Clansman Headset?

ferrettkitt

Question

Does anyone recognise this clansman headset I bought last year off ebay had a quick look thought that it looked o.k. left it in the box until I thought I might need it. I opened the box up at the weekend so that I could take a few pictures of the differant types of clansman helmets/headsets that I own, realised that this particular headset doesn't have a microphone. Whats it for?? Just for listening no interaction?

Andy

15 answers to this question

After my time, I'm afraid. The cans remind me of the Staff User Headgear but it wasn't adjusted using velcro. And it had a boom mike.

Certainly not on our kit list to 1982 and I was Regimental Signals Storeman aside from real work duties around that time, so I saw all the kit.

I can think of no purpose whatsoever for this headgear in a Recce Regt.

Andy,

Nice headset, now you need a Spartan to go with it! In the back of the Spartan there are some Active Noise Reduction boxes, 1 master unit and 2 slave units. These are wired into the intercom and allow the passengers to use ANR on its own, to make things a bit quieter, or listen to the intercom. The slave units have holes through which the spring clips fasten to allow the headsets to be stowed. There should be 4 headsets per vehicle.

There are some photos on my website. http://www.sirhc.co.uk/gallery

Chris

being at bit computer illiterate this may not actually be Chris's site but when i tried his link 2 minutes ago my virus software went into overdrive with warning alerts

Same here & it just crashed my PC... looks like it may of been hacked Chris as it's trying to divert you to another site...

Hi Chris

Thanks for the quick reply

Andy,

Nice headset, now you need a Spartan to go with it! Chris

Maybe in the future can't help but think that I've gone the wrong way in buying the headset first

Websites o.k. had no problems getting on your site

Regds

Andy

Abn,

The commanders seat is mounted to the fuel tank. The sliding mechanism to raise/lower it is actually below the fuel leveland the thick metal is actually a mounting flange. The fuel tank is quite thin, which explains all the ribs and thick flange.

Chris

slightly off thread

that was the main problem with post diesel CVRT, the crews literally sitting on the huge amount of petrol carried. The LD's lost a Spartan and crew in Bosnia due to a secondary igniting the fuel after the Spartan had run over a mine.

bazz.

slightly off thread

that was the main problem with post diesel CVRT, the crews literally sitting on the huge amount of petrol carried. The LD's lost a Spartan and crew in Bosnia due to a secondary igniting the fuel after the Spartan had run over a mine.

bazz.

Is that the one for which they created a memorial by the roadside where it happened, and recently the LD felt it necessary to remove the memorial because of renewed tension and it's now in Leazes Park, Newcastle IIRC, next to HHQ?

Did you mean pre-diesel CVR(T)s? AIUI the Americans actually place diesel tanks all around the ammo store in an Abrams because the diesel doesn't ignite and inhibits secondary detonations of the ammo.