Bedford MW g/box(?) play up. Suggestions?

No Signals

I'm finding if I am going uphill (any kind of incline) then it can be almost impossible to get in to top from third gear. It is almost as if the driver train being under pressure is stopping selection due to wear somewhere, and the slowing down of the vehicle as the power is lifted off as a change is tried to be made prevents full/proper movement of some part of the selectors Am I thinking on the right lines here? Once over the top, or on the flat, selection is not a problem. Any suggestions as to which part of the 'system' to inspect first?

I'm finding if I am going uphill (any kind of incline) then it can be almost impossible to get in to top from third gear. It is almost as if the driver train being under pressure is stopping selection due to wear somewhere, and the slowing down of the vehicle as the power is lifted off as a change is tried to be made prevents full/proper movement of some part of the selectors Am I thinking on the right lines here? Once over the top, or on the flat, selection is not a problem. Any suggestions as to which part of the 'system' to inspect first?

With respect.....if you are trying to change up to top gear on a hill in a Bedford..........that is the problem. I have driven many Bedfords with these engines and to go up a hill you try to go as far as possible in high gear, then change down to get to the top of the hill, rarely possible to change up. Hence why the problem is over once you have crested the hill.

I may have not quite understood your post though, are you saying it will not enter mesh, ie gratting noise..............or is it that the lever will not move out of 3rd in to Top at all ?

Richard

With respect.....if you are trying to change up to top gear on a hill in a Bedford..........that is the problem. I have driven many Bedfords with these engines and to go up a hill you try to go as far as possible in high gear, then change down to get to the top of the hill, rarely possible to change up. Hence why the problem is over once you have crested the hill.

I may have not quite understood your post though, are you saying it will not enter mesh, ie gratting noise..............or is it that the lever will not move out of 3rd in to Top at all ?

Richard

OK, that seems to be it! It is just that with some of the journeys I have done recently I have had to start from scratch on an uphill incline (not necessarily 'a hill', but going up). I have got up to third but then had the grating when trying for top. The incline would have been taken in top no problem if I'd had 'a run' at it, which made me think it was a problem which had developed. You assume the situation correct, it grates but will not engage. I had not heard of this phenomenia before but if it is par for the course then fine, glad to know about it. Saves stripping the box!! Thanks for that Richard.

Duncan

OK, that seems to be it! It is just that with some of the journeys I have done recently I have had to start from scratch on an uphill incline (not necessarily 'a hill', but going up). I have got up to third but then had the grating when trying for top. The incline would have been taken in top no problem if I'd had 'a run' at it, which made me think it was a problem which had developed. You assume the situation correct, it grates but will not engage. I had not heard of this phenomenia before but if it is par for the course then fine, glad to know about it. Saves stripping the box!! Thanks for that Richard.

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

What is happening is that you are not getting enough road speed to go into top gear, because as you double declutch going uphill, the speed drops off rapidly.

Glad to hear it has put you mind at rest :)

Re hill climbing in Bedfords,.......its amazing to find just how far they will climb,..ok speed, drops away rapidly, but on very odd occasions I've been caught out, by changing down, when I felt the motor was labouring too much, only to find speed was still too great to effect 'silent', change........CRUNCH,..Oops.

A dose of Slick 50 gearbox additive quiets an awful lot of problems. Might be worth checking the gate for wear and gearbox lever selector bearings. Happens in landy's when the roll pin that holds the actual shift lever in wears.

• 4 weeks later...

Update. No longer hill or speed related regarding selecting of top. Pleases itself if it will go in at all and also refuses to go back to anything else without application of force and ignorance (of which I am blessed with plenty of both :) ) So I reckon Tony's suggestion of worn gate / pin / selector bearings has to be the starting point for inspection. Once more in to the box dear friends once more!