is it agricultural or an MV?

john fox

Question

any thoughts on this please, I'm asking on behalf of a friend so apologies for the copyright, they are his photos and he is a professional snapper

tyres do not look to be military but it is 6 wheels - could it be a skid steer trials vehicle? boat launch trailer using an MV base??

located in Thames estuary on the Kent side, obviously in the tidal zone

I do not have any close ups but apparently no evidence of a turret or engine

6wheel1.jpg

6wheel2.jpg

13 answers to this question

My sense of scale is all out, so this is a bit of a long shot - it could be WW2 Terrapin. They were eight wheeled but the front pair waggled in the air - the front of the remains we have here look like they have been cut away. More info in Classic Military Vehicle mag of June 2002 and here: http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99535

Very unlikley to be a six-wheeled Humber Hexonaut. Only three were made and one is known to exist.

Of course, may be something else entirely. Do you have dimensions, size of tires, etc? A better picture of what the wheel hubs and internals look like would help.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

The Humber is i believe now in France.i met the man responsable for its restoration,his name is Geoff Theobald.hopefully i will be meeting up with him soon to raid his photo album,and film of harry pounds with bren carriers stacked high.:cool2:

Both Argossy and Terrapin Mk 1 were made by Morris Commercial (Nuffield). Argossy, however, was a full tracked vehicle.

The remains of a Terrapin was pictured in Military Machines International, Dec 2001 (p.5), which I think belongs to the Hughes family. Both it and Kevin Wheatcroft's example need parts, so I understand. So it'll be good if the remains in the Thames could be positively identified (although one wonders how sound they may be!).