A very special Mission

M5Clive

Got the wake-up call early, I mean like 4.30am - Couldn't sleep anyway.

The General's Car wouldn't start - Damp I guess, but finally got it rollin and drove the leafy lane of Suffolk to the mission briefing.

Breakfast 07.00

Briefing 09.30

Taxi 10.00

Take-Off - RAF Bentwaters 10.30

Break Coast 10.45

Fighter Rendezvous 11.00

Target 11.30

Radio Interview 15.30

Return to RAF Duxford 15.45

Land 16.45

"Must be an easy one today I though - Leaving England this late in the morning."

DSC_1094.jpg

We horsed around a bit waiting for the call to start engines DSC_1260.jpg

Leaving English soil

DSC_0848.jpg

Breaking the Coast over Orford Suffolk - Target Germany

DSC_1109.jpg

Little Friends (British and US) and Camera Strike Photographer

DSC_0625.jpg

DSC_1114.jpg

Just to prove

DSC_1183.jpg

Finals over the M11 into IWM Duxford

DSC_1186.jpg

Why we do it

DSC_0613.jpg

Conclusion

Was it a chance in a lifetime? Well yes, very much so. Was their room for everybody to go? Well sadly no. Owner Don Brooks pulled all the stops out to ensure everyone he felt should ride got a ride. But why me your asking yourself - Bloody Stevens in on the act again?

Well fairs, fair. Last year Ed Abbott and myself organised Operation Bolero at the former 390th Bomb Group airfield at Parham, Suffolk. It was hoped that Liberty Belle may attend, but sadly insurance issues caused problems. The event we organised raised 10k for the museum and was the best event they had ever had at the airfield. Both Ed and I did it for nothing other than the satisfaction of pulling-off a damn good show. Did that entitles us to the chance of a lifetimes opportunity to fly aboard the Belle over Parham when she came to England?

I like to think it did!

Enjoy the pictures - There were over 700 to choose from and these are literally a handful.

The best bit? - Sitting in the Bombardiers seat from Bentwaters to Duxford, looking out of the plexi-glass nose and thinking that the Spit and P-51 were far too close for safety, but recognising every bit of Suffolk and Cambridgeshire that we were flying over. Waving at the postman in Barking Tye who was emptying the letter box and then looking at him through the Norden Bombsight was quite surreal as well - probably for both of us!

Clive D Stevens

Edited by M5Clive

Wonderful stuff Clive - you are one lucky chap, how the hell do you Stevens brothers manage to do stuff like this:???:???:???

One day I will watching a program on the moon and I wouldn't be surprised if I saw you in the back ground playing pitch and put :whistle::shocked:

Clive called the office today and it went like this:

Clive - hey Jack you never guess what..

Me - no I won't - what?

Clive - I went up in a B17 last week.....

Me - WOW, tell me more...

Clive - well I got up and..... blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar...

Me - just got to go and load the van up for W+P and it is now 13:00 and I am getting behind.....

Clive - sure you go for it but it was amazing blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blarblar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blarblar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar blar...

I put the phone down on the desk and I came back about 2 hours later after going to Dorchester - just in time for Clive to say - by the time I got to bed I was worn out - anyway Jack sorry I have to go as I have stacks to do, I can't sit around talking all day...............:sweat:

Again well done to you and Paul and please post some more pictures up - "another day of how memories are made"

Thanks for all the good words. A few more pictures as requested.

Just a lovely shot of the B-17 G Liberty Belle with all four fans turning

DSC_0835.jpg

Owner Don Brooks and Ed Abbott (alias Windy Miller) admire our Operation Bolero banner, showing the Liberty Belle in-flight.

DSC_0529.jpg

Having just lifted-off from ex-RAF Bentwaters in the Belle

DSC_0575.jpg

Top-side pass for the cameras - Ain't she beautiful!

DSC_0887.jpg

Parham Airfield, Control Tower and original T2 Hangar - Wartime home of the 390th Bombardment Group and 2007 home of the Operation Bolero event. This was the final pass the aircraft did over the old airfield, as observed from the cockpit.

DSC_1128.jpg

Pilot Ray Fowler holds her steady. Watching this genius fly tight formation with the Spit over the sea for the chief photograph of Aeroplane Magazine to work his magic was a sight to behold. His eyes never left that Spitfire's wing and the concentration required to hold that big four-engined bird in tight formation amazed me. Can't imagine what strains and pressures it must have put upon the WWII pilots to hold tight formation all the way to Germany and home again. DSC_1101.jpg

Maurice Hammond fly's his P-51 Janie in-close. Picture taken from the waste-gun position of the B-17.

DSC_0690.jpg

Carolyn Grace bring her Spitfire in on the right hand side to complete the three ship formation.

DSC_0669.jpg

91st Bombardment Group Bombardier James E Harlow flew the entire mission with me - his 26th ! That morning when I left home I had forgotten my camera, so turned around and headed back home to get it. Whilst back home I took the opportunity to grab my prized picture of Jim and put it in my flight suit knee pocket. Although nothing had been planned or arranged, I just knew (sixth sense) that Jim had already paved the way to me flying aboard Liberty Belle that day. I was with him in Florida in 1997 just two days before he passed away. Sounds kind of quirky I know, but i'm not asking anyone to believe me. That's my boot on the left.

DSC_0620.jpg

Edited by M5Clive

Sounds kind of quirky I know, but i'm not asking anyone to believe me.

Some things defy explanation, but no matter, they don't need one. You just know. These are the things we cannot share with each other. :thanx:

Edited by N.O.S.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Some things defy explanation, but no matter, they don't need one. You just know. These are the things we cannot share with each other. :thanx:

If i hadnt gone back and re read what was said ,i might of thought you had contracted TB itous

If i hadnt gone back and re read what was said ,i might of thought you had contracted TB itous

Thanks for that, I've checked myself into a Clinic all day Thursday, and it looks like I'll be kept in overnight for further treatment Friday :-D

Back to the story, how long was the flight from Parham to Duxford Clive?

(OK, just re-read post #1 - the info was there all the time)

And more pictures please - the next best thing to being there!

Edited by N.O.S.

• 2 weeks later...

A few more shots from the best day of the summer.........

DSC_0534.jpg

My 1941 Chrysler, all painted up in 13th Combat Wing, 390th Bombardment Group markings just incase such a photo opportunity should arise along with Bill Kemball's Dodge Ambulance and Command Car. (Bill Kemball owns the airfield at Bentwaters)

DSC_0846.jpg

Another take-off shot of Liberty Belle leaving the former RAF Bentwaters

DSC_1143.jpg

Overflying the A-14 at Shrubland Hall. Thats Great Blakenham, Barham and Claydon villages and Ipswich town on the horizion - The former Sugar Beet factory at Sproughton just visible on the skyline.

DSC_1148.jpg

The pilot requested permission to overfly RAF Wattisham. The first bombing mission of WWII was conducted from this airfield (along with aircraft from Ipswich and Martlesham airfields) with Bristol Blenheim's. You can see the original loop type hardstandings that P-38 Lightenings and P-51 Mustang's of the 479th Fighter Group (8th USAAF) would have parked upon, still clearly remain today.

DSC_1136.jpg

Sat in the nose at 900 feet (where I spent the bulk of the flight back to Duxford) on the Bombardiers chair and holding the Norden Bombsight. Blimey that was hot and stuffy up there at low altitude (instead of the freezing temperatures at 30,000 feet) wearing all the authentic clobber, but wearing it certainly added to the experience immensely. The faded colours and over-exposure of this photo could easily make it pass as a WWII picture from 'The Mighty Eighth in Colour.'

I hope you enjoy the photo's. I'm certainly glad that I turned around and went back home to retrieve my camera after leaving home that morning without it!

Edited by M5Clive

If I'm honest I am very much still buzzing.

I keep driving through villages and countryside that I overflew sat up there in the nose and looked down upon and keep re-living the experience. Although this has been almost an entirely picture thread, I do plan to do an article about the days activities, detailing more about what it felt like to fly above the old USAAF bases aboard a B-17 G, who else was involved during the big day and who deserves all the heartfelt thanks from the passengers who were lucky enough to climb aboard that day.

One thing is for sure though - I genuinely don't think I will ever have a chance opportunity present itself quite like that situation did ever again. The cost of bringing Liberty Belle over from the States for the two weeks was in excess of £275,000 and even Don Brooks (as wealthy a businessman as he is) stated that he thought it would never happen again (for any organisation) due to impending insurance restrictions effecting such ambitious plans.

It truly was the chance of a lifetime - And I mean that in every sense of the word.