Suspension alignment series 2 land-rover

davetroke

Are there people in this forum that know about series 2 vehicle repairs?

I had it ages, paid £1000 pound for it years ago but always had a problem with the suspension alignment.

I was wondering how accurate you need to be with the adjustments? The local garage said they have a height gauge they would use been looking just wondering about the size?

Cheers.  

They were never designed to sit level unloaded and will only sit level under certain circumstances of loading.

RH  (UK Offside) springs have increased curvature , this often gives a worse appearance on a highway with camber.

Unless you have new springs of exceptional quality - you are wasting your time and £

When leaf sprung LR were still being manufactured , the springs (made by Bramber Eng.) were tested just prior to fitting - so they hardly trusted Bramber.  So where did the rejects go  ?   

Bramber Eng. ceased spring production for Series, abt. 1984.    AFAIK spares (genuine) supply was then taken over by British Springs of Telford ,   BS were then taken over by Owen Springs of Rotherham a few years later.

"Some"  say the best springs are now made by Jones  (possibly because they are used on LR  'Reborn' ) - that sees arguable , the grade of steel may be excellent , suspension quality may be excellent - I would not buy , some of the clips I have seen seem fitted by a village blacksmith , they just paint stencil the part number on & most important to me they don't BRAND on a end-leaf  JONES & the spring No. .  There are 3 or 4 other makers , not including parabolics.

• Like 1

As Ruxy wrote, the factory springs are different side to side, supposedly to cater for the battery, fuel tank and driver on the right although the engine and gearbox are offset to the left. You don't need a height gauge to measure between the axle and chassis, a simple ruler or tape will do but be aware a sagging spring at one end of the vehicle will give a false reading at the other end. What state are the spring and chassis bushes in, they can collapse and alter the height?

• Like 1

It is possible to have a twisted chassis , abuse or distortion caused by lots of weld repairs.     Any checks , the average garage floor or drive is not sufficiently accurate.  The best floor datum is such as a factory floor , or better still a modern car showroom  - they are done more accurately  - if you can find one to drive in.     A quality long Stabila spirit level can come in handy to get the chassis port/starboard level for ongoing checks.     Possibly the laser levels for brick-laying that have taken over from the Dumpy could be used  ?

A general check on springs / bushes - are the shackles well upright ?   If they are laid well back it is a sign of deteriorated springs , often seen on sagged springs = probably very cheap aftermarket ones from India or PRC.

• Like 1