Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few more pics. The first was taken in a Sussex barn when I was collecting spares for mine. How many of you are like me and wish you had the funds and space for a second one. It's a shame to see it just sitting there, although I don't think it was for sale.This one had been rebuilt several years previously and had then sat unused. Still had it's Meadows petrol.

The second lot of pics are of a smart Explorer 'Ark Royal' taken at the Yealmpton agricultural show in Devon a few years ago. I think this one was from the Torpoint area.It had a Cummins engine I think.

I am a little puzzled why an Explorer with a Royal Navy Vehicle number is presented as a REME vehicle... or did it change services at some time???

I am a little puzzled why an Explorer with a Royal Navy Vehicle number is presented as a REME vehicle... or did it change services at some time???

Mike-I think it was featured in one of the Commercial magazines a while back. I may well have it somewhere.When I get a chance I'll try to find out and let you know. I think the owner's name was (Bob?) White. Daz

Mike-I think it was featured in one of the Commercial magazines a while back. I may well have it somewhere.When I get a chance I'll try to find out and let you know. I think the owner's name was (Bob?) White. Daz

looking in an old rally programme which just happens to be part of the junk lyeing around on my desk . of the year 2000 west of england steam rally lists the scammell as be ownd by a .R.WHITE of torpoint

nick

Edited by younggun

Daz, the Explorer gallery index shows another one named Thor, index no. 43, post 84 reg no. OSJ 693 any connection or just coincidence?

I noticed this in the photos. Just coincidence as it's definitely not the same lorry. Mine took it's name from the Antar my dad drove when he was in the Royal Artillery. I don't know if it still survives. Cheers, Daz.

Talking recovery trucks Andy- here's a interesting site:

http://www.cornwallcommercials.co.uk/recovery.html

They have an EKA Crusader and an Explorer. They brought my Explorer from Cambs to Cornwall for a very reasonable charge. You can see it on the low loader being delivered to it's new home. Check out the 'Our fleet' and 'Stories' pages too. I will try to get their Scammells' details sometime.

:-D Daz

Edited by daz76

Hi there.

Don't know if i am posting this in the right place or right way but i am about to remove the engine from my Explorer as the crank and bearings are knackerd. It is currently running the other meadows diesel engine (I think this is the third one I know of with a meadows diesel in it). Any advice on getting the engine out would be very handy. I have got the Explorer manual but any extra tips would be a great help. I have managed to get hold of a petrol engine and hope to swap the crank and bearings into the diesel. Hope they are the same as the diesel is about 20 years older then the petrol one.

cheers

Rob.

hi rob welcome to the forum my explorer has a meadows diesel i curantly have the clutch out of mine but i did not remove the engine to do it so i cant help there but would like to hear how u go about doing it .

here is my exeplorer http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=10485

would love to see some pics of yours rob ?

nick

Edited by younggun

" I have managed to get hold of a petrol engine and hope to swap the crank and bearings into the diesel. Hope they are the same as the diesel is about 20 years older then the petrol one."

I would seroiusly investigate whether the cranks are interchangeable between petrol and Diesel Meadows before you commit to this plan, I don't think it is very likely, has anyone got any experience of advice?

I inherited 4 x meadows parts books with my Mountaineer, they give 2 different crank numbers :-D

Depending on which book you choose, the Meadows part number for a 6DC-630 Mark 10/3 crankshaft is either 6/20S-7 or 6/20S-9. In both cases the main intermediate crank bearing shell number is 49760.

The fact that the engine is a mark 10/3 suggests it might just be possible that over the development there have been some variations in the crank, who can say? Any idea what mark yours is?

The illustrations in both Meadows diesel parts book and the MOD 20T Constructor parts book are identical, but these are 'generic' drawings so that doesn't really help.

What the heck, I'd take a chance and say you'll be ok given the history of the petrol engine design - perhaps someone else can give you a more informed answer :idea:

Let us know how you get on Rob.

Tony

Hi there.

Don't know if i am posting this in the right place or right way but i am about to remove the engine from my Explorer as the crank and bearings are knackerd. It is currently running the other meadows diesel engine (I think this is the third one I know of with a meadows diesel in it). Any advice on getting the engine out would be very handy. I have got the Explorer manual but any extra tips would be a great help. I have managed to get hold of a petrol engine and hope to swap the crank and bearings into the diesel. Hope they are the same as the diesel is about 20 years older then the petrol one.

cheers

Rob.

Rob, if the bottom end is knocking I would check the con rod big ends for ovality and size - they can be re-claimed by a decent engine machine shop.

Removing an Explorer engine is dead easy once you get the rad out of the way, but be prepared for sheared metalastic engine mounts as the bonding has a habit of coming apart.

Mike

The only information i know for sure is the Meadows 6 dc 630 in my explorer was rebuilt in 1950! with 25tho crank grind (so i can't just swap the shells from the petrol)

The petrol engine came out of a much later explorer and was rebuilt in 1960. I have popped the crank out of the petrol and it looks the same as the one shown in the meadows 6 dc 630 engine manual (a lucky find on ebay!) Even the strip down instructions in both the explorer manual and the diesel manual are the same. But there are no timing marks on any of the gears of the petrol. I am know for a fact that the camshafts are different as the valve overlaps are larger on the diesel. So if anyone has converted a petrol to a diesel and not swapped the camshaft it won't pull granny off the pot!

When i drove my explorer up to the house(minus a windscreen mirrors and loosing bits of cab on the way) she hit nearly 30mph (According to my mate following behind in the landrover) in 5th but would not pull top as the control rack in the injector pump was gummed up. now thats free it picks up with a nice BARF!! and the whole engine rocks over on its mounts...... Shame it's buggerd!!

Cheers

Rob

I have already done the metalastic couplings cos my engine mounts were knackerd and they got ripped apart. Got a mould made and had them re rubberd, the bloody mould cost £400 od quid and i can get them re rubberd for about £40. they come out a tiny bit small so i had to hold them gently in a 4 jaw chuck and turn out the shoulders on the aluminium blocks. still £40 each is cheap when you see what people pay for knackerd one off ebay. One of mine looked ok but if you put it in a vice and bent it over it was barely stuck together. When i was turning one on the lathe it popped out and got scrunched round the tool post and squosed between the chuck and bed!! Thought it was curtains but not a mark on it!!

All the best

Rob.

Sorrry forgot to say,

Engine had low oil pressure no knocking at all! Popped the sump off found a main bearing bolt on the filter(doh!) Removed said bearing cap and shell found no white metal and scored crank, removed other caps all the same! Hence crank out ect.

" I have managed to get hold of a petrol engine and hope to swap the crank and bearings into the diesel. Hope they are the same as the diesel is about 20 years older then the petrol one."

I would seroiusly investigate whether the cranks are interchangeable between petrol and Diesel Meadows before you commit to this plan, I don't think it is very likely, has anyone got any experience of advice?

But thinking about it diesel cranks are usually beefier than |etrol, but the Meadows diesel delivers quite a lot less power than the Petrol doesn't it? It might ne the same crank...