Land Rover FFR Mk8

Bacchus_son

Hi,

I have just bought a 1960's Land Rover Mk8 (series 2A) 24 volt FFR,very complete and original and I'm hoping to restore it to in service condition with Larkspur radios etc. The military registration is 94 EL 31 and I was hoping someone maybe able to tell me when it would have entered service,and if it may be possible to trace which units it served with.

Going by the chassis number it was built in 1964,and it's civvy registration dates from 1974.

If anyone remembers these in service or has any photos of them I'd love to hear/see them,I have searched the web but there is little info around on the early FFR Landy's.

Cheers!

Matt.

Hi Matt, RLC museum at Deepcut have the vehicle records now. I also have photos of a vehicle for sale that is the same age and has the complete Larkspur kit with it. If your intrested in a vehicle for spares and the kit send me a PM aand I'll send a number or look on HMVF vidio ads.

DSCF3192.JPG

• 1 year later...

If anyone remembers these in service or has any photos of them I'd love to hear/see them,I have searched the web but there is little info around on the early FFR Landy's.

If you are still after info, then I can help. The ERM for my 1964 Rover 8 FFR is ??EL37. I have parts manuals, User Handbooks, photos, period radio manuals for fitting the equipment etc.

You certainly have a motor that's pretty rare these days. Can I suggest you also look at the EMLRA forum as well, tons of expertise there on earlier Land Rovers.

If you do a search, you should find the contact details for Deepcut, worth a ring first as the £25 search fee is non-refundable if they don't have the record card. As you have the military reg and it's fairly old, there's a very good chance they'll have it.

Under the old pre 1984 registration system, yours got a 1974 reg as that's the year it was sold in to the civvy market.

That's a generous offer from ferret, bite his hand off!

EMLRA history searches use the Merlin System to get data I think? Depending on when the Merlin System was introduced, the service history for a 1964 Land Rover may be missing. Clive, do you happen to know when the old card system was replaced?

Your vehicle (94EL31) is from the same batch of 1401 vehicles as mine. The contract is WV2985 and covered ERM's 83EL25 to 97EL25. As I do not know the first two digits of my ERM I know it is one of 14 vehicles! I have spoken to Deepcut about this and they have confirmed that they do have a complete run of cards for this contract.

EMLRA history searches use the Merlin System to get data I think? Depending on when the Merlin System was introduced, the service history for a 1964 Land Rover may be missing. Clive, do you happen to know when the old card system was replaced?

I don't know how MERLIN searches relate to the various ADP systems used over the years VESPER, SALOME, JAMES & now JAMES 2. But ISTR that I got basic information from MERLIN on some Humbers that went into service in the early 1950s.

Hi Matt,

I used to own 62EL62, a 1964 series 2a 88'. When I tried to find it's history card I was told there was a huge batch of EL series cards missing, I dont know if this is still true.

Hi Matt.

Check out my blog in my sig for my early 2a 109 which sounds very similar to the one you have just bought. There seems to be very few of these about these days.

Ideally I would like to get a pair of Larkspur antennas to refit to the rear tub but I don't know what hope I have a reasonable money?

Cheers,

Paul

Ideally I would like to get a pair of Larkspur antennas to refit to the rear tub but I don't know what hope I have a reasonable money?

Cheers,

Paul

You could pick up the complete side mounts for under £20 at W&P. I got two side stalks for £10 and C&S Tat have one example of the early style stalk for £10. All you would then need is the correct aerial base for the radio system you wanted to recreate having. The aerials can be bought for between £3 and £5 a section.

If you are after the wing boxes for the front wings then you will have to search harder. People like me have them all stashed away for a rainy day. Most of mine are complete and operational with the tuning unit as well! They are not cheap...

• 4 years later...

Your vehicle (94EL31) is from the same batch of 1401 vehicles as mine. The contract is WV2985 and covered ERM's 83EL25 to 97EL25. As I do not know the first two digits of my ERM I know it is one of 14 vehicles! I have spoken to Deepcut about this and they have confirmed that they do have a complete run of cards for this contract.

It's amazing what you read and it just passes you by as it were.

Whilst going through the process of sell or keep with my Rover 8 FFR recently I have noticed that it's ERM is 93EL57, which pitches it right in the heart of the contract run. The data plate does indeed state WV/2985.

I have uncovered some markings from a TA signals sqn on it, but was always wondering if deepcut had any records.

From what you say Ferret it may be possible. Nice to know I guess

Edited by Rover8FFR
grammar