NEWS - Tribute to Merchant Navy war dead

Jack

With all due respect ...

The statement includes:

Mr Hunter, who served in the merchant navy as a radio officer during the war, said: "I felt very angry that all those men, many of whom I saw perish, were just forgotten."

There is a garden of remembrance on Tower Hill where AFAIK every single merchant seaman and every single merchant ship lost is listed. I have a picture somewhere of my Uncle Charlie's name under SS Hull, sunk in 1943.

'Progresed' maybe but I sometimes think the plot has been lost, along with the sextant, compass and charts. (Grumpy old man update) I knew an old guy Heniz Rossinger, I used to work process seving and old Heinz was one of the other agents. He was a wild old bloke and an old freind of my boss, who quietly told many wild tales about Heinz. I knew he had been in the Merchant Navy as a cook, his speciality was wopping great cakes soaked in Kirsch, you daren't drive after a slice. His son Tony was also a Merchant Navy officer. It was only at Heinz's funeral I learnt he was Jewish, he had escaped from Austria in 1938 and was the sole survivor of his family. He spent the early part of the War in the MN as was torpedoed, then joined the Army ending up in the I Corps, and was the first Jewish Officer into Belsen.

I don't know if God would want him!! :-D He'd cause chaos! One of his best ones was his idea to get a new car. Heinz had an old Rover worth about tuppence on a good day. One day in he walks 'My car has been stolen!'. general yeah right, scrap ain't that valuable. Insistence that the car had been stolen, so off goes Heinz and phones his insurance company, fills out all the forms. About a fortnight later insurance paid out and Heinz has a nice new car.

About six weeks later phone call from the insurance the old car has been found by the Police, now belongs to company, does Heinz want to buy back? No chance, he has new car so old car goes for scrap. At this point he turned to me and said 'Took the Police long enough, I only parked it two streets away from the Station'. :-D

Mad old sod, life is duller without him.

If this sounds ireverent Heniz's answer was Sod the world take life by the B*** and make it squeal.

Edited by Tony B