Mystery Artillery

It's a British 6pdr 6cwt Anti-Aircraft gun. Only 2 prototypes made before the project was cancelled on 30 March 1945. It had an automatic ammunition feed as well as manual feed and was developed for jet aircraft, but was found to be unreliable. The carriage was 3 wheeled with 2 wheels at the front.

It's a British 6pdr 6cwt Anti-Aircraft gun. Only 2 prototypes made before the project was cancelled on 30 March 1945. It had an automatic ammunition feed as well as manual feed and was developed for jet aircraft, but was found to be unreliable. The carriage was 3 wheeled with 2 wheels at the front.

Which ties in perfectly with my previous post, because the Russian (and American) 57mm gun was a copy of the 6pdr.

Do I get a prize?

lol

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Which ties in perfectly with my previous post, because the Russian (and American) 57mm gun was a copy of the 6pdr.

Do I get a prize?

lol

Meet me under the clock at Waterloo station i will be wearing a pink carnation.:rofl:

Meet me under the clock at Waterloo station i will be wearing a pink carnation.:rofl:

I'll be there 15 minutes early to carry out a CTR (not because I don't know it perfectly well, but to see who you find).

I used to get up home to watch Sunderland AFC play. First time I travelled in recent times, I met my nephew under the clock at KX then we awaited a third party, whom we didn't know but he seemed like a nice guy on the www.

There we were in our red'n'whites. From the other end of the concourse, this guy beelines toward us.

"Are you going to see Exeter?" Double-take as we each look down at our SAFC shirts.

"You ought to be at Paddington mate."

Then we see this guy looking around frantically. The sort of person I have been cursed over the years by being hung onto by. We both turned our backs, stared at the architecture and discussed it between nonchalant whistles. I turned round furtively to see if he had spotted us. To this day I don't know whether the woman he found was his mother or a Tom. We breathed relieved when they headed off together.

(Mercifully, our contact turned out to be a thoroughly decent bloke - if loud - and it turned out our three companies each did business with both of the others.)

I don't tend to meet under the clock, however easy it might be.

• 1 year later...

As a geordie I can say

grammatically incorrect
without lapsing into a proto-bulgarian language thank you:nono:

Alien FTM

One of your little jokes I hope:)

Apart from a rather ancient nominal barrel bore probably dating from the late 19thC when that wonderful georde Lord Armstrong supplied naval hardware around the world.

Seriously the Soviet 57mm gun has nothing to do with the 6pdr and its American cousin the 57mm M1. The soviet weapon Zis2 had a much longer barrel 4162mm against 2970mm (Us M1)and the cartridge of the Soviet weapon is again longer 480mm rimmed with a full shoulder against M1 441mm rimmed. The muzzle velocity is Soviet 1020m/s and US M1 900m/s.

The British 6pdr A/A shown has a different barrel length and cartridge capacity from the land service weapon. As are the Soviet weapons, the Zis2 has nothing to do with the 57mm S60. The S60 was probably based on unsuccessful WW2 German research on a 55mm A/A weapon the Gerat 58. Again the length of barrels are different (S60 4390mm) as are the cartridges the S60 having a 348mm Semi rimmed cartridge.

Upper drawing S60 lower photo Zis 2

Steve

z57s60ap.jpg

57mm AT Zis2.jpg

Edited by steveo578
attempting to make drawings horizontal