Kudos to the Met Police & OT refuelling

RSSRobot

Whilst getting ready to go & refuel the OT this morning the dog suddenly got agitated and started woofing at the front door. This was followed by a thud from outside so we whipped the door open - to find two oiks trying to man-handle my old Landie engine down the drive. Told them to put it back and b*gg*r off but got a mouthful back and things deteriorated such that we dialled 999. Val ran out and got their reg number which we passed onto the police controller. Less than 5 minutes later we had 2 police cars outside the front door whilst a third had located and pulled the van. Turns out one of the thieving low-lifes was in possession of a fake credit card so it was an instant nick even without the charges of trying to nick my engine.

Finally got out at about 11:30 (instead of 08:00 as planned) and headed up to Gt Yeldham. Pulled into a Texaco filling station just outside Braintree and they gave permission to fill all 6 cans. Got 4 cans full - started pumping into the 5th only find myself standing in a rapidly growing pool of diesel... #5 had a rust hole in the bottom I hadn't noticed.. So I whipped the can up and decanted it into #6 - only lost about 2 litres over the garage floor!!! :cry:

Got to Gt Yeldham only to find we had no funnel so we jury-rigged one from a railway lamp and an old magazine then poured the fuel in. I now have 185 litres on the fuel gauge/indicator tube. Cranked the girl up and moved her out ready for the low loader on Tuesday before leaving. We finally got home around 17:00 and have been trying to lose the smell of diesel ever since. :)

Shame the two idiots didnt give them selves hernia's while they were at it ! I can't believe the boldness of some of these theves !

Ahh not to worry about the smell You never really be rid of it as long as you have a diesel powered item what with a spill here or there , changing fuel filters refilling fuel tank a dribble or spurt . You learn to live with it soon you no long even notice it .

Whats the OT-90 hold in gals. ?

why didnt you charge down drive in OT they would have left alot faster and never to return ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:)

Yes, but what a job picking bits out of the tracks! 'Oh sorry officer. I panicked and hit the wrong pedal. Then I reversed back to see if there was any damage. Then because I was so shocked my foot slipped again. would you like to borrow a sponge and envelope to take them away?:cool2:

Hi Neil,

I was having a little thought earlier, as you do. As the old girl isn't registered at the minute why don't you run it on Red Diesel? It's less than half the price of white and if you order 500 litres ( I should think the fuel tank is big enough ) the fuel company will deliver it. Saves all the hassle of Jerry cans and no doubt a week of thundering around the War & Peace arena will soon use a few 100 litres so there won't be much red left in it when you do get her registered.

Regards

Richard

Thats an interesting thought Richard! IF I could get them to deliver 500 litres (main tank is 650 litres with another 180 in each rear door) can they pump it straight into the OT's fuel tank ot would it be a drop-off in, say, 50 gallon drums and need hand pumping???

I can't see any reason why they wouldn't pump it straight into the OT90's fuel tank, it's no different to pumping it into a storage tank is it. And if you don't order more than 500 ltr at a time they only charge 5% VAT on red rather than the normal 17.5%, very useful if you're not a business user.

Regards

Richard

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Sounding even better - any recommended purveyors of the Red stuff????

Be carefull with this red stuff,when you use 47galls an hour you soon learn that its not normal diesel plus red dye,regardless of what they say.i have had high water content,high sulphar content,and in general the calorific value seems less conpaired with white,Generally i find the engines smoke more,Do we have a fuel expert to tell me i am imagining it?Having trialled red and white i know the difference soon as the throttle is opened.Maybe this is a marine problem,any member in the fuel industry can shed some light on this.

Might be worth investing in Bio kit and collecting all the waste oil from the locals.

My local machine shop can show you some nice nightmare engines and pumps inc L/rover where the owners have tried this c..p.

GAS IS FOR COOKING

OIL IS FOR CHIPS

DIESEL IS FOR ENGINES.

Be carefull with this red stuff,when you use 47galls an hour you soon learn that its not normal diesel plus red dye,regardless of what they say.i have had high water content,high sulphar content,and in general the calorific value seems less conpaired with white,Generally i find the engines smoke more,.

I certainly believe that engines smoke more when on Red Diesel, but I think this is just another way "they" can spot you using it. If you rev an engine running on white diesel hard you get black smoke from the stack but do the same running on red it's more of a white smoke. I'm geussing that it is something to do with the dye's used burning off. Red diesel also has more of a smell I think.

As for red diesel being harmfull to engines....tractors run on it all the time even modern tractors costing 100's of thousands of pounds,they seem OK. The high water content is more likely to come from how it is stored "at home" I would have thought, condensation forming in the tanks which aren't topped up very often. I don't know about the other stuff.

Anyfirm that does heating fuels should do Red Diesel, they'll do White too but unless you are buying it in Eddie Stobart quanities it's not going to be any cheaper than pump prices

Regards

Richard

Hi richard ,i wasnt suggesting red was harmfull,just not as good,when we lose red diesel for boats in november and have to pay road diesel prices ,the stuff they serve up will be red,thats fraud as far as i am concerned.I think most of the non black smoke is sulphar.i like a bit of black smoke.

horatiablacksmoke.jpg

Red diesel doesn't have to meet the same spec's as white and although the fuel companies say the fuel is the same except for the red dye it has been proved on occasion that the red has a higher sulphur content, I have also seen claims that the cetane rating is lower.

Neil,

The problem is, that once red is in the system it can be detected by Customs & Excise, even if you have run it out and go on to normal DERV, there will be a residue present. So when you get to go on the road, you run the risk of having it checked and detected.

Is the engine capable of running on multifuel principle? If so, the clumsy motorist could be your saviour, by using petrol/diesel mix.........all tax paid for by someone else!

Whilst I would suspect that with careful examination of a fuel system they might find residue from red diesel, if the tanks only have white in them I think the burden would be on HM Customs to prove that you used red diesel on the road.

I don't know how they view the use of red diesel at shows. I've heard "rumours "of test dipping of tractors and other vehicles at shows, with the idea that they are no longer used for agriculture and should run on white. I have to say that personally I have never seen it happen, and as long as the vehicle doesn't run on the road, I think you are safe using red.

One of our Scammells was registered as a mobile crane until shortly before we bought it, and was still running on red as an Historic Vehicle. As this was almost certainly wrong, it has run on white ever since, although I am currently considering changing mine to Agricultural as part of my business, which would let me run it on red. Ever thought of mounting 3 point linkage???

Red diesel doesn't have to meet the same spec's as white and although the fuel companies say the fuel is the same except for the red dye it has been proved on occasion that the red has a higher sulphur content, I have also seen claims that the cetane rating is lower.

Have done a bit of research,the cetane of red is about 41,and white is 53,lot less deturgents and additives,these make for a cleaner burn,so i was right this government are going to charge me for a product which is not fit for purpose.and i have no oppertunity to fill with white.Like i said i have to pay for what basically is central heating oil.How come i am over the hill but havnt reached the top.