CVR(T) on Ebay

Nick Johns

It doesn't only look like a Spartan, it is a Spartan and the advert states this.

As for Jaguar engines being plentiful, have you tried to buy one which works?! True there were a lot of take outs, but 99% of them have something wrong with them. I have had 10 J60 engines, only 1 of them had nothing wrong with it. The rest have ranged from missing components, broken mountings & head gasket failures to holes in pistons and total seizures.

Chris

My big brother was involved with the conversion to Diesel for CVRT, reliably informed as vehs became VOR due to engine failures they were left until they were converted, so a lot of engines taken out of the converted vehs were U/S.

Baz.

It doesn't only look like a Spartan, it is a Spartan and the advert states this.

As for Jaguar engines being plentiful, have you tried to buy one which works?! True there were a lot of take outs, but 99% of them have something wrong with them. I have had 10 J60 engines, only 1 of them had nothing wrong with it. The rest have ranged from missing components, broken mountings & head gasket failures to holes in pistons and total seizures.

Chris

Sorry didnt read all the add.Just looked at the pic and posted.Regarding engines.Wouldnt it be feasible to buy one from a jag breakers and use the internals.I would imagine that the cam,and oil pump would be different.But the rest would be the same wouldnt it?

I did look into buying an engine from a scrap Jag, but there are quite a lot of detail differences. I think you could put one in there, and it would run ok, but I don't know how long it would last. The compression ratios etc would all be different. Most people who own CVRTs have a few spare engines as you can't tell when and if they're going to go. It's usually possible to make a good one out of a couple of take outs, if you have the time.

Chris

I can remember one time in Germany late 70's , early 80's there was such a shortage of CVRT engines that unit LADs were used to strip down and cannablise U/S engines and rebuild them. At one stage the Sqn hangers looked like a breakers yard, this was the same period as Aliens bent barrel on a schimitar report, in fact it happened about 6 feet from me.

Baz.

The Jag car engine can be made to work. Pete was running one in his Samson at W&P this year. Some ancilleries are different and breathers but theses can be swapped off the dead lump. The other thing is timing and advance is different but if i remember correctly this can be sorted removing metal from the dizzy body to allow it to be turned more.

Jon.

The Jag car engine can be made to work. Pete was running one in his Samson at W&P this year. Some ancilleries are different and breathers but theses can be swapped off the dead lump. The other thing is timing and advance is different but if i remember correctly this can be sorted removing metal from the dizzy body to allow it to be turned more.

Jon.

You can remove the distributor drive flange from a dead J60, make an aligning tool then drill and tap a hole in the civvy block to take the military distributor. Worked for us. Our block was from a fire engine so had the same internals as a CVRT spec engine.

A car engine has various internal differences (i'm told). Apparently the military bores are slightly oversized as it runs hotter than the car engine, and the valves are different.

The tracks have rubber pads on them so that it is road friendly. Top speed is in the region of 50mph and is exhilarating to say the least. The ride is superb even across rough ground and it soaks up the bumps very well.

You're telling me! In 1981 15/19H went out on a recce exercise with 9/12L as the enemy. Surveillance Troops in their Spartans with ZB298 Ground Surveillance Radar did not deploy. One of our Scorpions was on its last leg and immediately after the exercise was to be replaced and sent to be Scorpoled. (The modification programme for Chieftain was called Bargepole, whereby individual tanks were taken out of service overhauled (essentially rebuilt) with all the latest modifications applied. When the process was applied to Scorpions, it was Scorpole). The new Scorpion had arrived but not yet been brought into use.

On the same day, Chalky, the commander, took ill and was CasEvaced and his Scorpion died. His replacement not yet being available, Surveillance Troop kindly lent us a Spartan. As designated second-line commander, I swapped places with Chalky's gunner and we made do with a crew of two, commander and driver, for the duration.

At some point during the exercise, the Spartan broke down. We were sat by the side of a winding country road for hours awaiting REME assistance. By the time we were mobile again, the battle had moved miles ahead of us. I hadn't had a real drive of a CVR(T) since 1976 when I took my driving test apart from moving in and out of hangars.

I had a superb drive. My driver / commander could not say the same. He now knew what his commander meant when he had a go at him for driving aggressively: I had given him a good lesson in aggressive driving.

Great drive. Nearly as good as a Ferret.