Simplex 40hp 'Protected' petrol locomotive

Rlangham

When I worked at Fort Halstead local legend had it the a tunnel existed under the hill to move 'Secret' things from the Fort to the rail tunnel under Polhill, no truth in it unfortunatley, but Woolwich Arsenal had about 120 miles of narrow and standard gauge track.

I've recently acquired the set of three books on WW1 British Army light railways -

NARROW GAUGE AT WAR 1

NARROW GAUGE AT WAR 2

LIGHT TRACKS FROM ARRAS

-

Another excellent book is "Narrow Gauge to no mans land". A bit hard to find now and it commands a high price, but certainly one to watch out for and grab if it is for less than £60.

Tim (too)

Nice picture! Is it a product of Andrew Barclay & Sons?

This locomotive is decribed as:

'Hudson/Hudswell Class G 600mm gauge 0-6-0 well tank, works number 1216 of 1916, War Office No 107 having a spot of bother, derailed crossing the Albert-Fricourt road in September 1916 on the first steam worked 60cm line of the Somme Offensive.'

Hudson, of course, are the famous British light railway equipment manufacturers, equivalent to the French Decauville company. They made everything for light railways except steam locomotives which, from 1911 to 1929, they subcontracted from Hudswell Clarke of Leeds.

I didn't actually know all that (well, except the loco being built by Hudswells). I have just found a very good book on my shelf about the narrow gauge locomotives of Hudswell Clarke!

Steve

This locomotive is decribed as:

'Hudson/Hudswell Class G 600mm gauge 0-6-0 well tank, works number 1216 of 1916, War Office No 107 having a spot of bother, derailed crossing the Albert-Fricourt road in September 1916 on the first steam worked 60cm line of the Somme Offensive.'

Hudson, of course, are the famous British light railway equipment manufacturers, equivalent to the French Decauville company. They made everything for light railways except steam locomotives which, from 1911 to 1929, they subcontracted from Hudswell Clarke of Leeds.

I didn't actually know all that (well, except the loco being built by Hudswells). I have just found a very good book on my shelf about the narrow gauge locomotives of Hudswell Clarke!

Steve

Thanks for the information Steve - was thinking that it looked rather like "Douglas" on the Talyllyn, which of course is another WW1 survivor, albeit ex-RAF. Was WW1 WD loco building subcontracted by Hudsons to anyone else other than Hudswell Clarke I wonder?

• 2 years later...

attachment.php?attachmentid=2819&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1269160719

this one was on display at the VE/VJ commemarations in 2005.

'Singapore' was a Duxford for a while too, near one end of what was their railway, now defunct.

One oddity about the "Duxford" Simplex was that it had been converted to standard gauge in it's post-war usage, but converted back as part of it's restoration.

jch

There is a non armoured petrol (I think)simplex sitting in a hedge in pickwick lane corsham it used to be the site of the Bath stone quarry museum. A Friend of mine has one of the Ruston hornsby 4wdm,s that was used in the construction of the central ammunition depots at corsham it is restored and running. There are also two ruston4wdm,s still in one of the cads at corsham one is complete the other is partially dismantled. Lots of military two foot gauge equipment and track is still in existence around corsham and surrounding areas. Another mate had the remains of the most modern piggery railway from ww2 It was featured on an esso film and was used to take the swill from the farm yard across the fields to a massive piggery complex nearly half a mile away this used to be at midford. Near shepton mallet there is a wartime excavator and 2ft gauge railway just rotting away in a wood. Being a rustoholic its nice to find all this old railway equipment and try and get it preserved.