Burst hydraulic pipe :(

Val

Yesterday as I was doing laps around the local roads in the Saracen Mk1 to give it a once over, I slammed on the brakes to test the stopping power and the sound of loud leaking air and splatters filled the air as I lost brakes and steering and eventually rolled to a stop, thankfully in my good sense I was testing on an industrial estate with big wide roads and no traffic on sundays.

I got out and saw basically all the oil from the system leaking from near the rear right hand side wheel, on closer inspection the steel coiled pipe had a cracked along it. Brakes have always been perfect since I had the accumulators, the only difference today was that I noticed the oil tank was running low so I topped it up with mineral oil equivalent to OM13.

I was only about half a mile from the parking lot so did a temporary fix, I wrapped in countless layers of duct tape and then a couple of wide jubilee/hoser clips, put some oil in and drove it back, it just about worked.

So two questions really, could this have happened because I put too much oil in? And where can I get a replacement pipe? I've been through the manuals and tech repairs, but I can't find my parts list so I was wondering if anyone knew the part number? It is the steel hydraulic cable that goes to the rear right hand side wheel brake.

Thanks guys. I think I should have brought a Nissan Bluebird over a Saracen, much more reliable lol.

I happened because they are old & perished... Time to replace ALL your hoses..

I use Abbey Hose in Grays...

Unit 1, Trading Estate, Motherwell Way, Grays, Essex, RM20 3XD, UK

(01708) 686600

Take your hoses in & they will make you new ones while you wait....

Damn, are they expensive? I dread to think of how many hoses there are in a Saracen.

You will be better off to call Richard Banister, on 01797 253211 (working hours), he will have the proper hoses, and I would say, probably cheaper than having one-offs made.

If it is any consulation, it has happened to me twice on different Saracens, not moving on either occasion, just charged the accumulaters, engine not running and foot on and off the brakes to relieve system pressure.........big whoosh :-D...and oil everywhere :(

Yesterday as I was doing laps around the local roads in the Saracen Mk1 to give it a once over, I slammed on the brakes to test the stopping power and the sound of loud leaking air and splatters filled the air as I lost brakes and steering and eventually rolled to a stop, thankfully in my good sense I was testing on an industrial estate with big wide roads and no traffic on sundays.

I got out and saw basically all the oil from the system leaking from near the rear right hand side wheel, on closer inspection the steel coiled pipe had a cracked along it. .

Just as well the brakes failed whilst testing, imagine the damage and mayhem you'd have caused first time you needed to stop in a real emergency, you could have been held liable too if the rest of the pipes were found to be in poor condition, it just shows how important it is to throughly inspect the braking system,

Edited by Nick Johns

While I was at the Saracen today draining all of the fluid, I wondered round to the shops for a Mars bar and noticed a huge building with a hydraulics sign 2 minutes away, so I popped in, they're now making me replicas of all six hoses and fixings and 25litres of ISO10 for £150. Very friendly too :)