Restoring RE WD/C 1942

PaulJager

Hi everybody,

I introduced myself in the other topic, so here I will show some pictures and give some updates on the build of my RE WD/C from 1942. Already I learned a lot and got a lot of information through Jan that makes the build even more interesting and hopefully better. 

The bike is completely dimanteled right now, besides the engine and gearbox that are in the frame, but the rest needs preparing and fitting in the next coming months.

With the bike came 2 petrol tanks, but we believe the left one is the one to go for. The right one seems to be far too big, but we don't know to what bike it should belong because it looks pretty period correct. The saddle is not the Terry type, but a Lycett type. It looks old, but could have been swapped offcourse somewhere in it's lifetime. I think I will leave it for now and just replace the cover and complete the springs. The tyres will be changed to Heidenau K67 3.25*19. I will probably end up missing some parts, but first I will start with prepping the bulk of the metall items for paint and assembly and see if the bike can be made running.

The final goal is to make the bike like one of the pictures Jan posted somewhere in one of the topics here on the forum, because mine should be from the same contract and probably from the same series as the one that is seen on the picture.

If you have any tips, trics, comments, additions etc etc, please let me know. I'm very new to bikes and restoration, so any help is welcome.

Kind regards, Paul.

20220205_101406klein.jpg

20220205_140528(0)klein.jpg

20220207_083302klein.jpg

20220207_083539klein.jpg

20220122_102746klein.jpg

20220122_111006klein.jpg

20220122_111013klein.jpg

20220122_111139klein.jpg

20220122_111544klein.jpg

• Like 3

Hello Paul. I've restored several of these over the years from 1st contract to later WD/C. I have loads of pictures, so just ask. Jan has probably already told you that the RE models were mostly fitted with this distinctive "D" plate on the front nose of the saddle. 

Have you got the often missing center stand? If not I think I know of a freshly cast one that is probably for sale.  Ron

WDL 076.JPG

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ron said:

Hello Paul. I've restored several of these over the years from 1st contract to later WD/C. I have loads of pictures, so just ask. Jan has probably already told you that the RE models were mostly fitted with this distinctive "D" plate on the front nose of the saddle. 

Have you got the often missing center stand? If not I think I know of a freshly cast one that is probably for sale.  Ron

WDL 076.JPG

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your reply. Jan already mentioned your name and I also saw your replies in different topics, including your own. The saddle was mentioned by Jan and because I left it at the place where the bike is I could not verify which type I have. It now has been determined that I have a Lycett type fitted. For now I think I will use this saddle and at least try to get the springs fitted that I'm missing and maybe replace the cover for a repro one to use and keep the original cover in the garage so it won't be destroyed by using it. 

The stand was also mentioned by Jan and he already told me that you might have one available from a reproduction run that you did some time ago. Because I didn't pay attention to this particular part last time I was at the bike, I had a look last Saturday and I don't have any stand with the bike. So, no field stand and also no center stand. If you have one available for sale, I'm interested to know. 

Nice to hear from you and again thank you for your reply.

Paul.

Hi Paul

Ron emailed me regarding your missing centre stand as I may have a spare for sale? The WD centre stand (correct) is almost unobtainable, as I found recently when I went searching for one. I was lucky, if that is the correct word, to find one which Ron was able to get replicated. I will be collecting it and my original shortly, subject to everything being okay with them I am prepared to part with one and it’s fitting bits. Email if interested.

Andy

• Like 1

The rear frame is missing the brake pedal adjuster bracket but they can be made. The front frame looks to have sheared under the headstock so a professional repair may be required.

Regarding the petrol tanks, the one you’ve gone for looks like a late post war model G, the other tank looks to be correct. Can you post more photos?

On 2/8/2022 at 1:13 PM, Andy Tizzard said:

Hi Paul

Ron emailed me regarding your missing centre stand as I may have a spare for sale? The WD centre stand (correct) is almost unobtainable, as I found recently when I went searching for one. I was lucky, if that is the correct word, to find one which Ron was able to get replicated. I will be collecting it and my original shortly, subject to everything being okay with them I am prepared to part with one and it’s fitting bits. Email if interested.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I sent you a message.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your sharp eye. The bracket I had not noticed yet myself. Mainly because I haven't been working on the frame until now. I was planning to compare the frame to the drawing a came across here on the forum with the three types of frames depicted on it. Also the manuals that I have would have been compared to the frame itself, so maybe I would have seen it in the end. But it helps a lot if people with experience and know-how point these kinds of things out. 

In regard to the frame at the headstock, I already was pointed to this by Jan. We had a good look at the frame front last Saturday and can see there are repaires carried out somewhere in the past. And although they may not be carried out as we would do it right now or how the repaires would have been carried out by the army, it does look to be kind of period correct and the structure seems to be strong enough not to brake again. Our conclusion was not to fiddle around with the frame at this point and just leave it as it is. Only the future will have to show if any new, and in that case proper, repair is needed.

Regarding the petrol tanks, again, this was also the conclusion from Jan. The smaller model looks like a post-war model G type. And unfortunately the Swiss cheese tank is the right one for my bike. Because this one needs serious surgery, I'm first going to prepare the post-war version because that one is good and already prepared with new fittings and the right mounts. This makes the bike ready for using much sooner and with less money spend. In the new year or so I will have a look if I can find soemone who can repair the original tank for acceptable money and then replace it. Replacing it will be a small job anyway. We are aiming for a working bike first and getting it more and more accurate and complete in the months and years to come. Only the essentials I would like to have as soon as possible to get as close as possible to how the bike was probably delivered in 1942. But some room for improvement I will have to accept at first.

Regards, Paul.

Things will show up, they are far from rare bikes and it’s amazing how much will start showing up once you know where to look. For instance, I needed a centre stand for a WD/C, searched for a good 2 years with zero trace. Then, at the Newark auto jumble, I noticed an Enfield Rifle transit chest for sale, as I was looking it over I kicked something over with a clatter and the stall holder gave me a glare. As I bent down to recover the item I kicked, it turned out to be 2 NOS centre stands complete with wired on store’s labels, £10 each. Unbelievable!!

Petrol tanks, went to Netley marsh and bought 2 WD/CO, 1 WD/C and 2 post war Model J tanks (the type that were the same as the WD/C but with the large cut out for the cylinder head, may have been pre war J carry overs).

Its a good plan to identify the issues, get it running and then find the correct parts. Ron’s forever correcting things as new information comes to light. I’m always keeping my eyes peeled for parts and I’ll try and remember to post here if I see anything.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chris Hall said:

Things will show up, they are far from rare bikes and it’s amazing how much will start showing up once you know where to look. For instance, I needed a centre stand for a WD/C, searched for a good 2 years with zero trace. Then, at the Newark auto jumble, I noticed an Enfield Rifle transit chest for sale, as I was looking it over I kicked something over with a clatter and the stall holder gave me a glare. As I bent down to recover the item I kicked, it turned out to be 2 NOS centre stands complete with wired on store’s labels, £10 each. Unbelievable!!

Petrol tanks, went to Netley marsh and bought 2 WD/CO, 1 WD/C and 2 post war Model J tanks (the type that were the same as the WD/C but with the large cut out for the cylinder head, may have been pre war J carry overs).

Its a good plan to identify the issues, get it running and then find the correct parts. Ron’s forever correcting things as new information comes to light. I’m always keeping my eyes peeled for parts and I’ll try and remember to post here if I see anything.

Thanks in advance. I don't know if the market for spares is a lot bigger in England, but I would think a lot of stuff was left behind here in Holland and thus the market here should be also not that small. But finding things is just started, so I will just have to learn where to look for it I believe.

The WD/C saw limited service with the BEF in 1940 and several hundred may have been left in France.  A handful of survivors are known. They mainly saw service on the U.K. Home Front, as in fact did the WD/CO,  many of which had been transferred to the Home Office by 1944. There is actually no evidence that any of the four-stroke Enfields were officially on the establishment of any of the British-supplied army units in NW Europe...so any parts in The Netherlands will have arrived there later.

The scene is very international though and the Dutch have been plundering UK jumbles for years !😁

11 minutes ago, Chris Hall said:

That is a WD/C tank, just modified.

Ok, Jan also told me on the limited pictures that I sent him. But the tank now looked so different in comparison to the ones I now saw here, that I was wandering if mine is really the one I should use and maybe repair. I think I will just take my time and look for a better replacement. So, if anyone has something for sale or knows one for sale, please think of me.

• 7 months later...

Well, long time no see. No posts don't mean no work has been done, but it is about time to post some update. I have to admit, having the bike not at home or nearby is a bit frustrating at times. But things are progressing slow but steady. Although I sometimes feel like I'm being thrown back 2 steps when taking 1. I come across quite a lot of things I wasn't expecting to be fair. It suppost to be a complete bike with minor work needed, but it turns out there are more parts gone or in need for repair or replacing than I was thinking it would. A few parts I know I need for sure:

- footrest bar

- footrests both sides (probably, see pictures)

- throttle handle

- lots of bolts and nuts to have BSC ones again fitted

- saddle

- headlamp complete

- spedometer complete

- stand

- clutch parts to be able to operate and adjust the lever

- battery holder (part of it anyway)

- decompression lever (I believe)

- exhaust (maybe only first bend, but maybe complete)

- carburator (now a very big Amal one)

and hopefully this will be it, but the experience until now is not promissing.

But, I learned a lot already and learn every day. And the information here on the forum and what I already received from Jan is priceless. Thank you a lot all of you. The resto from Ron, actually Ben I believe, is also a great source of information. Although I just found it because of it being somewhat further away in the forum threads, I cannot get enough of reading it and looking at all the pictures. Very nicely done. Hope Ron is better again in comparison to what he experienced in the thread.

So, where are we now? I have painted a lot of parts. Did I go about it as Ron did? No, I first want to get to a working bike and use it a bit to see what improvements, corrections, replacements etcetera I will need to carry out afterwards. So, the chance is very big I need to take things apart for sure in the nearby future anyway. At least, that is what I am preparing myself for. So, a lot of sanding, blasting, cleaning, priming, painting en testfitting is now on the way. Now I am awaiting a big bulk of BSC nuts and bolts from Nookies to replace as much as is needed to replace all bad or wrong ones. And by doing al the above I came acroos all things wrong, so we are not there yet.

I will post some pictures of parts I believe are wrong or need repair of replacing, but I would like to have your opinions and hopefully help in getting some of the parts if possible. Please let me know.

Regards, Paul.

20220730_115012crop veer.jpg

20220903_164557crop carb.jpg

20220122_105239crop.jpg

20220122_105242crop.jpg

20220122_105302crop.jpg

20220226_122021crop veren.jpg

20220226_122856crop battery.jpg

20220226_142406crop.jpg

20220526_110814.jpg

20220711_111945.jpg

20220716_122848.jpg

20220903_164557.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So, after a long silence, finally again some progress to report.

The parts from Hitchcock are still underway unfortunately, but it is coming together slowly. The saddle frame, battery carrier and rear brake plates need some detailing, bit fit very nicely. Thanx to Jan.

The new bolts and nuts from Nookies I have glassbead blasted to get rid of the shiny surface. Started to add the nuts and bolts to fix parts now for real.

And the replaced Amal 274 carb is fitted now, yeahhh. 

So, still some miles to go, but I am glad to see some progress now.

Regards, Paul. 

20221229_115209.jpg

IMG-20221229-WA0005.jpg

Hi Chris. They are cast in malleable iron from an original "short" version by the foundry I use in London and I got the machining done locally.  They are £240 if anyone needs one........ I won't be repeating the process. 

Happy new tear. Ron

Edited by Ron

On 2/10/2022 at 10:09 PM, 79x100 said:

The WD/C saw limited service with the BEF in 1940 and several hundred may have been left in France.  A handful of survivors are known. They mainly saw service on the U.K. Home Front, as in fact did the WD/CO,  many of which had been transferred to the Home Office by 1944. There is actually no evidence that any of the four-stroke Enfields were officially on the establishment of any of the British-supplied army units in NW Europe...so any parts in The Netherlands will have arrived there later.

The scene is very international though and the Dutch have been plundering UK jumbles for years !😁

I get this Rik, but the motorcycle scrapyard I visit about once every 2 months here locally in Holland has a lot of WD-D parts, primary chaincase (now on Ron's WD-D) engines, and heads, there was also some WD-C and CO, also NOS stuff, but bought all that 4 years ago when mine was being restored. 

Cheers,

Lex

IMG_3912.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_9057.jpg

IMG_9058.jpg