Advice needed

aikmanmosquito

Is there anyone on here who is located in the central Scotland area and is very knowledgeable about Willys MBs? I had my Jeep restored by a company in England who at this moment shall remain nameless, I've had it home around 20 weeks, to cut a long story short I asked the company to essentially restore the chassis, tub and mechanicals, make a rusted wreck into a running jeep, and I'd finish it off seats and all brackets etc. It's been home since early April, and I'm finding so many thing wrong with it, due to what I'd term shoddy workmanship. I'd like someone to look it over to give me an expert opinion of how bad the restoration is. 

When you contacted this [ restorer ] did you give a written instruction of the work you required or did he give you one. if the work as you say is not up to the  standard you expected have you  contacted the restorer to express your disappointment. As a  last resort you could employ a independent engineer to inspect the problems you have  found. Sadly these people do pop up  from time to time and often give the impression of having the skills to do the work to a high standard.

I didn't give him anything in writing, but we did discuss what I wanted done. The finished Jeep is not what I had expected from this company as they seemed to have a good reputation. The issues with the body work and paint I was happy to rectify myself and to this end the restorer gave me paint free of charge to do so, but in this past week the Jeep has developed mechanical issues in items that were apparently reconditioned, and I do not feel that I should have to pay more money to repair items that I have already paid for. It was not a cheap restoration, and the finished Jeep is a disgrace. I am very close to selling it as I am so disheartened. 

I am sorry to hear this it not up to you to rectify any of the problems you have paid for a service and in your opinion have not received it any reputable company should do the upmost to rectify valid complaints. Over the years l have been asked to inspect military vehicles for a number of reasons for the police  insurance companies as well  as solicitors acting for disgruntled clients with such problems as you have indicated .  In a number case's both parties have come to a amicable arrangement with out the need to go to court go back to the restorer and make it clear you are not HAPPY with  jeep and what you would like done to rectify this unhappy state of affairs

Edited by wally dugan

Very tricky one, probably worth taking photos and sticking them on here that way you will get advice from people all over the UK. Jeeps are probably the most restored military vehicle so there is a wealth of knowledge available, also what mechanical issues developed ? you have to remember they are up to 82 years old and even a reconditioned part may fail but if the overall restoration was shoddy then it's not a good sign.

It's not even done a mile since it was returned to me and already i've had issues with the starter, it appears that the restorer has left off one or two crucial grounding straps, and those that are present are clearly second hand and past it. I'm not sure if I am allowed to mention who it was on here?

But to give you an idea. I sent down parts I'd collected for the restoration, I strongly believe that some of them were swapped for inferior parts, new panels have been poorly welded together with no attempt to grind down welds, there are paint runs all over the jeep, handbrake isn't working, oil leaks everywhere, now I know Jeeps leak, but it's apparently had a full engine rebuild, I was charged £2000 for a poor second hand block when new ones can be purchased for that price. Paint overspray everywhere, bolts loose, no clamps or seals on carb air horn, grill welt coming off, in fact some of it fell off, areas of chassis with primer showing, bad metal not cut out, just welded over, rear seat mounts have been cut by grinder when restorer was cutting out rear floor and not been rectified, plus also discovered that although I supplied good quality hat channels with wood inserts, the restorer has left the wood inserts out. There just so many problems, and after having spent just over £21000 I had expected a slightly more professional finish than this. 

well  after investing that amount of money l do not think l would be hanging around if it is as bad as that l would be doing more than asking for advice . l known there are cowboys out there and l have met some of them l would not trust to work on a wheel barrow the one used on  building sites. And like others l could list them

Edited by wally dugan
delete a word