Humber 1 Ton Truck

Scammelleka

Just bought a Humber 1 Ton truck. The only identification plate is a small rectangular plate on the engine side of the bulkhead. There is a ‘C’ etched into the plate at the top and stamped underneath is 3619 and the what appears to be WT. There is no sign of the larger brass plate on the vehicle. 

I believe the 1 Ton Humbers were in the ‘BK’ series of ERM’s and having looked at other Humbers, the digits appear to relate to the last 4 digits of the chassis number… so in my case 36BK19?

Does anyone have any ideas? There’s nothing for 36BK19 when searching on the RLC’s website.

Cheers

Steve

Steve 36 BK 19 was a Humber Wireless Light FV1604 struck off on 13/8/68 & sold at Ruddington Sale No.99 Lot No.945 on 27/2/69 for £50.

There should be 3 plates one for the chassis, one for the engine & a small one for the body & I suspect that is the one you have found. Can you post a picture of it?

If you tell me the engine serial number I can tell you to which vehicle it was originally fitted.

Yes, I believe it will be the body plate. Struggling with the engine number as the engine and gearbox were removed before I purchased it. 
The V5C has the engine number recorded as 9099, although I don’t know how accurate this will be. I believe it was a B60 taken out… not doubt for spares for a pig. 
I’ll take a picture of the body plate later.

Cheers 

Steve

I agree it is very tempting to assume that the number could be constructed to give the ERM. But the picture below shows that there is no such relationship as there are only three digits, none of which tally with the body contract plate. 

So is yours actually a FV1604 or a 1601 or 1602 ?

DSCF1260a.JPG.b78a442b34bc327ebe835e1f01a3d698.JPG

DSCF1261a.thumb.JPG.2126c302c84a1ae83059b054eb3bbdeb.JPG

I have nothing else to go on. It is just a chassis cab and has previous had a recovery jib fitted in civilian life, but the fact there is no rear tub makes me think it will have had a radio body n the back originally. I take your point for the 3 digit body number, but would that have been 06 BK 83?

3 hours ago, Scammelleka said:

I take your point for the 3 digit body number, but would that have been 06 BK 83?

06 BK 83 was a Humber Pig struck off in BAOR.

Although I have never identified a chassis stamping myself, I have told they were sometimes seen on the chassis upper surface as you peer down on the near side in the vicinity of the chassis plate that is on the vertical side.

I have quite a few pictures of Humbers converted into breakdown trucks most were CT/GS rather than HWL. What is the civilian registration of yours or what is the colour scheme?

I don't know when these shots were taken.

Is there anything of the crane left? I have some rear shots of quite a range of cranes fitted that might help identify the BK ERM.

My FV1601 was a breakdown jobbie that I raided for spares to keep my other 3 Humbers running, although GS/CT gearboxes are not the same as Pig gearboxes.

Q545CPFa.thumb.jpg.388cb97f264a1581b9bfe320655b40e1.jpg

Q545CPFb.thumb.jpg.11ef1f9ea08c15400b64f8cb664fb5f3.jpgQ545CPFc.thumb.jpg.ef93d56f3e026e03cad11b833aed7518.jpg

In Australia with the Citizens Military Force (CMF) part time army .  Wireless set is a W.S. 62 mk2 made by PYE Victoria in 1955/56 a obsolete WW2 set put into production again.

More pics

https://victoriancollections.net.au/items/5b7221f421ea670f609a25d4

https://victoriancollections.net.au/items/5e5483c921ea671378c52351

https://victoriancollections.net.au/items/5e5481bd21ea671378bf1c30

VictorianCollections-large (20).jpg

Edited by goanna
  • Thanks 1