Hello from Marlborough

Hi guys,

Just like to say hello to everyone.

Watched the Route to Victory this weekend and was well impressed with, not only the standard of the vehicles, but also the length you guys (and girls) go too, to look the part.

A big up to you all, keep up the good work. :tup::

Nick

Welcome Nick, Unfortunatley, SOME of us had to keep the wheels of industry turning. You are a very lucky chappie, having so much military archeology around you. The Kennet & Avon canal virtually chops England in half. theres the stop line down by pumping station just through the Savernake, and at least 1 pill box in Wotton Rivers. Plus the jewel in the crown, Martinsell is described as a fort. So even if no vehicles (Yet!) Get the camera out, Snapper is about to keel hauled around a WLF till he agress to second book project on Military Archeology .

Hi Nick and welcome to the forum! Please read this warning very carefully:

Being amongst military vehicle owners gives you a very high probability of catching the green virus (phase one) and then wanting to own one yourself (phase two). When the first signs of this start to appear, please shutdown your computer and run like hell! After Phase one there is no going back and the virus will stick with you for the rest of your life.

Please be aware of this major hazard to your wallet and your marriage.

Welcome to the Forum one of the old heads should be around shortly to give you the skinny on cleaning duties about the clubhouse and parking lot . Its not alot to do and the rewards will make it all worth while.

Hey swiftnick,

The best "looking the part" I ever saw at a vintage car show wasn't an MV but an elderly Wolseley 6/80 police car with a bell on the front and manned by an elderly couple, both in period police uniforms, but best of all, sitting on the back seat, was an elderly, grey whisked german shepherd police dog. Car, coppers and dog all looked they been trapped in some kind of time warp. Maybe they had.

Welcome Nick, Unfortunatley, SOME of us had to keep the wheels of industry turning. You are a very lucky chappie, having so much military archeology around you. The Kennet & Avon canal virtually chops England in half. theres the stop line down by pumping station just through the Savernake, and at least 1 pill box in Wotton Rivers. Plus the jewel in the crown, Martinsell is described as a fort. So even if no vehicles (Yet!) Get the camera out, Snapper is about to keel hauled around a WLF till he agress to second book project on Military Archeology .

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the welcome.

Your right there is a lot of miliatary archeology around me but unfortunately I've been oblivious to it! :shocked:

Can you tell me what the "stop line" means by the pumping station? I was born and bread only 3 miles from Crofton pumping station but never knew it had military significance.

Many thanks

Nick

Hi Nick and welcome to the forum! Please read this warning very carefully:

Being amongst military vehicle owners gives you a very high probability of catching the green virus (phase one) and then wanting to own one yourself (phase two). When the first signs of this start to appear, please shutdown your computer and run like hell! After Phase one there is no going back and the virus will stick with you for the rest of your life.

Please be aware of this major hazard to your wallet and your marriage.

Hi Joris,

Thanks for your kind advice, but I think it came a bit too late that's why I've ended up joining your forum :cry:

Currently in phase two :cool2:

How much is this going to cost me :shake:

Thanks Nick

hi mate in answer to question 2, well, do you really need to eat or buy new clothes? What's the point of diying a rich man? Get yourself a nice plain vanilla Dodge WC51, life don't come much better. As for Crofton, couldn't for the life of me remember the name. There is nearby a stop line of pill boxes and anti tank gun site that covered the bridge at the end of the switch back through the forest, it was part of what was known as the GHQ line. Has been a long time since I was up there. If you know Manor farm at Wotton Rivers, there is a bridge of the canal on the edge of the house, it has a pillbox covering it. they pop up at all sorts of odd places along the canal. the pumping station was important as it obviously maintained the level of the canal, essential to keep stuff moving and could have been used to flood areas making it difficult or imposible for tanks,

Edited by Tony B

Welcome to the Forum one of the old heads should be around shortly to give you the skinny on cleaning duties about the clubhouse and parking lot . Its not alot to do and the rewards will make it all worth while.

:cry: I didn't sign up for this!!! :(

there is also the lesser infenction called pw itis this can be curred with staying with a cheap modern exforces vehicle eg landy or bike

but it can also grow with 9x9,trailer,cookers and radio equip also wepons available till tracked takes over

But if every one coming into the hobby does that then the (comparatively) few survivng bits of British WW2 won't survive will they???.

And, perhaps even worse, will then help propogate the Hollywood view of the war that it was only fought and won by Americans!! (no offence intended to the US members of the forum!!)

Hi Nick

Welcome to the mad-house!

I'm glad you liked last weekends convoys - Did you see the parade through Marlborough High Street? If not a piccy is shown below.

DSC_0756.jpg

Marlborough High Street - Saturday afternoon

I was also born in Savernake and raised in Marlborough for 27 of my 33 years, then moved to East Anglia in 2002. I was the person responsible for the three convoy routes over the weekend, which is why they took in so much good country, because its my old stamping ground.

DSC_0717.jpg

The Grand Avenue - Savernake Forest

I roughed the routes out on a map and then Ed Abbott fine tuned the final routes and contacted all the relevant land owners to request permission for 60+ WWII waggons to roll across their land - No mean feat! Furthermore, he then organised his Dispatch Riders to marshals us on all the chosen roads throughout the entire weekend!

DSC_0386.jpg

Private roads between Littlecote House and Ramsbury Airfield

Did you see this weeks Gazette & Hereald newspaper - Nigel did us a brilliant 2 page spread with photos.

Cheers

Clive D Stevens

Edited by M5Clive

But if every one coming into the hobby does that then the (comparatively) few survivng bits of British WW2 won't survive will they???.

And, perhaps even worse, will then help propogate the Hollywood view of the war that it was only fought and won by Americans!! (no offence intended to the US members of the forum!!)

That is one reason we are all here, to spread the truth. The vetran's of WW2 are a finite rescourse, they ain't making any more. If you come across one sit them comfortably add loads of tea and possibly something stronger, pin ears back and listen!! Never dull.

Hi Nick

Welcome to the mad-house!

I'm glad you liked last weekends convoys - Did you see the parade through Marlborough High Street? If not a piccy is shown below.

DSC_0756.jpg

Marlborough High Street - Saturday afternoon

I was also born in Savernake and raised in Marlborough for 27 of my 33 years, then moved to East Anglia in 2002. I was the person responsible for the three convoy routes over the weekend, which is why they took in so much good country, because its my old stamping ground.

DSC_0717.jpg

The Grand Avenue - Savernake Forest

I roughed the routes out on a map and then Ed Abbott fine tuned the final routes and contacted all the relevant land owners to request permission for 60+ WWII waggons to roll across their land - No mean feat! Furthermore, he then organised his Dispatch Riders to marshals us on all the chosen roads throughout the entire weekend!

DSC_0386.jpg

Private roads between Littlecote House and Ramsbury Airfield

Did you see this weeks Gazette & Hereald newspaper - Nigel did us a brilliant 2 page spread with photos.

Cheers

Clive D Stevens

Hi Clive,

Although I didn't get to see the parade in Marlborough, I work in Great Bedwyn and was fortunate enough to see you guys in Savernake forest on my way home on Saturday afternoon and also the parade through the village on Sunday morning.

Very impressive.

Nick

Couldn't have put it better meself, Neil.

I've absolutly NO problems with folks owning vehicles of other nationalities, what does get to me, however, is the perception by, at times those who ought to know better,..........although, fortunatly not be anyone on this forum :), that british vehicles were out of date rubbish, and we needed to be propped up up the stuff comming in from the states.

Hollyweird has done a really good :??? job of whitewashing history, even down to vehicles. Can guarentee the fact that, get a group of wwii vintage vehicles parked up, the general public will walk past any amounts of Bedfords/Morrises etc to look at a Jimmy, if theres one there.

Not sour grapes from a bedford owner,.......I get my satisfaction from driving something thats a little piece of English history. :-D