What Armour

SPTA team

Question

This maybe a stupid thing to ask but can anyone shed any light of this Armour please? While out on the ranges today we cought up with a whole gang of CVR(T)s and some of them have this type of armour.

width=640 height=444http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r183/plainmilitary/HMFV%20SALISBURY%20PLAIN%20VISIT/CVRT2.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=419http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r183/plainmilitary/HMFV%20SALISBURY%20PLAIN%20VISIT/CVRT3.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=446http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r183/plainmilitary/HMFV%20SALISBURY%20PLAIN%20VISIT/CVRT1.jpg[/img]

These pictures were taken last year and not today.

Im sure its not right but I call it Zelda Armour after the IDF M113 Zelders :dunno:.

Any help would be great as we are going up again some time in the week.

Tony :tup:

17 answers to this question

As far as I know it is to allow the RPG warhead to detonate on the sde of the bin allowing the gap to act as a standoff distance, otherwise the RPG would penetrate the alloy bin and detonate against the main veh armour.

Baz.

There is a far better armour add-on available for CVR(T)s than this that protects the turret and underneath the sponsons. IMCO it hasn't been added as armour - it merely utilises the old bolt-holes for the float-screen to create extra storage to tidy away cam nets so they don't catch in the tracks and stuff that doesn't need to be locked away or kept dry.

It certainly adds to the width of the vehicle. We followed them over Charlie crossing, anyone that came to last years Plain tour will know C crossing and how wide it is. These have about an 6" both sides to get over. Thankfully the two ammo box's are high enought to clear the bridge.

I have some photos of a Mastif which was blown up in Iraq. It made a right mess of the vehicle, engine a few yards away, wheels blown off. But the vehicle works, everyone survived. I don't think I can post the photos though.

Chris

The Mastif has considerable armour plate on the underneath of the vehicle. If its the vehicle I remember reading about it was hit by a IED. A massive Artillery shell buried in the road. There aren't many vehicles out that could possibly escape such devises. As for survivors, well thats anyones guess.

The Mastif has considerable armour plate on the underneath of the vehicle. If its the vehicle I remember reading about it was hit by a IED. A massive Artillery shell buried in the road. There aren't many vehicles out that could possibly escape such devises. As for survivors, well thats anyones guess.

Last year such an IED took the legs off a CR2 driver. Mind five times 155mm rounds chained together would penetrate anything. If it didn't they'd only use more.