XXX Corp 2024

Scammell4199

Afternoon all.

Thought i'd start a thread here for anyone going on XXX Corp 2024 to meet up.

Its my first time on this event and i'm taking our Scammell Pioneer SV/2S.

I wondered if those who have been before could give a bit of info on a couple of queries i had:

- Are any showering facilities made available?

- What is the expectation regarding clothing? Are we expected to be in full on period dress for the period at Lommel before setting off on the convoy? 

- What is the expectation regarding tenting. Would my US small wall tent be acceptable?

Thanks. Richard

• Like 1

Great idea, there is a group of us headed over from Guernsey for this event, a few I know have participated before and have said some areas are hard standing so the modern 9x9 tents fair better, this year is new locations however so I am not sure exactly what the areas of going static are. 

evening richard 

there are usually very good washing facilities at the big camping areas but other wise it's fend for your self but it's not to bad. in 2019 we did camp in town some times so you want to be able to hang either a 9x9 or a canvas from the side of the scammell and tie on to another vehicle etc. the 1st 4 nights me and jason just slept under the rogers which is how it would have been done sometimes. but the tenting thing isn't restricted long as it's green really and fits in and not a modern pop up tent if you know what i mean.

uniform wise there only serious on it ounce the 1st day of the tour actually begins, ounce parked up for the day you can change out but we found ounce your in uniform you kinda automatically stay in it.

we also found when you stop in towns during the day or at the end there's always little shops to run into to get fresh food every day or at least every other day. plus they do crate exchanges on the beer so you buy the 1st full crate then there after you take the crate in with the empties and the next one is like 1/2 the price. so safe to say me and jason were regularly on the boil 

regards sam

34 minutes ago, 67burwood said:

Hi Richard 

Its a first for me as well, I’m not part of a group that’s going, just myself and my son, it would be good to get to know other people to the same boat. 

Regards Seamus

Hi mate, there are 4 of us going. We've got a Bedford MW and a Chevy F15. Be good to see you again. 

• Like 1

Hi Richard, 

All being well I am taking my Bedford full cab MW in convoy with a friend and  his aero screen Bedford MW on the XXX Corps run this September. 

From my memories of the 2019 event, I seem to remember full shower facilities were only available at 3 locations, the first marshalling location at Valkenswaard,  another at the American landing Zone outside of Nijmegen (after a number of days driving and washing in a bucket this was very welcome ) and one at the final marshalling yard south off Arnhem.  

At all overnight stops there had good and very clean toilet facilities,  limited hot food usually burger vans or something similar. We took a petrol cooker and made our own food each night. As had been mentioned with the numerous stops  for town events, there are plenty of opportunities to grab some fresh food which we used to supplement a selection of tinned stews we brought with us. At most of the towns they laid on a bit of lunch and made us feel so welcome.

As for uniform, everyone was in uniform for the whole period, but it relaxed for the evenings.                                                          We all went in battle dress, marked up as the 11th bridging unit RE, we took boots, gaiters, collarless shirts, tin hats and battle dress.  But tbh most guys were in overalls and unbadged, but everyone made an effort to stay in uniform and it was pretty impressive to see. Days were very hot, but the nights were very cold at times so bring a jumper or two.  lol

The biggest thing we took away from it, was that some of the days are really long, 5am starts and not pulling into a lager point until 9 or 10pm. then it was set up camp, eat and getting your head down for the night work. so the key is work out how to get up your sleeping arrangements fast and make it simple. 

For us we put our Bedford's back to back, put some scaffold boards between the two open tail gates and lashed a tarp over the top, this gave us a way to camp without the need for pegs into the ground. we could do this in 10mins by the end.

Hope this helps I am no means experienced at tours, 2019 was my first so if anyone has any other advice that would be brilliant, and  I look forward to seeing you all there!

Alan 

hmvf1.jpg.d1adb5d3e8d7b5986c8a14d1fd020ba1.jpg