DAIMLER SCOUT CAR

Greenjacket

WANTED any WW2 or postwar history on

my Dingo Wartime census number F47471

Hi Les,

There is an IWM photo, number E14949, of Daimler, F47483, only 12 away from yours. On the assumtion that they could have been issued from new, to units in batches, this photo is dated 28th July 1942, with vehicle marked as 22nd Armd. Brigade. This might be a lead to narrow down your search.

Richard

DAIMLER DINGO 1942 Mk2

WANTED any WW2 or postwar history on

my Dingo Wartime census number F47471 or postwar number 12 ZS 78.

Trying to put together its history so any photos or history much

appreciated.

Note quite yours I'm afraid

I got all excited as I have some history on 12 ZS 44 & 12 ZS 94 which had an interesting role.

Oh yes, issued to the RUC in 1961 & fitted with 2in mortars for border security.

Clive,

Had a look at a list of survivors into preservation, from the last 30 years and did not come across those two WD numbers. They may have been in the bunch of Dingos that used to lay in Lindsay Burney's yard in NI, they were reputed to be the ex-RUC ones that the army did not want back. A chap over there bought the remaining ones, but I do not know their numbers.

Clive,

Had a look at a list of survivors into preservation, from the last 30 years and did not come across those two WD numbers. They may have been in the bunch of Dingos that used to lay in Lindsay Burney's yard in NI, they were reputed to be the ex-RUC ones that the army did not want back. A chap over there bought the remaining ones, but I do not know their numbers.

There were 35 altogether, I believe 14 are rusting away over there as the owner will not part with any.

Anyone answer how many Ferrets did the RUC have?

:-( I saw these Dingos in 1977 lined up against a hedge the stering wheels had been smashed and I was told the sumps were drained where they stood with the engines running till they seized at that time all the tin work was intact and the seats were still ok but the batterys had disintrigrated. the yard also had several QLRs in mint condition .price for the Dingos £500. oh how I wish I had bought it now. :cry:

:-( I saw these Dingos in 1977 lined up against a hedge ..............................price for the Dingos £500. oh how I wish I had bought it now. :cry:

They were regularly advertised at the time, in Exchange & Mart. I do know several people who have bought and restored some of those actual ones.

• 1 year later...
We jointly bought six Dingos from Ruddington sales in 1968, all runners, worked out at ...£37 EACH !!

In 1968 I had just started work at £8 a week. That means a Dingo would have been nearly 5 weeks salary.....

In 1968 I had just started work at £8 a week. That means a Dingo would have been nearly 5 weeks salary.....

That´s a good comparison for HMV prices "back in the good old days" . . . the British £ was still worth it´s weight in gold back then.

- Hanno

We had one from lindsays back in the eighties. I'm not sure weather the steering wheels had been smashed or they had rotted away as they are wood coated with bakelite.

The story we got told was he was exporting them to india, with him being in ireland there wasn't as strict export laws on them. The one's rowed up in the field were the last lot he was to send but the deal fell though and he was left with them. This last lot had been collected up from dealers at the time. The engine weren't run dry, or the one we had certainly wasn't but it had suffered a cracked block though not beng drained.