. have custodianship at least of the barrels and guns etc on display at Noirmont and the various fortifications. The actual Jersey Museum, Societe Jerriais, at Pier road has little or no Ocupation stuff. the Jersey War Tunnels, HO8 , Underground hospital, call it what you will has a lot of stuff, what I don't know as I've said the place gives me the screaming heebie Jeebies. There is also privatley owned kit. Next time I get over I'll try to get round to photographing Carol le marquand's collection in the back of her WC54 katy.

When I was kid you could wander into the bunkers root about and find all sorts of kit.

I know Ians museum fairly well and have bought militaria from Ian as well as spending a fair bit of time chatting with him both in Jersey and at Beltring where he had a stall this year and do seem to recall that some of the collection from st Peters went to his museum and have seen the ex Jersey motor museum vehicles at the steam museum but it is the items from le Hogue Bie and the strawberry farm I wondered about ,mind you it is a long time ago that I saw these things so to be honest I cannot remember what was there.

It does seem that the museums over there are suffering falling visitor numbers causing some to close I just hope that important occupation items do not end up getting sold to private collectors in the island or overseas and never seen by the public

Well as far as money goes, it is well known a Crapaud will skin a flea for it's hide. The States did originally keep stuff in the tunnels at L'Alaval., but following the death of two childern in the tunnels in the early 1960's cleared it all and most went for scrap. I very much doubt the States would care what happned to any kit.