An MV meet possibly?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Probably too far for Richard but Clophill village fete is on the 17th June, they said they wanted more people to come and they want to make the show bigger and better, so perhaps we could do a TEAM run there? Over the last few years I can remember it not being that brilliant, but who knows, it could have expanded and got better. I'll contact the guy if you're willing to go.

Mick

Hello Tyler,

That would certainly look an impressive convoy.

Cruising speed of the Militant is about 25-30mph, but it seems alot faster when your in it but alot slower when your behind it no doubt! :wink:

Regards

Richard

FWIW to you Richard - we used to reckon on an average speed for the Militants of 20 mph and a top speed of 30 mph (flat out with following wind) when convoy planning. "Good" point about the Militants was these speeds were the same irrespective of it being unladen or carrying a full load!!! Just took longer to get to them :D

Are you all planning on being at Duxford on the 18th then?? If so - will be along with camera. Too much to hope a Stalwart will have transferred ownership by then !!

Hello Neil,

Oh yes.. I'll be at Duxford. ( Hopefully! :shock: ) Should be a good day out.

It's true what you say about the Militants speed being the same no matter how it's loaded. Even the FH70 doesn't cause it any problems. Which considering that the Foden FH70 Tractor has nearly twice the horse power of the Militant it just shows how much grunt the AEC engine has.

Regards

Richard

Too true about the grunt. Stopped on the M4 at some services way back when and a Kraut truck driver started exacting the urine from our Militant tippers. So the troop S/Sgt took a couple of tow cables, hooked them onto the front of the Krauts rig and proceeded to pull it around the truck park with one. Soon stopped him laughing :D .

I wondered why the 17/21st Lancers Mark 1 Ferret gave me just such a warm feeling, until I clocked the VRN.

33 BA 81 was my (15/19H) rebroadcast Ferret around 1978 - 80 (but at that time it had a .30" Browning mount rather than the LMG shown in the picture).

Note the square driver's side hatches, rather than shaped to fit the slope of the front plate. In three years I only realised that our (four?) Ferrets were not identical when I moved from one to another and started to cut out Perspex fillers to keep the wind out of the side hatches.

(I am sure that, even though there were numerous Mark 1 - and indeed Mark 2 - variants that were functionally identical, somebody in here will tell me what model of Mark 1 it is.)

I do remember that as far as I could tell by VRN, this was the oldest vehicle in the barracks, which included our regiment and a Task Force HQ Signals Troop.

Hi all,

Well thats quite odd you should say that alien ftm because the vehicles history said it served with the 14/20th Kings Hussars, the 17/ 21st Lancers sticker was just stuck on there when it was being restored to make it 'look good, in the history it doesn't say anything about serving with the 15/19H, but yes it certainly is an early example because the plate inside says it was on contract 4267 which was ordered in 1951 I believe, she went into army service on the 4th of March 1954 and stayed in Hong Kong until 1972. But then again, it served with the royal horse guards for a while and could have possibly been to the Gulf in 1991. 1978 hmm.. have to check the History.

P.s Steve sure you can meet up with us at wimpole.

Mick.

Square hatches mean early vehicles built as straight Mk 1 or Mk 2, usually with BA registrations.

Chris

Er isn't that pretty much what I said?

;o)

This is a Very Early Ferret, Hull No.3 from the first contract of six.. 32BA77

ferretbelt1.jpg

as2 a 3ancer/

Hi all,

Well thats quite odd you should say that alien ftm because the vehicles history said it served with the 14/20th Kings Hussars, the 17/ 21st Lancers sticker was just stuck on there when it was being restored to make it 'look good, in the history it doesn't say anything about serving with the 15/19H, but yes it certainly is an early example because the plate inside says it was on contract 4267 which was ordered in 1951 I believe, she went into army service on the 4th of March 1954 and stayed in Hong Kong until 1972. But then again, it served with the royal horse guards for a while and could have possibly been to the Gulf in 1991. 1978 hmm.. have to check the History.

P.s Steve sure you can meet up with us at wimpole.

Mick.

1. Sorry, I only quoted it as 17/21L because it carried the badge - oops motto (ask a lancer!).

2. It was 33 BA 81 that I had in 15/19H, not this one, 33 BA 64.

But it means nothing: it was around for about 25 years before I got hold of it. I vaguely recall that 17/21L were ahead of us in the deployment cycle: I think 1RTR were in front of us, 16/5L before them and 17/21L before that. Since the Scorpion only came on the scene in - what the mid 70s? - it is entirely possible that a 17/21L vehicle was passed on (eventually) to 15/19H.

But then it's all entirely academic since, as you point out, the badge - sorry motto - was probably not genuine.

Never mind.

;o)

safariswing I bought a sterling mount off that guy with the early ferret, I think his name is chris, mine could have possibly been in the same batch.

Mick.

:? I own 32BA77 the earliest Ferret, Chris McMillan's Ferret if that's who you are refering to is a bit later.

I also bought a Sten mount from Chris when I first got my Ferret..

I own 32BA77 the earliest Ferret

Hello Lee,

That would be No.3 then? According to my notes, I worked on 32BA78, No.4, back in 1980. Also just noticed about the same time, also worked on a Saracen, 32BA24, that must also be an early one.

Richard

PS had a look at the Saladin yet?

I own 32BA77 the earliest Ferret

Hello Lee,

That would be No.3 then? According to my notes, I worked on 32BA78, No.4, back in 1980. Also just noticed about the same time, also worked on a Saracen, 32BA24, that must also be an early one.

Richard

PS had a look at the Saladin yet?

Hi Richard,

Yep hull No.3 that's mine..still serching for an in service photo of 32BA77 I have found photos either side of my Ferret's number but not mine.

We are tackling the Saladin on Friday if our mate has moved his lorry by then, he's parked next to the Saladin & there's trees on the other side so we can't traverse the turret at the moment..

Had the Fox out at the weekend & the gearbox is still A1..Cheers :)

hi all,

my saracens reg is 30ba92 so how early is this?

Hi Saracenstump,

I have found a pic of 30BA00, think that may be a prototype. Then there are a lot of pics of 30BA78 taken during trials at MVEE, so looks like yours is early. Must be a Mk1, does it have a BSF engine and no neutral strut in the gearbox?

Richard