post war GMC

abn deuce

It seems that this narrow gage locomotive does not weigh much as the tires and suspention are not showing signs of any overloading . Note the " wall " composed of PSP or pierced steel planking. Usually used for temporary runways during WWII .from "Lone Rover" site

normal_GMC-Loco_la_gileppe.jpg

lets see how long it is until the jokes start.

• 8 months later...

Thought this the best place to post ,Most likely a post war modification this CCKW on display at an Air Base in Israel

caption :Description: A crane at Muzeyon Heyl ha-Avir, Hatzerim airbase, Israel. 2006. Source: Photo by User:Bukvoed.

800px-Crane-hatzerim-1-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

AAG vehicles 1948 note communiction shelters on the GMC's from Life magazine site

caption :

Army Transport Service about to sail with load of AAG vehicles being removed from Nanking to 8th Army headquarters in Japan.

Location:China Date taken December 1948 Photographer:Jack Birns

MilitaryVehicles1948china.jpg

Edited by abn deuce
added source

Would love to see Hanno's photograph collection!!!!

Click here :D

Seriously Jack, I find a lot through actively participating in great internet forums like this one.

That said, I do have quite a number of pictures from the pre-digital camera era that need scanning sometime (after I retire, perhaps...)

- Hanno

Edited by mcspool

I m guessing the side opens and the three pipes are legs for the lower half when lowered to form a deck ?

Yes, it is a workshop truck of which the side opens to expand the working area. Sorry, I don´t have pics of one fully deployed.

- Hanno

Bloody nice truck, Hanno. Good call.

One of these was offered for sale on MilWeb sometime last year. I got interested as I did not know the Dutch Army had their own workshop body. I asked some people in the know and they came up with information. Then found this pic while browsing one of the Dutch HMV club sites.

I am glad to see this truck in proper Dutch Army configuration and livery. It makes a refreshing change from a bog standard CCKW in US markings (not that I have anything against them, I married in one!).

- Hanno (from Holland)

Edited by mcspool

• 1 month later...

Moving DP's shortly after the War, note the added Gas can holder racks

Truck carrying displaced persons arriving at a United Nations Relief & Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) camp. Location: Wildflecken, Germany Date taken: 1945 Photographer: David E. Scherman

Holland1945displacedpersons.jpg

• 7 months later...

Timespanr

Posting to "Abn Duce"

which states

1945 GMC CCKW353h-1 488*** airportable dump w/w split axle 19** wooden Ben Hur rebuilt 2-15-1958

I would but suggest to you that it is NOT as stated but a

1945 CCKW-352 (SWB)(Short Wheel Based) Airportable Dump Trk w/w Split Axle.

I can understand where the suggestion "wooden Ben Hur rebuilt 2-15-1958" comes from? "Ben Hur" would conitate at WWII Trailer 2Wh which later came to be known as M101 thru M105 Series. But, I fail to see any trailer in this picture...help me please

Timespanner, you are reading abn's "signature line" which appears at the botttom of all his posts, and which gives the detail of his magnificent gmc and Ben Hur trailer :-D

But look at the spare wheel located in front of the rear bogie - it's a 353 in the last picture :coffee:

P.S. You can't get out of clubhouse new entrant chores by not introducing yourself :nono: :-D

I forgot to say - "Welcome!"

Edited by N.O.S.