WW2 Royal Navy vehicle colours ???

phil gollin

Question

"I maybe stupid, but...... " I have been trying to find out what colours/camouflage Royal Navy "B" vehicles (lorries, staff cars, utillities, etc....) used in the UK during WW2.

I have been told various things, especially ;

A: As army vehicles, but with RN small markings and registration.

B: As the post-war type - all-over navy blue with "Royal Navy" in large white letters.

I believe "B" may well be wrong and only comes from people watching post-war films where RN lorries were "borrowed". However, "A" also seems wrong if the RAF used blue painted vehicles.

Does anyone know the truth, or know where I could find a decent reference.

(It would seem that photos of naval bases or dockyards during WW2 are scarce to say the least - except for the "jolly matelot" type propaganda photos).

Thanks.

9 answers to this question

Mike Starmer suggests BS No. 7 Dark Blue until 1941 at which time the standard War Office Directive colours were adopted, the same point at which the RAF also changed.

I have a couple of motorcycle pictures, one of which includes some Bedfords in the background. Definitely lighter than the uniform blue but is it grey or Khaki Green ?

bwrnsaaboxsidecarwi7.th.jpg

a1940wrnsboxsidecarsj1.th.jpg

Regarding RN vehicles I have always had an interest in these as their vehicles are not commonly covered by MV books & magazines or by MV owners - so this link may be of help.

There are quite a few from Alan Brock that have never been seen before, if you scroll down

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5064&highlight=Royal+Navy+vehicles

In passing it would seem that RN vehicles that were used in and around the UK docks, that were originally painted gray remained so for some years after the order to change to camo.

Edited by LarryH57
additional comments

The MapleLeafUp link doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Meanwhile I have attached some of my Navy pictures which you will see look too light to be a dark blue but too dark to be a medium grey! I am sure they are wartime pictures due to the white mudguards for blackout and the Allied Stars on the roofs in the 3rd picture.

RN001.jpg

RN002.jpg

RN003.jpg

• Like 1

Hi

Just see if I can add some pics,

So as for colours standard army WW2, Blue postwar.

see AWM (Australian War Memorial) film FO1683 Australian soldiers leaving Singapore,

Austin K2Y Ambulances Royal Navy.

Could be a Navy one?

1374017641_A_Norwegian_child_being_carried_to_an_ambulance_from_HMS_Onslaught_at_Gourock_1_March_194-_Navy_after_hiding_from_the_Germans_on_Soroy_island._A27491.jpg.5ca7b3e6b5ae775edb2c7a8abd4c9352.jpgwp1ee0d8d8.jpg.99f19c8e5f253070fb01cf45be9eb9aa.jpg

this I think is an altered picture as the same ambulance is picture below

with the same mud on the tyers,

532307867_Austin20K2_donation1.jpg.bfa598c51ebc269fb15328161a8547ee.jpg

IMG_1231.thumb.jpg.4e615f1fd2d0ab8e74e72f698183060e.jpg

Post War Austin K2Y door and rear body

IMG_1229.thumb.jpg.c926304c6796ac3848c550dc935b7fcb.jpg

1153018438_Schermafbeelding2019-01-01om18_36_13.thumb.jpg.b4de09a71709203da1121d2d0cf5dccc.jpg

Last one I have wartime pic.

regs

Rupert

• Like 1