CVR(T), FV103 Diesel Spartan Bowman, 01 FF 46

Mars

Good Evening Everyone,

Earlier this year I purchased my first CVR(T) from Tanks-A-Lot! in the UK.

20220730_113613.thumb.jpg.2c80ff6452e9c451c2962d26dfaabf94.jpgIMG-20220801-WA0008.thumb.jpg.41a4b153a228008878973f78fa5e0352.jpgIMG-20220801-WA0011.thumb.jpg.b6b9dba3ae59bba1ee8d1c647a1ed00d.jpg

20220811_215411.thumb.jpg.4236803881cca739b065c579defdd75f.jpg

20220811_215427.thumb.jpg.41aee3cb7ab0dcaf3c7e6eb78c9d6bc5.jpg

IMG-20220805-WA0003.thumb.jpg.7d422a953c5eb843ac579f0397915099.jpg

The engine was from a Spartan that participated in Op Granby in Desert Storm.

Obviously, that Spartan had a petrol engine at the time.

https://merlinarchive.uk/vehicle/01FF13

20220811_215603.thumb.jpg.4c0e697314bd5dabaa759e51ac7ad793.jpg

The last unit it was assigned to was the 38 Seringapatam:

https://www.forces.net/services/army/royal-artillery-bids-farewell-centuries-old-unit

I'd love to hear from any veterans that from the unit, or anyone that may have photos, or additional history.

Apparently the cargo box took fire in a few separate instances.

20220816_214235.thumb.jpg.8a3ebf76e3cf8b10c457f06afe0e57f6.jpg

From my researched it appears this Spartan was in the lot of rebuilds before the Scimitar Mk. 2s.

IMG-20220805-WA0008.thumb.jpeg.a0b283d7746ac8d7f918145563bb3f6d.jpeg

Let me know if you guys have any questions, or observations.

IMG-20220730-WA0001.jpg

I doubt that the cargo box took any fire other than from someone with a drill. The rear mudguards are often smashed as they are quite fragile. The row of countersunk bolts on the gearbox mount is a standard repair.

9 hours ago, sirhc said:

I doubt that the cargo box took any fire other than from someone with a drill. The rear mudguards are often smashed as they are quite fragile. The row of countersunk bolts on the gearbox mount is a standard repair.

Hahaha, I actually broke the mudguard the day we unloaded it. I got a log wedged in the tracks crossing a drainage ditch testing it out.

I'll get photos of the log. I found the first piece of the broken mudguard in the field yesterday.

I was thinking the same about the cargo box, but there is perforations coming from inside and outside. Some are 5.56 and some are 7.62. I'll find some more of the in depth pictures I took of it.

• 3 weeks later...

When they introduced the the changes on the front of the hull we where told it was a armour upgrade along with stronger heavier deck hatch’s with plates on the side hull between tracks and extra under hull for mines but to be fare the mines ripped these apart so sand bags where added older sabres are thinner slightly armoured.

9 hours ago, Messier4715 said:

When they introduced the the changes on the front of the hull we where told it was a armour upgrade along with stronger heavier deck hatch’s with plates on the side hull between tracks and extra under hull for mines but to be fare the mines ripped these apart so sand bags where added older sabres are thinner slightly armoured.

It does appear additional armor plates are attached along the bottom with those bolts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 5:08 PM, sirhc said:

There are thousands of pages of manuals for CVR(T)s. Here is a good place to start:

https://www.greenmachinesurplus.com/cvrt-cvrw-63-c.asp

When were the planes off the side of the hull get added?

I saw in the Op Granby photos they are on the hulls. I take it they are for deflecting fragmentation and other attachments from the holes.

20220811_215314.jpg

10 minutes ago, sirhc said:

They were for wading screens and mostly cut off when vehicles were base overhauled in the 90s.

They are nothing to do with deflecting fragmentation, they are quite flimsy and easily damaged.

CA1820D3-0684-4638-924D-77D27FD4D852.jpeg

Oh, Ok.

Is there any particular callout for the configurations that would help with identifying the standard equipment?

Edited by Mars

3 minutes ago, Mars said:

Oh, Ok.

Is there any particular callout for the configurations that would help with identifying the standard equipment?

Not sure what you mean? The CES list will tell you what tools and equipment was issued with each vehicle. 

1 minute ago, sirhc said:

Not sure what you mean? The CES list will tell you what tools and equipment was issued with each vehicle. 

The CES list is what I am meaning.

I am not familiar with it. What is the CES list?

Thank You for helping educate me on this.

• 5 months later...

Lovely Spartan you have got there, that must have been just before they started shipping them in bulk to Ukraine.

Yours got the Bowman comms "upgrade".  It's unlikely they will release the Bowman parts any time soon and even less likely you would be able to make the system work should you find the bits, so if you want a project that would make life more comfortable for commander and crew, it might be worth pulling some of the BOWMAN bits and remounting the original Clansman system for intercoms and such.

On 2/26/2023 at 10:28 PM, teletech said:

Lovely Spartan you have got there, that must have been just before they started shipping them in bulk to Ukraine.

Yours got the Bowman comms "upgrade".  It's unlikely they will release the Bowman parts any time soon and even less likely you would be able to make the system work should you find the bits, so if you want a project that would make life more comfortable for commander and crew, it might be worth pulling some of the BOWMAN bits and remounting the original Clansman system for intercoms and such.

I did acquire a Clansman system that I need to install after I remove the rest of the old radio wiring.

I believe it was 1-2 weeks before the war started that I put the deposit on it.

1 hour ago, Mars said:

I did acquire a Clansman system that I need to install after I remove the rest of the old radio wiring.

I believe it was 1-2 weeks before the war started that I put the deposit on it.

Are you installing the radios as well, or just the intercoms?

If you have the mounting hardware for the 353s, I'd love pics and/or measurements.

4 minutes ago, teletech said:

Are you installing the radios as well, or just the intercoms?

If you have the mounting hardware for the 353s, I'd love pics and/or measurements.

I am using the vehicle as a technology demonstrator, so installing original radios isn't in the plan.

I've removed the Bowman radio racks and am designing new rack systems in it's place.

What are the 353s? I take it that is a specific radio configuration?

6 minutes ago, Mars said:

I am using the vehicle as a technology demonstrator, so installing original radios isn't in the plan.

I've removed the Bowman radio racks and am designing new rack systems in it's place.

What are the 353s? I take it that is a specific radio configuration?

Ah, got it, just Clansman for intercoms then.  I did see an interesting article about interfacing Clansman gear to COTS radios recently: http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/newsletter_articles/clansman_interface.pdf

Yes, the 353 was the most common radio fitted to the CVR(T) range vehicles.  They are 50W boat-anchors in the 6M band.

56 minutes ago, teletech said:

Ah, got it, just Clansman for intercoms then.  I did see an interesting article about interfacing Clansman gear to COTS radios recently: http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/newsletter_articles/clansman_interface.pdf

Yes, the 353 was the most common radio fitted to the CVR(T) range vehicles.  They are 50W boat-anchors in the 6M band.

What exactly do you need prints of? What are you trying to do?

6 hours ago, Mars said:

What exactly do you need prints of? What are you trying to do?

I'm trying to refit the clansman VRC-353 radios into a Spartan that had them removed and Bowman gear fitted.  So, I need the shelf they were fitted to, or drawings of that shelf.  So, if the Clansman gear you got to install in your vehicle had the radio shelf, I was interested in pictures or measurements of it.  If your Clansman gear didn't come with the shelf, then it's not relevant.