GMC - adjusting my brakes...

Jack

Morning all.

I have fitted all of my new brakes etc etc and now I need to adjust them up.

Now this isn't a problem to do and now how to do it so no worries there but....

I have fitted all axles so my braking ability first of all is going to be effected and I will not be taking the GMC onto the road until I am happy so...

Is there anything I need to know before I do this. Do you have any tricks of the trade to ensure that my brakes are perfect and balance before I go on the road??

Tighten them all up first and then work back from there?

Cheers.

Jack.

Run for a couple of hundreds yards with your foot on the brake, like with wet brakes then check settings. this takes any glaze or odd lumps off the shoes. The only true way is to get it to a commercial rolling road. Get a nice wide straight place, get to 20 mph and do a controlled stop. The vehicle should stop in a straight line in half to three quarters its own lenghth. This is the rough and ready way of checking bus brakes.

Jack,

I always do them by winding the adjusters on untill you can't turn the wheel anymore, then backing them off a bit at a time untill it spins freely. Do them all like this, take it for a drive, if it pulls to one side then go back and adjust them.

Chris

get each one so it binds then back it off a bit so it spins free, fronts are a bit of an art as you can adjust the top and bottoms, as said previous it should pull up straight and quick, they are good brakes. Did you bleed the hydrovac first, depending on which one you have there is a pattern to doing this as there a 2 bleed points, one has to be done before the other, then work round all the wheels.

get each one so it binds then back it off a bit so it spins free

Sometimes the shoe pivots can be a bit stiff and prevent the shoe from sitting freely in the correct position- make sure the shoe is well aligned with drum by jamming the brakes on hard after this initial setting, and then repeat the process again (of adjusting 'till shoes just bind and back off a little).

One tip told to me by a very experienced guy was - on old vehicles which don't get a lot of use, if you adjust brakes too well the cylinder hardly moves - this can sometimes cause premature cylinder seizure/failure through lack of movement. This can be prevented by allowing a little more movement than normal. Anyone care to comment on this?