de Havilland Mosquito flying

agripper

Does anyone know of any de Havilland Mosquito's flying . I knew the about one a few years back which used to belong to British Airospace, but thought that crashed. anyone know what did happen to that one and any others which may be flying or soon to fly. :???

Does anyone know of any de Havilland Mosquito's flying . I knew the about one a few years back which used to belong to British Airospace, but thought that crashed. anyone know what did happen to that one and any others which may be flying or soon to fly. :???

I expect you will be aware of this video showing the crash of what may well have been the last flying mosquito. A classic example of a pilot letting the presence of a crowd go to his head and attempting stunts beyond his, and the aircraft's, capabilities. Very sad.

There are no Mosquitos currently flying though there are projects to return one to the air and some new build airframes being manufactured, one nearing completion.

6X6, rather than critisicing the pilot of RR299, perhaps you should read the AAIB report into the accident. You would find it was a loss of engine power due to a faulty carburettor. There is no suggestion the pilot was flying inappropriately.

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resources/dft_avsafety_pdf_501355.pdf

A classic example of ill-informed comment?

Adrian, thank you for posting the AAIB report into this tragic accident. Having just read this report, I can only say how sad was this lost of a highly skilled and experienced pilot due to a technical fault that no one could have been reasonably aware of. Thank you for correcting me and my most sincere apologies to the pilot, a man much braver than me.

There are no Mosquitos currently flying though there are projects to return one to the air and some new build airframes being manufactured, one nearing completion.

6X6, rather than critisicing the pilot of RR299, perhaps you should read the AAIB report into the accident. You would find it was a loss of engine power due to a faulty carburettor. There is no suggestion the pilot was flying inappropriately.

I didn't want to comment as I was not sure but isn't this the one that had some 'suspect' work done on the carb by a company I worked for many moons ago? Umm reading report, yes it was.

Edited by Tony B

What a sad and yet compelling film.

I thought that I knew how to fiddle with carburetors but that report has made me think that I don't. That said, the aspect of float chamber gasket thickness is a very basic one.

Was there ever any legal action as a result of the failures noted by BBMF ?

Having just seen the film on It looks like he was not far of recovering it , If he had a little more height he may have done it. Having spoken to display pilots in the past, there is always the question of saving themselves in preference to the public by putting the aircraft down anywhere, I would like to think the pilot knew that his actions would result in possibly being able to save himself but was certain he would not harm anyone else. There is always risk when flying so low and the public want to see these aircraft as close as possible , there is always going to be loss. I would rather there was not and no loss of life, but that as they say is life.

Off to Waddington today so hope there are no such porblems.

Adrian, thank you for posting the AAIB report into this tragic accident. Having just read this report, I can only say how sad was this lost of a highly skilled and experienced pilot due to a technical fault that no one could have been reasonably aware of. Thank you for correcting me and my most sincere apologies to the pilot, a man much braver than me.

Top man. Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh....

They is something so wrong with footage like this on YouTube. There is something not right about watching someone dieing - YouTube is full of this stuff especially from the war in the middle East. It should be banned. Are we really that desensitized??

Jack, I don't think that we are desensitized. I haven't seen any 'recent' footage (wouldn't bother to look) but I think that the chances are that someone who was videoing a display in the 1990s was not a ghoul but an aeroplane enthusiast. you can hear the shocked voices.

The availability of the film clip means that the crew of the Mossie are not forgotten.

It is perhaps not a bad thing to sometimes quietly contemplate the risks that we and others take for our hobbies and to consider our own mortality.

Whilist I agree with Jack that a lot of you tube ably demonstrates a sick world. We all film at events such as airshows and events, and by the nature of things, fatalities can happen. the existence of this film, and the willingness of the person taking it to give it up was a crucial piece of evidence available to the investigators. You have the photographers dillema, you are intuding.Yet the picture of the child running nacked in Vietnam, whilist burning with Napalm? The shot was taken and the immediate reaction was why take pictures when you could have helped her? However that image became iconic and for better or worse had a major influence on US involment.

It's a catch-22 scenario! You're damned if you - but either you or some one else is damned if you don't. The Mozzie footage is one thing and I share Tonys view on it but I'd also agree with Jack in that the footage from Irag etc that is contemporary has no place in public consumption. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the targets do people really need to see a group of human beings turned into pulp by a laser guided bomb???

I know this is way off topic but I truly believe the current trend of violent crime such as the stabbings in London (18 this year) are because children are brought up on a daily dose of violence from either the media or video games such that it is now their norm.

Jack, I don't think that we are desensitized. I haven't seen any 'recent' footage (wouldn't bother to look) but I think that the chances are that someone who was videoing a display in the 1990s was not a ghoul but an aeroplane enthusiast. you can hear the shocked voices.

The availability of the film clip means that the crew of the Mossie are not forgotten.

It is perhaps not a bad thing to sometimes quietly contemplate the risks that we and others take for our hobbies and to consider our own mortality.

Damn fine points and noted.

but I truly believe the current trend of violent crime such as the stabbings in London (18 this year) are because children are brought up on a daily dose of violence from either the media or video games such that it is now their norm.

Have to agree there Neil and wasn't aware of any stabbings in London - you can see why I don't listen, watch or read the news.

Your not missing much Jack. One thing that wound me up about the A Team, thousnads of rounds fired, no person hit. I was taken out as a young sprog, a large pice of pork was hung up, and then it was blasted with a 12 bore. Only after that was I allowed to start shooting.

I was at Barton when the accident happened at the time both of us were absolutely gutted that we had seen to people die in an aircraft that was notoriously difficult to land or take off on one engine. The RAF stopped single engine practice landings due to more accidents being caused by practising for something that might happen. RAF practice if an engine failed on take off was to cut power to the good engine and stop. If it wasn't possible to stop due to flying speed almost being reached standard procedure was to pull the undercarriage up and belly in. Now I haven't just picked this one out of the air as it were I read quite a bit about the Mosquito after the accident, Flypast Magazine covered the aftermath of the accident and provided details of the air accident investigation report which completely exonerated the pilot.

Flypast Magazine & Aircraft Enthusiast subsequently had a series of articles about the Mosquito its flying characteristics with a special mention to single engine performance which caught out even very experienced Mosquito pilots which usually killed the pilot and the navigator as in the accident at Barton. Without going looking at that kind of crap on you tube I can still remember watching the Mosquito slowing down on its wing over and remarking to Janine I think its going to crash but hoping they would pull up all the same.... bloody shame for all concerned.

Andy

RAF practice if an engine failed on take off was to cut power to the good engine and stop.

Andy

Not just the RAF. All twin engined aircraft have a single engine safety speed known as Vmcg below which it is not possible to maintain runway heading in the event of an engine failure. It's a function of torque, rudder authority and which engine is lost. Sometimes a reduction in power on the good engine can keep you out of trouble and still allow a take off. You do need an aircraft with plenty of power to start with though! Mosquito does have quite a high Vmcg but that has no relevance to this incident.

Regarding banning clips such as the Barton Mosquito, that sounds like censorship.

Certainly the biggest 'difference' between single and twin operation all other things being equal is assymetric operation. The loss of one engine in the push pull design is less problematical than in a conventional twin. I would guess that is what led to the development of that design. I understand that the C336 and presumably the 337 have no Vmcg and Vmca speeds. Single engine take offs are not allowed though!

My step-father served two tours in Vietnam, some as a flight engineer and some as an observer in O-2s, the military version of the C336. I took him flying a couple of years ago and we did some lowish level over the jungles of Suffolk (Rendlesham forest!) and he had some interesting memories.

Losing one engine due to ground fire was not uncommon!

• 1 month later...

Being quite a fan of Mossies i've done a bit of research in the past into 'flyers'. A good place to start is mossie.org

But by far and away the best place is http://www.mosquitorestoration.com

You can read the story yourself on the website, but basically this is a chap called Glyn Powell in New Zealand who made the moulds needed to manufacture the fuselage, (it is made in two halves), and then made a whole new fuselage, which went off to a group in Windsor Ontario as part of a static display, the second one!!! stay with me, went to a company in New Zealand called Avspecs who are fitting it out to flying condition for the Fighter Factory collection in Virginia, and now hes building one for himself!!!

As you'll find on mossie.org, there are several other contenders for flyable mossies dotted around the world.

Richard

• 1 month later...