WARD LE FRANCE on A3 Broke.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

If they can't help give me a call you should have a phone number ashoo this ruddy cold:rofl:

An interesting point has come to light recently in discussions with several operators of quarry plant and trucks re. cheap bearings -

for example a cheap roller bearing may only have 8 or 9 rollers instead of the usual 10 (spacing on cage is greater).

Not something you look for at the time, you just assume the bearing will be identical in capacity as well as dimensions. Life expectancy reduced somewhat. Beware!!

Just left the farm where I found Mike, Mark and Karl under the truck sounding like a carry on film. "My end up a bit, nearly in the hole" etc...

They had spent 2 hours trying to locate the transfer box rear mounting boss in the cross member, with no success. By the time I had gone to fetch their dinner, they had managed to "get it in" (with a little help from my Mrs, who was not best pleased at getting grease on her recently cleaned engagement ring!).

They plan to fit the front cross member tonight, and Mike and I will hopefully complete the installation tomorrow, and take the wee beastie to W&P!

Oh, and we only had one part left over from rebuilding the transfer box. Looked like a bodged french army part too.

Make that 6 hours.quote]

This is not encouraging the junior UKWLFOC members such as myself who are about to embark on restorations, and look to their fearless leader for guidance and inspiration :nono:

Edited by N.O.S.

Joris, Tony has a Series 1 WLF which is the hard cab version with the mainly mandraulic crane. They are very pretty as they hace curved wings too.:)

In other news, Mike and I spent all day under the truck finishing the transfer box installation, which I am pleased to report is now complete.:yay:

We went for a quick run down the road this evening, and the truck was a lot quieter. The only problem was that it jumped out of high range a couple of times when the throttle was lifted, but a bit of adjustment back at the yard cured this. The next test run was deemed a success, but only when the truck makes it to W&P tomorrow will we know if we did a good job!:-\

Oh yes, Joris - had this one for a couple of years now. It featured in UKWLFOC Issue 4. This is as I found it, it still looks exactly the same :( A bit different to the big boys' convertibles, but at present a non-runner.

Restoration still at the planning stage, but I'm learning all the while :whistle:

WardlaFrance3.jpg

a bit of adjustment back at the yard cured this. !:-\

Washers under the detent spring a,come clean.Hope it goes well tomorrow.

Washers under the detent spring a,come clean.

The detent was seated properly and the spring was strong enough, it's just that some "numpty" had set up the selector fork and actuating rod in the low range position. This meant that the high range gear wasn't fully engaaged. Had i been present during that part of the build (I was "oop north"), I would have advised said numpty accordingly. Was only a 10 minute job (not including tea and chocolate biccies) to re-adjust.

Yes Andy, except the Milweb one has a diesel under the bonnet, mine has a diesel on the floor in front of the front bumper :sweat:

Wow this made me laugh out loud! :rofl:

@Grasshopper well done on the restoration and have fun at War & Peace!

WLF jumped out of high range a couple of times on the way to W&P, so Mike ratchet strapped the lever the prevent this. When we had time, we investigated the transfer box on the scrapper, and discovered Mike had fitted the actuating fork on the wrong way round. Again, another easy fix. Didn't help that i had stripped it and he had rebuilt it while i was away.

WLF jumped out of high range a couple of times on the way to W&P, so Mike ratchet strapped the lever the prevent this. When we had time, we investigated the transfer box on the scrapper, and discovered Mike had fitted the actuating fork on the wrong way round. Again, another easy fix. Didn't help that i had stripped it and he had rebuilt it while i was away.

If he had posted pics as he went we could of told him:rofl: