MK1 Humber Pig

FASTTRAX

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Friendly Forum , as soon as you can post a few photo's of your newly purchased Humber you will be invited into the club house for a sip of your favorite drink of choice and then be given cleaning duties to be carried out until the next new member arrives .

Edited by abn deuce

Stick your head under the passenger side front wheel arch, towards the front on the chassis, there will be a nice brass plate with the vehicle details on it, and the original Army registration (ERM) which will be for example 05BK61.

Once you have found the plate, scraped off the muck and written down what it is, put it on here, and im pretty certain Clive the Pig Guru will be along soon to let you know all about it, and when it was auctioned off and how much it made! (No really im not kidding!)

Congratulations on your inspired choice to purchase a Humber Pig, and in particular a Mk1, by the way HMVF stands for Humber Military Vehicle Forum, only the poor misguided fools who run it havent cottoned on yet :-D

by the way HMVF stands for Humber Military Vehicle Forum, only the poor misguided fools who run it havent cottoned on yet :-D

Ignore that, he is deluded, it stands for Huge Military Vehicle Forum :cool2:

Edited by croc

14 BK 78 entered service as a FV1601B on 14/1/54 with Engine No.6378. It was delivered to 21st ‘B’ Vehicle Depot Feltham, Middlesex with Receipt Voucher No. FTM/R/6319

It was made into a Pig APC ie FV1611B between 1958-1960.

It was struck off at OSDD Ruddington 2/1/70. This is very curious because there were no sales on this date. Sales took place on 6, 7 & 8 January. On 7th 9 Pigs were sold & on 8th 2 Pigs were sold. None of these were your vehicle, nor does yours appear in the sales catalogue.

The previous sale was held on 14, 15 & 16 October 1969. On 15th 28 Pigs were sold & on the 16th 9 Pigs were sold. Again none of these included your vehicle.

The sale prior to that was held on 19, 20, 21 & 22 August. On 21st 2 Pigs were sold on 22nd 7 Pigs were sold. Again none of these included your vehicle.

Unusually no price was recorded & the transaction was not in an auction. I would need to go back to see if it was ever listed in a Ruddington catalogue to see whether it was left over as unsold. So I can only conclude that for some reason it was sold off by some private arrangement or it was struck off to some Unit for some training purposes. But on the other hand why train soldiers with a vehicle that was virtually obsolete. A hard target seems unlikely given the existence of it still today!

It is ironic that Pigs were still being sold off well into the 1970s with Op Banner underway. When in 1972 appx 200 Pigs were repurchased & having been assessed under Op Marble then most became part of Op Bracelet.

Would be nice to see some pictures when you get a chance.

Hi thanks for that, having trouble with photos at moment, i've got a few mostly found through this forum i hope this attempt is succsessful

Cheers Fasttrax

Are you trying to upload from you PC or add a link to a photo from aother site :confused:

Just had a look the last one you tried to upload & looks like it's from your PC, if so you need to use Manage Attachment at the bottom of the Post page...

Read http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachments

Cheers Lee

Are there markings on the nose above the radiator? Usually there would be Unit & Divisional badges there. Above those at the "apex" a small white square with a red circle - signifying antifreeze in the radiator.

If you've not done so, worth slowly rubbing down that area to see what you can unearth. Got any rear shots to see if there are any unusual features?

It is ironic that Pigs were still being sold off well into the 1970s with Op Banner underway. When in 1972 appx 200 Pigs were repurchased & having been assessed under Op Marble then most became part of Op Bracelet.

Our squadron Tiffy (REME Artificer Quartermaster Sergeant, AQMS, since you ask) in Tidworth hadn't been on our preceding NI tour but he had done his time.

As he explained it to me, MOD had taken the decision to sell off the Pigs before August 1969 (to the Portugese). When it all kicked off, it was expected that Saracen would fill the APC role. It soon became clear that Saracen was too big, so the Pigs were bought back (at a premium).

It was then realised just how obsolete the Pigs were and they went though a programme of major upgrades to make them fit for service in NI. (I am guessing that maybe this is Op Bracelet: the equivalent Chieftain upgrade programme was Op Bargepole; Scorpion's was Scorpole).

However, the added armour put great strain on engine, gearbox, brakes etc. What Tiffy particularly dwelt on was that every Monday morning in his LAD (Light Aid Detachment, Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers) they would gather round and guess how much oil to put in the Pig gearboxes this week. Too little: it siezed; too much: it blew all its seals. No amount of gearbox oil gave the required results.

We in 15/19H did not to my knowledge used Pig on our Omagh tour: we got Saracen APCs. Presumably because we were on an Arms Plot tour as an RAC regiment rather than an emergency tour as infantry. Though the Omagh role was as infantry and RAC regiments (including 15/19H) did regularly due emergency tours, also as infantry and probably using Pig. My appointment in Omagh was Section Rifleman, not crewman.

HI cheers for that, dont know my mate delt with the previous owner, i think the picture was taken some years ago may be as far back as 2003, but not to sure, any info is appreciated.

Fasttrax

Edited by FASTTRAX
spelin mistak