Toyota hilux surf 4runner

hardyferret

Had one of the very first UK issue 4Runners for 3 years. Reliable motor :tup:

Wish I'd kept it!!!!!! At the very least I should have put a pickup body onto it :whistle:

Although it is essentially a pickup chassis with the independent front suspension, it is nicely weighted and the 3 litre engine is a beauty, slight wallow in tight bends but holds road well. Brilliant towing truck. Nice transmission. Solid qualityfeel to the body and interior (UK spec was maybe better spec cloth??

Sliding tailgate window is gimmick, in wet weather sucks in water, in dry sucks in dust. But the vehicle is great with a sunroof :-)

Assume the import Surf is identical engine :dunno:

To sum up, a Hilux with attitude and comfort :-)

I've got an automatic 3ltr Diesel Surf 1994. Had it for 4 years now. Fantastic motor. The cylinder head cracked on me 2 years ago, but since I put the new one in had no problems. Apparently the 2.4ltr diesels were renowned for the heads cracking, but its not so common on the 3ltrs.

As already said great for towing, I use it tow and launch/recover a 7m RIB. Nice to drive, very smooth ride. Huge internal space, and the back seats fold down flat (I sleep in the back of it when I am away at shows with no problems and I'm 6'). The imports tend to have a better spec than the UK 4 runners, but finding a manual transmission import is alot harder and can add £500-£1000 on the price. Also an option to have the spare wheel slung underneath or on the back door. Doesn't make much difference, but I do find that on some trailers the jockey wheel can hit the spare tyre on turns.

Great motors, very pleased with it and would not hesitate to buy another :tup:.

I had a Toyota Hilux for many years when I was a woodsman - after owning 4 Land Rovers this made them look like they were going backwards. I worked that truck hard and then once I had worn it out I sold it for £500.

It was the best 4x4 I have owned - even better than the V8 Range Rover :whistle:

The pickups are good motors, dad had one for years, filled to capacity with rocks and wood and driven offroad most days, never a moments problem. I have also heard that the 3.0 diesel Surf is the one to get.

Looked at one prior to getting the Shogun (Which is fantastic!!)

Geting this back to a HMVF orientated topic, I talked with an importer 3 years ago about getting a 3 litre extra cab Hilux, one of a very large consignment confiscated by Spanish authorities from a vehicle ferry ship, en route to a middle eastern destination for use as gun trucks!! The thought of paying money up front and travelling to Barcelona to collect it was enough to put me off.......

I set out to buy a 'nice' 4x4 a few years ago and test drove a Surf. I thought it was like an agricultural vehicle compared to the Isuzu Trooper I eventually got.

Of course, I now drive a Land Rover Defender but wouldn't want something 'nice' anymore - the byeways of this fair land tend to punish your paintwork!

We refer to them as the "Taliban Taxi".. ;-)

:-D I like that :-D

After do many helpfull comments from those 'in the know' it looks like I'm in for a change of transport. Not sure how that will look at shows when it turns up as support to whatever himself is driving :|

Will be sad to sell my little Daihatsu Sportrak as their is nothing wrong with it, it goes anywhere and its cheap to run.................................... but if he wants to spend his money, who am I to deny him the pleasure.

P.S. The offending beast is Pillarbox Red :schocked:

When they were being grey imported secondhand from from japan in quantity some years ago. I was considering one and a quite friendly importer told me that If they come straight from japan secondhand he always took the rad off and flushed the whole system or fitted a new radiator . Apparently at that time they would sit for months in japan waiting to have enough vehicles to make the import viable and during this time the sludge in the cooling system would settle in the radiator.

If they were then sold in the UK without the cooling system flush etc they would eventually overheat if worked hard and pop the head gasket. Otherwise they are vitually indestructible.

good luck

Centurion