Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know the reason for two types of dashboard arrangement in Explorers? Mine came with a Military looking sealed set of guages etc, but the replacement bulkhead had a civvy looking set-up and all the holes are in a different place on the bulkhead. Mine is contract 7443, but I don't know about the donor. Any ideas? Thanks. Daz :idea:

Was the civvy dash on earlier or later builds, Daz? I guess the MOD were keen to standardise everything, hence use of the military dash in Champ, Martian, Constructor, etc etc.

I would be very surprised if the civvy dash was in the later contract.

Warning: smoking too much Keruing can cause you to end up with an Explorer that looks like this.

2806216936_3f57a30646_b.jpg

Now look young 6 X 6, you leave my mate Amos's Explorer alone, do you have a stainless cab, opening lower windscreens and a davit built into the cab roof for gearbox removal?......................................I thought not!

The rear canvas tilt is only ever seen on top notch Explorers :thumbsup: :-D

His Pioneer (#25 in Pioneer thread) is not hampered by conventional thinking either!

Edited by gritineye

Civvy was in the early contracts 5067, 5820 5924 and 6263

Am I not right in thinking the the very first contract, 3724 had a FV dash? These were the ones with coil ignition, gearbox handbrake and some other differences, possibly a double skinned cab:confused:

Hi.

Mine is one of the first ones from the first contract. it has the standard sealed military dash and switch gear. Also double skinned cab with insulation. heater AND demister, propshaft brake. sprung towing points and it did have coil ignition.

dash clear.jpg

dash small.jpg

His Pioneer is not hampered by conventional thinking either!

Is it the Pioneer with a series 2A ambulance body grafted onto the back ? Does anyone know the Scammell I'm referring to ? I once saw a photograph of this amazing looking vehicle that had been taken at a show and posted somewhere on the net but I've have been unable to find it again.

Now look young 6 X 6, you leave my mate Amos's Explorer alone, do you have a stainless cab, opening lower windscreens and a davit built into the cab roof for gearbox removal?......................................I thought not!

The rear canvas tilt is only ever seen on top notch Explorers :thumbsup: :-D

His Pioneer is not hampered by conventional thinking either!

What's the red cylinder on the chassis for Gritineye? Nitrous oxide :rofl: or something more conventional like a bigger air tank for tyre inflation etc? Have to admit it's a very practical looking vehicle.

We will all have to move to an area where Scammells and their owners can roam free without fear of persecution ! A Scammell utopia where fuel is free, vandals are hung and no one ever needs to overtake ! :-D

You've been smoking that Kerouing too haven't you Andy????:nono::nono::nono:

What's the red cylinder on the chassis for Gritineye? Nitrous oxide :rofl: or something more conventional like a bigger air tank for tyre inflation etc? Have to admit it's a very practical looking vehicle.

Can't be sure Daz, as I ain't seen it for a while, but I suspect it holds extra air for the steering when shunting about a lot at low engine revs, the original compressor can't cope. I had one fitted once and it was very useful, not needed now with the Cummins compressor.

All engineering on Amos's and his dad Mike's Scammells (they've got a few) is high standard stuff.

Edited by gritineye

Am I not right in thinking the the very first contract, 3724 had a FV dash? These were the ones with coil ignition, gearbox handbrake and some other differences, possibly a double skinned cab:confused:

Yes they did but there were layout differences between this contract and later ones using th FV dash. I hadn't gone back far enough in the handbook....such as they had warning light only for gearbox oil pressure, later ones had a gauge...

If it is a RAF Explorer it's probably the Vacuum tank for vacuum braked trailers. RAF Matadors also carried a Vacuum tank, on account of the high number of vacuum braked trailers the RAF ran. (also connected with last post) later RAF Explorers had a vacuum gauge below the Gearbox oil pressure gauge.

Hi - I am new to the site.

I own the Scammell Explorer OSJ 698 Thor - it has been discussed with the wrong Reg (wrong reg no OSJ 693) so thought I would put a quick message on to let you guys know !!:cool2:

If it is a RAF Explorer it's probably the Vacuum tank for vacuum braked trailers. RAF Matadors also carried a Vacuum tank, on account of the high number of vacuum braked trailers the RAF ran. (also connected with last post) later RAF Explorers had a vacuum gauge below the Gearbox oil pressure gauge.

Amos's Explorer is Ex-RAF Mike ! This Ex-RAF one has the same cylinder ! DSC01347.jpg

Edited by AndyFowler

Amos's Explorer is Ex-RAF Mike ! This Ex-RAF one has the same cylinder !

Somewhere on the chassis is a reaction valve that monitors air pressure in the braking system, and opens a proportional valve that allows an inceasing amount of vacuum to two connectors at the rear of the chassis to which the trailer couples. Like RAF Matadors they had a small screw on connector and a larger quick release coupling.

Edited by antarmike