Painting

Centurion

Hi all

I suspect the answer to this may already exist somewhere in the forum but Ill ask anyway. Has anyone used one of those electric spray guns to paint youv Mv.

I know compressed air is better but dont want to spend that much for what may be a one use item. When Im only painting a jeep and not something larger.

Also can anyone recommend a paint supplier Im looking for Nato semi gloss finish.( is it like a soft sheen?) is 5 litres sufficient to topcoat a jeep?

regards Centurion

Dunno if this helps but there was an article in one of the classic car mags about a year or so ago comparing the electric HVLP guns against conventional air pressure guns. IIRC for small vehicles (i.e) around mini-sized) the HVLP came out best - esp as there is minimal over-spray For larger vehicles, though, the air pressure guns scored better.

On this basis I guess if you are spraying something the size of a jeep then the electric HVLP is suitable....

Hope this is useful to you!!!

(HVLP = High Volume, Low Pressure)

I get all my paints from RR services but War Paint and Jeffery Engineering use the same supplier, they can get most colours you need, the quality is good also, and postage costs are reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Tyler.

Good question and something that has crossed my mind as I have looked at about a thousand different ways to paint my GMC and I liked the look of this but I did bin the idea as I would be buying a piece of kit that I could only use for one job :cry: so not that cost affective :cry:

But like Centurion, I would be interested to hear if anyone else has used one.

Good question

But like Centurion, I would be interested to hear if anyone else has used one.

About 20 years ago I bought a Bosch electric spray gun to paint a MV, purely for practical reasons. There was no mains electric available and to use a compressor, a large generator would have been needed. So we used the electric gun with a small gen set. You will not get as good a finish as an air gun as there is not so much control on it, although saying this, there may be more sophisticated guns available nowadays. But for a military vehicle with semi matt paint it was fine.

I have to say, if you have a compressor, some of the really cheap spray guns that come in the kits (paraffin gun, blow gun, tyre inflator, etc.) for around £25 are not too bad at all. It is a question of practice and getting the mix of paint and thinners right.

Richard

Other thing worth thinking on is if you have, or some one in the same storage are has something like an RL or Miltiant or even, dare I say it, a Stalwart these all have airline points normally for use in pumping up tyres and this can also be used to spray the vehicles with. Somewhere around here I've got a picture of an MK up on ramps at the Duke of Yorks with a REME fitter painting it using the MK's own compressor.....

I would advise anyone restoring a vehicle to buy an air compressor. Since having ours we've ended up using it for loads of jobs. Not just spraying paint, but spraying cleaning products, needle scacling and inflating tyres etc. We started out with the cheap Machine Mart kit and expanded it as we needed different or better tools. If you get a decent enough compressor you can even buy a spot blasting gun, which is like sandblasting but only blasts a confined area. If you're going to do a decent restoration, or intend to do another vehicle after it's well worth the money.

Chris