Desert Jeep Colours

gazzaw

Question

I am looking at painting my jeep in a two tone desert cam (circa 1942/43) with desert yellow sand/stone as the base and another colour on top.

Does anyone know of any patterns and colours that would be suitable or a good source showing same?

Thanks

Gary

13 answers to this question

I seem to remember a thread once asking if Jeeps were built sand coloured or re-sprayed when they got to the desert.

I have just found a photo of a Ford WOT2 truck, and noticed that it was painted Kharki Brown and then re-sprayed sand colour. The rear view mirror has been damaged and the bracket removed, and the patch under the bracket shows a darker kharki colour to the Sand colour of the vehicle. The WOT2 must have been new and not previously used as it is the current model for the date of the photo. Check out IWM photos E22567 and E23186 for details.

Therefore from this detail, I can only guess that Jeeps were supplied Green and re-sprayed Sand when they got to North Africa.

Found this , Possibly U.S.Army Air Force personel with camo marked Jeep ?

seems like the Jeep markings mentioned in the link above http://www.42fordgpw.com/camo.html

American soldiers relaxing outside a temporary HQ during the North African campaign, WWII. Location: Tunisia Date taken: May 1943

NorthAfricaJeep.jpg

Edited by abn deuce

I seem to remember a thread once asking if Jeeps were built sand coloured or re-sprayed when they got to the desert.

I have just found a photo of a Ford WOT2 truck, and noticed that it was painted Kharki Brown and then re-sprayed sand colour. The rear view mirror has been damaged and the bracket removed, and the patch under the bracket shows a darker kharki colour to the Sand colour of the vehicle. The WOT2 must have been new and not previously used as it is the current model for the date of the photo. Check out IWM photos E22567 and E23186 for details.

Therefore from this detail, I can only guess that Jeeps were supplied Green and re-sprayed Sand when they got to North Africa.

Hi woa2,

can a precise or approx date for this photo be ascertained ??

cheers

Ashley

Guys,

Jeep left the factories painted Olive Drab.

As for camouflage, there is only one thing I can say (as before): read Mike Starmers books and articles on the subject!

You probably want to get hold of British Desert Colours: Alamein and After 1942-43[/url] and Sicily and Italy 1943-1945. Contact Mike at e-mail or at 18 HILLSIDE ROAD PIDDINGTON NORTHANTS. NN7 2DB UK for copies.

Also see http://www.mafva.net/ for some of Mr. Starmer´s on-line work.

HTH,

Hanno

another from North Africa note the camoflague on the Kubelwagen turning in front of the Jeep .

American and British troops in the city of Tunis during the North African campaign, WWII. Location: Tunis, Tunisia Date taken: May 1943 Photographer: Hart Preston

NorthAfrica19434.jpg

And what has the jeep written on the back underneath the number?

It is the same serial number as above it, but in Eastern Arabic numerals, rather than the more familiar Western Arabic(and European) numerals.

Presumably so the local plod can give you a ticket for speeding past his camel :-D

But then again of course it could just be a badly painted 'TOYOTA'