Richard Hammond on Bloody Omaha: Timewatch

Maverick

Many thanks for that and will be watching, but........

Why is a 'Englishman' doing something on Omaha?? Hasn't this been done before :dunno: and correct me if I am wrong but I remember reading somewhere that the British also had invasion beaches :whistle: - could we learn something on them???

Just watched it guys and I am not that convinced that they shed any 'new' light on it - the official historian for the 29th Div did say that he thinks the casualties was more than likely 5000.......?

There was an interview with Gary Stearn (who is goingto do a interview for HMVF - met him last year at Maisy) and there was footage in a Higgins Boat in context of Omaha and I sure that it was full off 101st - they had Eagle patches....!

Further info

http://www.open2.net/timewatch/2...omaha.html

Kind regards.

Jack.

I agree with you. Jack nothing new at all. I also noticed the 101st patches. Probably filmed in Devon as the 101st did a stint of training at Braunton in Devon. Maisy battery was interesting, but totally irelevant to the Omaha.

Good CGI though. They only used 3 reenactors to film that.

overall C-, could do better.

Tim (too)

I agree with you. Jack nothing new at all. I also noticed the 101st patches. Probably filmed in Devon as the 101st did a stint of training at Braunton in Devon. Maisy battery was interesting, but totally irelevant to the Omaha.

Good CGI though. They only used 3 reenactors to film that.

overall C-, could do better.

Tim (too)

Tim - I like the Maisy debate, I think it could rewrite history depsite what 'the' others say.........

Blimey I've never heard such a bunch of old bleeting sheep - And Jack your the flipping worse :box: :box:

The Normandy Landings (Ok the American part) has just received a prime-time TV slot on National television, presented by a very popular TV personality - We should not mock :nono:

If by having Richard Hammond present this programme it encourages just half a dozen additional younger generation viewers to watch and listen about the heroic deeds that took place on that beach on that day in history, instead of watching reality TV like Big Brother, then thats good enough for me :-)

Ok, so their wasn't much new detail to come out - but I enjoyed seeing the uncovered bunker at Grandcamp Maisey and I don't need an excuse to listen to WWII Veterans remenisce about their part in the war.

Thumbs up to the BBC for starting the year with a decent programme. (Certainly beats what they put out over the festive period.)

Now back to the DVD recorder to watch Foyle's War which was on at the same time.

Clive D Stevens - BBC Regional East of England - Advisory Council

Alright then, I maybe am a little biase........................

Blimey I've never heard such a bunch of old bleeting sheep - And Jack your the flipping worse :box: :box:

hey - you have to lead from the front!

The Normandy Landings (Ok the American part) has just received a prime-time TV slot on National television, presented by a very popular TV personality - We should not mock :nono:

Ok I am with you there - but Richard Hamond.....come on?!

Ok, so their wasn't much new detail to come out - but I enjoyed seeing the uncovered bunker at Grandcamp Maisey and I don't need an excuse to listen to WWII Veterans remenisce about their part in the war.

Met Gary last year and and spent many hours at Maisy with him studying D-Day maps and he is going to turn the whole debate upside down...........

and there was footage in a Higgins Boat in context of Omaha and I sure that it was full off 101st - they had Eagle patches....!

A lot of 101 airborne troops landed on Utahbeach, the entire seaborne tail (of course) but also part of their glider field artillery and glider troops.

I've recorded it and will watch it later this week, might be able to burn it too after I bought some new DVDs.

After all the promos for the programme - a big let down.

No new evidence and Hammond however good is tainted with the "laddish antics" of Top Gear. The good news as previously mentioned on the forum was the BBC finding time for the subject in its schedules.

Best wishes to all for 2008

I'm with Clive on this one, anything which gets the message out to a new audience has to be a good thing, and if it takes a popular presenter to do it, so be it.

I was moved by the fellow who started to get visibly cut up about been shot in the arm, and was losing a massive amount of blood who felt like he had failed because he couldnt continue to help his mates, and who after 60 years if he just lived one more day that would be good enough for him.....

(This is one of the reasons im personally not into re-enactment i'm not worthy to wear that fellows uniform)

From a historical point of view, i would of liked to have seen more of the german perspective on the battle, maybe have traced more survivors for their account, as it wont be long until they fade away.

All in all, it doesnt really matter if it was about an american beach, i can see why they wanted to look at it, i.e. the high losses compared to other beaches, but they were all out to the same ends, and frankly long may they continue to produce programmes like that!

I'm with Clive on this too. The comment about him being tainted with Top Gear antics is, imho, wide of the mark too; Clarkson is a knob on Top Gear but has done other things well - something about a VC I remember? Also, again imho, Hammond came out of the jaunt to the North Pole as the least spoiled of the three of them...

Not forgetting the British beaches though is bloody important too; a couple of years ago I bought a poppy of a veteran in a beret with a RA cap badge and a row of campaign medals. I asked him about the war and he told me that he was in the water for four hours before he got onto the sand... makes you think eh?

JC

Just watched the podcast on the web as we watched Foyles War instead. One thing that struck me was the total failure to mention the lack of DD tanks on Omaha. I seem to recall a History Channel program /series on D-Day where some RN personnel were interviewed and their views on the US captain(s) who launched the Omaha bound DD's too far out to sea aren't repeatable here.

The program other than that omission was, I thought, pretty good. I don't think Richard Hammond detracted from the message of the program and the closing scenes were very evocative.

It would be nice if a similar program was dedicated to the British/Canadian efforts on D-Day as there seems to be a gradual drift into thinking D-Day was virtually a US only affair.

It would be nice if a similar program was dedicated to the British/Canadian efforts on D-Day as there seems to be a gradual drift into thinking D-Day was virtually a US only affair.

The whole war you mean?

The whole war you mean?

Well you can blame the lack of funding for the British Film industry.

I seem to remember that before "Memphis Belle" was filmed, that they wanted to do a film about Lancaster crews, but were overuled by the people with the bucks, as they wanted it to appeal to the bigger U.S. home market.

It would certainly make a change to see a good modern produced film about Brits giving the hun a good kicking!

Well you can blame the lack of funding for the British Film industry.

I seem to remember that before "Memphis Belle" was filmed, that they wanted to do a film about Lancaster crews, but were overuled by the people with the bucks, as they wanted it to appeal to the bigger U.S. home market.

There was also a lack of Lancasters!!! I don't believe the Canadians were prepared to fly their aircraft to the UK at the time. It had only been airworthy for one year after a lengthy restoration. That would still have only made two aircraft if the BBMF had joined in, and this was in the days before CGI.

There are rumors that the Canadian Lanc is coming to the UK in 2008, and if it happens, it will be the first time there have been two airworthy Lancs in the UK for a long time. Let's hope it happens and that they fly together.

Steve

Calm down Clive, its only a proggrame! :dunno: Your right if it encourages questions from youngsters that gives us a chance to explain in more depth, it will have served some purpoe. Rather like clarkson going on how he 'Discovered' the story of the raid on St Nazaire, sorry you P**** some of us knew all about it when we were 10 years old. Its called reading books.

Thanks for the update!

Edit: people are always talking about Bloody Omaha but they could be talking about Bloody Juno too.

Aprox 2000 casualties Omaha

Aprox 1200 casualties at Juno

http://warchronicle.com/numbers/WWII/ddaycasualtyest.htm

Same problem on both beaches Joris, no armoured support, although for different reasons.