Vehicles at Fort Bliss US.

Rick W

I think they are lovely trucks. There was a half ton panel van on Bolero as well. Absolutely beautiful. I'd have one tomorrow - actually I'd have several - this is where my lottery win will go.....when it comes:-D I'll post some pictures when I get home from work.

While we're on the subject. Am I correct in assuming the half ton range for the US Army were partly based on civilian vehicles which were altered in stages and that the uprating to 3/4 ton was to beef up the range and completely militarise and standardise them? As far as I know, the 3/4 ton were all built by the Fargo Division of Chrysler...does this apply to the 1/2 ton too?

I think they are lovely trucks. There was a half ton panel van on Bolero as well. Absolutely beautiful. I'd have one tomorrow - actually I'd have several - this is where my lottery win will go.....when it comes:-D I'll post some pictures when I get home from work.

While we're on the subject. Am I correct in assuming the half ton range for the US Army were partly based on civilian vehicles which were altered in stages and that the uprating to 3/4 ton was to beef up the range and completely militarise and standardise them? As far as I know, the 3/4 ton were all built by the Fargo Division of Chrysler...does this apply to the 1/2 ton too?

The american goverment, having had the fiasco of the Liberty truck, realised in the 1930's they had to mechanise fast. A broad outline of requirments was issued, including the use of as many commercial parts as possible. the companies were then left alone to get on with it. Initially the 1/2 ton spec was 'sealead'. However afte user trial dodge built a private venture 3/4 ton payload vehicle, using 80% commonanality with the 1/2 ton. the diffrence was so impressive that the USQMG opned the list agin and the rest as they say, is history. All the WC range were built at Mound road detroit, the factory being purpose built. Apart from imoproved load the WC was wider, and more stable, lower, and had greater range. Most of the variants were dropped and the output concentrated on the WC 51 and 52, any variation such as the KD64 ambulance being based on those chassis. The 6 wheel 1 1/2 ton was introduced as a stopgap when the size of an infantary squad was enlarged from 8 men to 12. the vehicles were not that succesful and became redundant wit the increase in 2 1/2 ton production such as GMC. Following WW2, the design was cosmetically altered and became the Powerwagon range.

• 2 weeks later...

Along the thread of the American south west as a training area before and during WWII I found a very good clip dealing with camouflage decoys and dummies mainly using 1/4 ton trucks (Jeeps) to be covered with canvas tank bodies and there are a few shots of Stuart tanks being given false canvas tops to appear as trucks. It would be interesting if either were recreated for a MV show now adays

http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/564.cfm?sd=55

This site has Great WWI or the Great war combat flims as well as WWII both allied and axis and much more

Edited by abn deuce

Along the thread of the American south west as a training area before and during WWII I found a very good clip dealing with camouflage decoys and dummies mainly using 1/4 ton trucks (Jeeps) to be covered with canvas tank bodies and there are a few shots of Stuart tanks being given false canvas tops to appear as trucks. It would be interesting if either were recreated for a MV show now adays

http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/564.cfm?sd=55

This site has Great WWI or the Great war combat flims as well as WWII both allied and axis and much more

Great footage!!!!

Thanks for the heads up.

• 5 years later...