Norton h 18 Spanish Civil War.

juan carlos rodriguez

Fantastic, thank you very much, it is the first concrete data of my motorcycle verified.
It seems that we found a survivor. I found her in very bad condition, logically after overcoming a conflict and the following years. but the important thing, she has it. The rest of the things will appear little by little.

I'll look in that area again, today I haven't seen anything, but I didn't know exactly where to look either.
Thank you very much for the help.

These surviving motorcycles, at the end of the war, many of them were given a telescopic fork to "rejuvenate" them. The rear chassis was also cut to fit some vertical shock absorbers. In fact, before finding my motorcycle, I visited another one that I discarded due to having the chassis cut. I was young and it seemed too challenging for me to repair that mess. Today if I would dare.
My Norton has been with me for about 30 years, during this time I have bought several things (headlamp, tank, toolbox, etc...) and the time has come to recover it and enjoy it. It's my retirement present.

I know another one with those typical characteristics (telescopic fork and rigid chassis with suspension) I'll take some photos and show them to you.

EStas motos supervivientes, al acabar la guerra, a muchas de ellas se les adoptaba una horquilla telescopica para " rejuvenecerlas ". TAmbien se les cortaba el chasis trasero para acoplar unos amortiguadores verticales.. De hecho, antes de encontrar mi moto, visite otra  que deseche por tener el chasis cortado. Era joven y me parecio demasiado reto para mi reparar ese desaguisado.  Hoy si me atreveria.
Mi Norton lleva conmigo unos 30 años, en este tiempo he ido comprado varias cosas ( faro, deposito, caja de herramientas, etc...)y ha llegado el momento de recuperarla y disfrutarla. ES mi regalo de jubilacion..

Conozco otra  con esas caracteristicas tipicas ( horquilla telescopica y chasis rigido con suspension) le hare unas fotos y se las  mostrare. 

• Like 1

Would it be possible to see some more photos of your front forks ? The 1937 Model 18 would normally have a front brake on the left. Your forks, if Norton are either from 1939 or possibly from a sports model. There should be a number on the front cross-tube.

I'm not sure that all of your rear frame is original. Certainly the gussets aren't.

28 minutes ago, 79x100 said:

¿Sería posible ver más fotos de sus horquillas delanteras? El Model 18 de 1937 normalmente tendría un freno delantero a la izquierda. Tus horquillas, si Norton son de 1939 o posiblemente de un modelo deportivo. Debe haber un número en el tubo transversal delantero.

No estoy seguro de que toda su estructura trasera sea original. Ciertamente los refuerzos no lo son.

The rear structure of the chassis???

I am fully aware that my fork is not original. These days I have been considering buying an original (Ebay India) with an impressive appearance, identical to the originals. Unfortunately, looking for some information I have read that they are copies currently made through foundries. Poor quality and even dangerous. They even talk about replicating (in the foundry) the lubricators, so when you get the fork home, you find that what you thought was a lubricator is actually your piece of casting. Also the main tubes are not really tubes, they are solid casting. This fork is fine for an exposed bike, but not for performance.

You have the Norton side links...is the girder a Webb (from which Norton forks were derived) ? It may not be English, of course...There is no way that I would ride a motorcycle with the untested Indian forks. The manufacturer doesn't even put his name to them.

Having dropped a 16H onto its nose a couple of times and had the girders bouncing up and down as well as off the bump-stops, I'd want high-tensile on the front. Norton forks were race-proven.

• 2 weeks later...