MK1 Humber Pig

FASTTRAX

Be careful about the colour. Mk1 drivers seat material was crinkley & very dark green. Most of the seats got replaced in the Mk2 with newly manufactured versions with a smoother finish & a horrible lime green colour.

Adam I have a spare Mk2 seat but the internal foam is Mk1.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful about the colour. Mk1 drivers seat material was crinkley & very dark green. Most of the seats got replaced in the Mk2 with newly manufactured versions with a smoother finish & a horrible lime green colour.

Adam I have a spare Mk2 seat but the internal foam is Mk1.

I could really do with that clive.

How much mate?

I'm going to pushed for space in the Hornet to take stuff to GDSF. Yes I imagine your visit here would be in Sept sometime, could it wait until then? But it is yours. If it was holding you up I could try to push it in somewhere. So this is a Mk 1 seat base + foam, but has the lime green Mk 2 upholstery covering it. It has been used but has no cuts, tears or abrasions.

PS I have got a brand new green PVC shroud that fits over the 4WD lever & auto disengage mechanism that was made specially for the Mk 2. Might even still have the label on it with that magic DMC of LV9/BOE.

Edited by fv1620

warning; newbie alert.......

hi guys just stumbled across this forum and had to join,

i was on another but there seems to be alot more going on about humber pigs

on here,

i bought a wreck about 2 years ago and been doing alot of work on her just got her on the road very recently like last week, i will dig some pics from the start and get them posted on

Welcome to the Friendly Forum what ever you own if it's a HMV than your in the right place ...even if you didnt have a vehicle you would be welcomed just the same . Now you will be assigned cleaning duties about the Club house as so many other Champ and Humber owners have insisted on doing their oil changes in the enterance area of the club house there by soiling the Carpets very badly .....your job is to get the oil out but if another new member signs up thne you will pass your duties to them .

See you in the bar as most have gathered around the wide screen tv to watch War movies .

• 1 month later...

" bet you've heard this a million times" took the pig out of garage left it to warm up (no it didnt get knicked) secured the garage and proceeded to the start point for the day, cut out restarted with backfire, solution nip to the nearest petrol station (in car) fill the tank and carry on.

Then cut out on a round about, having forgotten which way the petrol tanks lever should be pointing!!!!!!!!!!!! You can have a good laugh but i bet im not the only one it's happened to, a discreet answer as to which way the lever should point will help with future mind malfunctions,

Cheers fasttrax

I think if I remember rightly when the lever points to the left then the right hand tank is being used and obviously then the left hand tank is used when the lever points to the right ! It is rather confusing and only normally sticks in my mind when I see one tank emptying on a run ! :-D

I think if I remember rightly when the lever points to the left then the right hand tank is being used and obviously then the left hand tank is used when the lever points to the right ! It is rather confusing and only normally sticks in my mind when I see one tank emptying on a run ! :-D

Which of course depends on which way the lever was fitted....

Yes particularly confusing if you are used to driving a military Land Rover. Logic would suggest, just as Land Rovers assumed, that the fuel switch pointing to the left switches fuel from the left hand tank & to the right from the right hand tank.

As you have embarrassingly remembered it is the other way round on the Pig. The reason for this is that it was easier on manufacture to have the pipes that way round.

But it was not always that way. The real Mk 1 Armoured (for that is what they were originally designated) ie FV1609 had the plumbing arranged as per a Land Rover. But the production Pigs ie FV1611 & FV1612 had the opposite plumbing. My problem was that when my FV1609 re-entered Army service, it was upgraded with new plumbing that conformed to the production arrangement.

Unfortunately nobody thought to change the wiring to match. The previous owner revealed that the fuel senders did not work & no doubt the Army operated it in this way. But it meant through the main part of its Army life the fuel indicator was measuring the fuel in the tank that was not being used.

The dilemma was whether I should replumb it to the original more logical arrangement or not. But with another Pig & a Hornet with the illogical arrangement I decided to standardise the Fv1609 to match the other two.

Yes so it is confusing, particular as the switch knob is sometimes mounted to point left & forwards or centre & forwards. I find I can get confused if the lever is pointing forwards to know if that is as far as it will go left or is it right? So I have to switch it to see which way it will go to get my bearings to then work out which tank I am running on!

Mine faces the front of the drivers seat ! Is it possible to fit em the other way ?

You could do it. Undo the top screw, then lift off the brass lever which sits on a square shank & refit it 180 degrees around. The trouble is that going along the lever is probably unreachable. Also the lever would not line up with the slot in the floor panel if you needed to lift the floor, although its easy enough to remove the lever.

PS Just re-read the post, so the tip of the lever is facing the seat? Then it is the 'wrong' way.

You could do it. Undo the top screw, then lift off the brass lever which sits on a square shank & refit it 180 degrees around. The trouble is that going along the lever is probably unreachable. Also the lever would not line up with the slot in the floor panel if you needed to lift the floor, although its easy enough to remove the lever.

PS Just re-read the post, so the tip of the lever is facing the seat? Then it is the 'wrong' way.

No mate the end of the lever points to the front of the vehicle on mine !

hi , enjoy reading thru all this info about pigs , i'm working on my bosses squirty pig when we're quiet in the workshops , its been dry stored for at least 10 years & apperently he used to pick his girlfriend (now wife ) up in it ! . i've managed to get the engine running using new points , condensor & another lift pump , tried to roll it out of the w/shop to find brakes locked on ! stripped down the hydrovac unit , rebleed brakes & wahaay ...3 times round the yard ! now in the process of replacing the exhaust system & replacing a front drive shaft gaiter . having the pig in the w/shops has made a drivers come forward about there time in northern ireland so been very interesting all round . as far as i can tell the army reg is 03BK34 , & on the plate on bulkhead says cont. no. 6/veh/27169(CB27A) ...... SER.NO.R.O.F.W.31 .

hi , enjoy reading thru all this info about pigs , i'm working on my bosses squirty pig when we're quiet in the workshops , its been dry stored for at least 10 years & apperently he used to pick his girlfriend (now wife ) up in it ! . i've managed to get the engine running using new points , condensor & another lift pump , tried to roll it out of the w/shop to find brakes locked on ! stripped down the hydrovac unit , rebleed brakes & wahaay ...3 times round the yard ! now in the process of replacing the exhaust system & replacing a front drive shaft gaiter . having the pig in the w/shops has made a drivers come forward about there time in northern ireland so been very interesting all round . as far as i can tell the army reg is 03BK34 , & on the plate on bulkhead says cont. no. 6/veh/27169(CB27A) ...... SER.NO.R.O.F.W.31 .

Very interesting, I've always felt a pig is something of a pull vehicle:cool2:

03 BK 34 was originally a FV1601 GS Truck in service 23/3/54

Engine No. 6065

Converted into Pig APC ie FV1611 1958-60 by Royal Ordnance Factories Woolwich (as opposed to Nottingham)

Around 1965 converted to Ambulance ie FV1613

Struck off 20/8/69

Sold at OSDD Ruddington 8/1/70 Sale No.104 Lot No.1492 for £65

Recovered to 18 Command Workshops (ie Bovington) 30/11/72 converted to FV1611

Uparmoured to Mk 2 1972-73 then converted to Pig Squirt

Struck off 7/9/88 to C.J.Evans Ordnance, Sturminster Marshall, Dorset