Hello from Cambridge

JonP

Hi everyone,

My names Jon and I live just South of Cambridge.

I've always been interested military vehicles since I was a kid. When I was a little nipper they filmed part of 'Yanks' at the old ordnance factory in my village... I recall the hospital garden party that year where they were giving 'joyrides' in the jeeps and trucks used in the filming!

Anyway, I'm a big fan of bigband music and 8 Years ago I started to learn jive/lindyhop, and with that came the trips to 1940's events and hanger dances. For the past few years I've fancied getting a jeep and I've finally decided to take the plunge. :yay:

Jon

Yo Jon,

I share your love of 1940's music and was a regular jiver with an ex partner. I tend to do my music obsession more in the winter months and my MV obsession more in the summer months. You'll find plenty of like minded inmates on the Jeep Ward of the Asylum. Good luck with finding a nice jeep. (Oh sorry, they're all nice)

I well remember our flat shaking to my dad playing his Miller and Dorsey 78s on the radiogram. One of my very favourite records will always be John Dankworth's Three Blind Mice pastiche of all the big names. I listen to a complete mass of different sounds. Music is food to me - but the old big bands just have something that make me smile. It's quality music.

Nice to have you here Jon. Good luck on your jeep hunt...

MB

Welcome Jon

Can't beat the swingin stuff its the best!

I'm cramming the house full of 78's of wartime & 30's stuff... marvellous.

I couldn't dance if someone held a gun to me head... but i have been a drummer on and off since i was 16... I'd love to play in a swing band perhaps an HMVF band is in the offing?

Y'dancin' ?

Blimey do they still do that show. I rememer dad driving the Stolly up the North Circular (i think that was the way) to get to the M11 and we got there to late on the Sat and had to stay in a pub car park just down the road..can't believe thats 9 years ago.Welcome to the forum if i havnt said before.

Not this year as got other plans for the weekend :-( But it is handy having Duxford just up the road. I think its free entry after a certain time in the afternoon (they shut at 6pm though so you'll have to run up to the vehicle hanger :) )

Hi Jon ..welcome..i live in Haverhill which is also south of Cambridge...a LOT of wartime MV activity down here on the borders...:-)

I have 2 x Willys MB Jeeps... 1 x Bantam Trailer and a M20 Armored Car and am also a US WW2 Re enactor....

See you at Duxford on sunday perhaps ?

Enjoy the forum

Regards

Lloyd

Edited by M8Greyhound

Unfortunately I have already got plans for Sunday so won't be able to make it to Duxford this time :o/ but I'm sure there'll be others :) Would have been a good opportunity to meet some faces.

Lauren - I just re-read your message. What Hop Farm?

Anyway, glad to hears there's plenty of MV's around here... I was beginning to wonder where they all were ;o)

Lloyd, I don't suppose it would be possible to pop up and have a look at your two jeeps as we're off to look at some jeeps for sale next week and it would be useful to have a closer look at a jeep before we go?

Thanks

Jon