Accesory Plugs

HI All

Does anyone know where I can get the plugs and sockets that they have in the dash of landrovers please, I want to install a set so I can connect them to the battery and charge it without having to undo the cover.

Any ideas anyone.

Thanks

Would these be OK for charging the battery through :dunno: i.e. amps etc.

Mark,

I am not really sure that the wiring to these sockets is heavy enough for a charger unless it is only on a low trickle charge. Better to fit a discreet heavier socket near the battery box and wired direct to the batteries. The dash sockets were only designed for the little wander lamp, bulb was no more than 10 watts I think.

Richard

Realy all most battery chargers give out is about 4 amp max, so not a lot of power. 4 x 12 = 48 watt nominal. Even allowing a max voltage output of 13.6 still only gives 54 watts. So if the you use the same gauge wiring as you'd use on headlights, the sockets themselves are mostly 240v rated so will take the power. For trickle purposes a Solar Charger is a very cost effective investment. About £24-30 and nil running cost.

Are you looking at the back of a Jimmy? And to clarify are you working on 12 volt? The room is there so park on top of some ICED up Astax yob box, then while its pinned nick the split charger :evil: (This is not theft it is a service to the community as it will blow up all the amplifiers). Add this to the charging circuit and get a Recreational (Caravan) battery so that your domestic wiring is completly isolated from the vehicle circuit. Screwfix do a magic little 150 watt inverter for about £30, that will let you run computers, TV etc from the domestic circuit. It also means you can self jump start. As for the main battery a Solar charger through a discreet lighter socket would keep that battery up. The split charger also isolates the domestic side so you don't flatten the engine starter by mistake. A seperate fuse box is also advisable. The circuit is not difficult, a trip to a scrapyard for a caravan wiring box would give you most of it in one go. If the body is a hard type, have a look about about for an Esperbacher Heater, then you can have central heating as well.

Richard I have not fitted or got them yet, the wire would be my choice probably 2.5 which should be enough for a cgarger, would the sockets be man enough though.

Sorry Mark, you mentioned Land Rover intially and I assumed you wanted to replace existing sockets. This is why I questioned the wiring, now I see that you are intending to wire them in the GMC body, you can use the size of cable to suit your use. If you were going to use a heavier charger with "boost start" facility, then I would use a heavy socket wired close to the battery, with cables equal to the chargers ones.

Richard

OK I have this

width=640 height=480http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/MEasterby-Wood/CIMG0462.jpg[/img]

and I have a power supply socket at the back for all my needs from a genny or house, this supplies all my needs as in lights etc. to charge my battery I have to remove a cover and then run a lead (may be raining) to charge it, if I install the plug and socket as above I can then charge from inside the back end, the power cable to the truck is waterproof when on site/shows, whilst on this supply or at home I can plug in the charger and sort the battery out.

Does THIS make sense. :-D

OK I have this

, if I install the plug and socket as above I can then charge from inside the back end, the power cable to the truck is waterproof when on site/shows, whilst on this supply or at home I can plug in the charger and sort the battery out.

Does THIS make sense. :-D

Mark,

It makes perfect sense. Assume the battery is behind the cab or near to it, as most GMC's. I would fit the socket within the body close to the battery location, so as to keep the cable length to the minimum and would personally fit a socket which is foolproof in its connection, ie, like those that are called DIN plugs and sockets, which are rated at 16 amp, 12 volts ( check out Auto Electric Supplies catalogue ). There would be no chance of reversed connections that way.

Richard

The battery is located on the right hand side and I am intending to install in the back close to that point, I will use 2.5 cable which should be ample for a charger and a "plug/socket" within, also this plug/socket will supply low voltage lighting in the event of no genny supply, but primarily it will be for using it to charge the battery.

Why not ?? the plug/sockets should be ablr to take the supply, yes!!

Hello Mark Have you made any interesting discoveries since you have gotten the GMC home ? or has it been to bad weather to give it a through going over ???

Is the rear body interior paneled or finished in any special way ? is it quiet inside when parked or does it magnify sounds?

Mark, have you thought of permanently wiring a charger into circuit and then just plugging the power lead in when you want it?

What just a normal battery charger, that is what I would like to do, or is there another type of charger around?

There are several types, depending on how many bells and whistles you want. See the ads, if you want a boost start from flat one they are huge great expensive things. If you just want plain vanilla they can run from a tenner up. This could be fixed out of sight the mains lead wired to input socket of your main supplies through a RCD or thermal switch, this will protect the system if you try to start while the charger is on. There are Marine Caravan units that run on 240v, 110v from mains or generator. These also auto cut out if you try to start when the charger is on. I've got to admit, I use either the chore horse now or 5 minutes on my little generator 12 volt output. Seeing as these can be got for about £70 stupid not to have one.

2W Sunsei SE-135 Solar Trickle Chargers

The Sunsei 135 is a 2W solar powered car battery maintainer that will trickle charge a 12V battery. Ideal for cars, small boats, tractors and other vehicles. Please note as with all solar vehicle chargers to charge via the cigarette lighter …

[ More Product Information | Enquire Now ]

Contact to

obtain full details

6W Sunsei SE-400 Solar Chargers

Larger vehicles such as pick-ups vans RVs or small boats have larger batteries and larger battery drains simply because they have more electronics. The Sunsei 400 solar battery charger slowly charges larger 12V deep-cycle batteries helping to …

[ More Product Information | Enquire Now ]

Quick search found these. Mine works even in poor light, so fix on roof with relay as soon as engine off, charger on.