Military Mini.

Tony B

No - you're dead right . 2CV pick ups developed for use by the Royal Marines by Major John Chatfield ( the man who also developed the Snow Trac for use by the RM ) - as some of the first airportable vehicles - slung under helicopters. One 2CV was on board Bulwark and used on board & on shore as & when needed . Think there were about 6 prototypes - none have survived - Philip Chatfield looked into the subject quite exhaustively a couple of years ago. There is a book which commemorates Bulwarks tour of the Mediterranean & contains a couple of pictures of the 2CV both on board & in the helicopter trials .(Sorry - can't remember the title & I don't have a copy)

Classic Military Vehicles and Military Machines International have both had articles on the 2CV. Philip Chatfield wrote the article for CMV about his fathers experiences with the 2CV.

Getting back to Mini's I've seen articles about the 'military' Mini Moke in one of the Mini mags plus the Aussie version. Seem to remember that the Aussie version was a replica I'll have a look over the weekend. From memory the Moke wasn't taken up because it lacked four wheel drive and the two engined version there was difficulty in synchronising the engines for gear changes and the like. Portugal was the last country to build the Moke into the eighties I think. Moke production in the UK stopped in the late sixties easly seventies wonder why ahem couldn't have been the sunny weather in this country could it!

Scrapyard challenge a few years back had a twin engined taxi which had to be driven to the events but only one engine was allowed to be used on the highway illegal to use both so they said. Taxi won the series / show.

Andy

I remember the 2CV article, there was also one at Beltring one year in military markings, and i believe a 2 engine version. I was posh I had the Renault 4 :angel: that had a bolt on 4x4 attachment. The little thing was actually phenomenal off road and the vans could carry 9 or 11 cwt about 50% more than it's English rivals.

I remember the 2CV article, there was also one at Beltring one year in military markings, and i believe a 2 engine version. I was posh I had the Renault 4 :angel: that had a bolt on 4x4 attachment. The little thing was actually phenomenal off road and the vans could carry 9 or 11 cwt about 50% more than it's English rivals.

:roll: after posting my bit, I looke through both CMV/MMI and W&T's and found said articles,............ :whistle:

Renault 4's,...............I had a van version, only 2wd, but even so, could traverse some quite snotty ground,...limited by depth of ruts, etc,....mud needed a run up and foot down, approach............ ;-)

Oh Yes :-D I used to have one of those Reno 4 vans and used to go hunting in it twice a week. Regularly followed the Portman Hounds, and South Dorset on occasion, over all kinds of country - and was always there at the end. They where so capable and cheep to run. :-D

I certainly could not afford a 4 x 4 in those days. :cry: